It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Already Posted. (Who Cares??)

page: 1

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on May, 18 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I get annoyed when I click into a thread about something I've never heard about, and the first few comments are along the lines of "this was already posted a while back."

Who gives a damn? Most of the time I see these comments, it's about a subject I've never heard about or something I'm not extremely familiar with.

What's so horrible about bringing up an old topic?? Perhaps other people who haven't seen it yet can offer more insight. Maybe new members have joined and otherwise never would have known about it. There are so many threads on this site.

I can understand if someone says a topic was already posted, includes a link to the thread, and explains it. If all you're going to do is state it was already posted however, you're not really contributing anything, ESPECIALLY if that previous thread didn't get anywhere.

I swear to GOD, if anyone posts that this rant was already posted a while back, I will....do nothing and turn red.

edit on 18-5-2014 by oldetimehockey4 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I agree. While it isn't good to have the same topic posted several times in one day, the threads end up reruns -

when the topic was discussed more than a week ago, it is probably off the radar for newbies and for infrequent "regulars" or people who go on vacation, etc.

Posting a link to the old thread is great, but shutting down the thread is not right, unless it is still headlined in (home/top/new/live/recent)

Anyway, that's my opinion.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: oldetimehockey4

I see both sides to this argument - often old threads go cold and if you comment on them the conversation is long dead anyway, so nothing happens. So therefore creating a new thread breathes life into a topic that is worthy of repeated discussion.

The other side is that great info can get lost in the maze of multiple threads on one subject.

Perhaps you should post a question to the board about this. Merging two threads on the same subject might be a good idea for instance.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: oldetimehockey4 I agree with you but it seems it don't just stop there. For example how many post are there about current news events locally or nationally or world wide, most of us do have a TV or Radio and we hear about it, but then you see the post and the same info is being passed along nothing new in the post that is not already known.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   

If it was already posted a while back then fair enough but if it was already posted yesterday , last week or last month then why not point that out as long as a link to the existing thread is also posted , whats the point in going over old ground over and over.

The problem is people don't search properly before they post to check if something has already been posted and then blame the search engine for their own inadequacies.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I agree with you. If a thread was made within a day or two of another identical one, then it's a waste.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Thread Title:

Already Posted. (Who Cares??)

So, skip on down…

But…

Skip on down!

Just because someone else is being egocentric, does it mean you have to?

link   
a reply to: markosity1973

That's a great idea in my opinion. I won't take credit, so maybe I'll mention it to them with a copy of your post.

I would think they'd be intelligent enough to do that, and I'm sure they are. They may have even discussed it, and didn't implement it because of a lack of resources/manpower?

link   
a reply to: intrptr

Yes. Egocentric of me, and definitely self-righteous of you.

edit on 18-5-2014 by oldetimehockey4 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
The 'it's already been posted' comments are usually referring to some newsy item, a thread for which has already been started and is sitting on the 'NEW' page, sometimes several within minutes of each other.

The problem lies when people start a thread thinking they've got a scoop and never bother to check even the slightest amount before they start a thread.

And yeah, many, many topics here on ATS are rehashed over and over and over again from every conceivable angle. Newbies without a clue abound and some very learned members have long since moved on to other pursuits after either learning what they could, or throwing their hands up in exasperation.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
The problem is people don't search properly before they post to check if something has already been posted and then blame the search engine for their own inadequacies.

Then again, some people do search and the dam search engine doesn't work even after spending over 10 minutes typing in various keywords.

Sometimes, just sometimes it does NOT work!!!

Kindest regards

Spiro

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   

We care. It brings the quality down. At least look down the NEW button top of the page...so we don't have to get a "BREAKING! MIssing plane, Nigerian schoolgirls...etc...etc"...10 times, just worded different.

There were 4 of the same thing yesterday posted minutes apart. Everyone wants to be a reporter. They are not...so quit searching and look at the NEW THREADS....Geez

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Well ... if it's an old topic being revisited ... like lets say Denver Airport ... or Ghosts ... then a new thread on an old topic is great IMHO. But if it's 5 or 6 threads all talking about one article that came from CNN about ... let's say AL Gores Beard ... then one thread is all we need. I think it's just a matter of what the topic is.

That being said ... I don't like the new search here. It never seems to pick up the subjects for me when I'm doing he search before posting a thread. Maybe others have better luck ...

ETA ... if it's ever a thread on the Flyers winning the Stanley Cup, then we can't have enough threads about that, right?

edit on 5/18/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Multiple threads on the same new thing are pointless. (da plane)

A new thread on a theory that hasn't been discussed in over a year or so, more understandable.

...and no the search engine isn't very good. I have done searches with exact key words from the title and failed to find a thread.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: oldetimehockey4
a reply to: markosity1973

That's a great idea in my opinion. I won't take credit, so maybe I'll mention it to them with a copy of your post.

I would think they'd be intelligent enough to do that, and I'm sure they are. They may have even discussed it, and didn't implement it because of a lack of resources/manpower?

Go ahead and ask if you want. I've never bothered to because I just presumed it was not possible due to limitations in whatever software runs this site.

You never know, if you ask, it might inspire them to look into it

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   

I think someone posted something about this,wait I'll find the link....

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   

I agree with you. I wish people were nicer on here

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I'm one of the people who don't always catch something the first time it is posted and am grateful to see someone else post the subject. I agree though that repeated posts on the same day and topic is not needed.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 06:42 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Hah, my poor Philadelphia Flyers. When will our defense learn to check the man in front of the net instead of gazing at the puck trying to block it every time? I feel so bad for goalies in this city, they're an easy scapegoat. If Mason didn't stand on his head, that series would have been over in 4 games.

top topics

join