It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to remove your `secure info` from the net, advice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I have recently deleted my FB and Twitter, and want to remove any billing details/ adresses i have on anything like amazon or itunes/ skype and if possible actually close most of them permanently

No i am not some criminal on the run, but i am just too weary of companies collecting data or `big brother having his eye on your` kind of thing.

I got skype to physicaly delete my skype account and they told me any billing info i had used on there for past payments will automatically be delete
Hmm, what about things like ip, surely it still keeps a log of every ip i logged on for every call right?

I just really want to distance my self from this social media/ stay connected world .. which cleverly tricks people into giving all their detail (you know my brothers FB says his job when he started, where he works, when he married, his bday etc and its all public ie ample info for somebody to just take his identity), its just scary how these companies so easily obtain this information from us.

Anyway, when account is closed, is your adress/ billing info truly removed or do they mantain it for records
Also with regards to ips do they still show up?

Would be great to know how these things work, i just want to use internet for hotmail/ sport/ videos in future, i think im going to use pre-paid non registered cards for payments too.

Thanks in advance for any replies

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I'm no 'techie' but I know from experience it's a pain to close a FB account. Well not really but when I closed mine the rule was you could not access the account for 14 days from the request. If you did access the account the request to close the account would be void and you were required to make a new request to close the account.

Your thought of using prepaid credit cards is excellent. I very seldom use the internet to make payments. I'm not saying the payments aren't secure but I typically receive junk mail, spam in my email, and worse of all telemarketing calls if I pay online.

Obviously companies sell or trade information. The laws are too lenient - it is what it is. Be careful.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: minusinfinity
I'm no 'techie' but I know from experience it's a pain to close a FB account. Well not really but when I closed mine the rule was you could not access the account for 14 days from the request. If you did access the account the request to close the account would be void and you were required to make a new request to close the account.

Your thought of using prepaid credit cards is excellent. I very seldom use the internet to make payments. I'm not saying the payments aren't secure but I typically receive junk mail, spam in my email, and worse of all telemarketing calls if I pay online.

Obviously companies sell or trade information. The laws are too lenient - it is what it is. Be careful.

Yeh, it just shocked me when i used to try and sign up for a site and it already knows all my fb contacts etc

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: uninfluenced
I have recently deleted my FB and Twitter, and want to remove any billing details/ adresses i have on anything like amazon or itunes/ skype and if possible actually close most of them permanently

No i am not some criminal on the run, but i am just too weary of companies collecting data or `big brother having his eye on your` kind of thing.

I got skype to physicaly delete my skype account and they told me any billing info i had used on there for past payments will automatically be delete
Hmm, what about things like ip, surely it still keeps a log of every ip i logged on for every call right?

I just really want to distance my self from this social media/ stay connected world .. which cleverly tricks people into giving all their detail (you know my brothers FB says his job when he started, where he works, when he married, his bday etc and its all public ie ample info for somebody to just take his identity), its just scary how these companies so easily obtain this information from us.

Anyway, when account is closed, is your adress/ billing info truly removed or do they mantain it for records
Also with regards to ips do they still show up?

Would be great to know how these things work, i just want to use internet for hotmail/ sport/ videos in future, i think im going to use pre-paid non registered cards for payments too.

Thanks in advance for any replies
How adimirable,congratualtions on your descision.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: uninfluenced

It great to be security conscious with online services. Shopping and social sites in particular.
However, keep in mind that when you remove or delete something, it is typically just marked as "deleted" in their database, not actually removed.

Server logs, access logs and so on are never (almost never) edited to remove entries.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: uninfluenced

It isn't as simple as that, there are 'recorders' of the state of the web (like the WayBack Machine) that keep historical records of some web data.

Also, as a techie, I know that the constant process of "trimming" data out of databases would be an ongoing cost and consumer of resources that companies are not required by law to do and would render this unlikely.

It is more likely that a flag is added to a "do not contact" field in the database and all metadata (as it is linked to other records and is not deletable without corrupting the "referential integrity" of those other records) would in fact be retained.

What happens on the net is for all time.

edit on 16/5/2014 by chr0naut because: Even when edited!

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I agree with AnonymousCitizen , Whenever you delete accounts like facebook, amazon etc... It will show deleted to you however on their actual logs and database it will not be deleted. Best way to remove everything is not to ever go online or even log on to the internet period. But this day and age is kinda hard to do that when you have great sites such as ATS that you want to visit

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I closed my FB account.
about a year later I open new one in same name and Email.
ALL the old information was STILL their!!!

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: buddha
I closed my FB account.
about a year later I open new one in same name and Email.
ALL the old information was STILL their!!!

thats crazy, so like you didnt actually delete it at all
and they still have just as much acess to your info when you `close` it, as when you open it

god knows how many people close their FB and think `thats the end of that`, not knowing their info is still all there

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   
If you want to stay anonymous, then don't post your personal information.... It's as simple as providing a false name, address, bday, etc... You can overwrite your original data, simply by providing false information. Before you delete a FB account, delete/change as much of the editable data as possible. This ensures that what's being saved, isn't sensitive information anymore.

I've deleted all of my personal accounts (accounts that used to have my personal information on them) from all social media and use aliases for everything that I sign up for.
edit on 16-5-2014 by Aedaeum because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Aedaeum

That's what I did. I changed everything as far as personal information that was there, and then went through and deleted as many posts as I could ( I only had the account for a couple months) and then "permanently" deleted the account. Or so that was what I was told, but at least the info that is saved in there isn't anything I need to be worried about.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 12:31 AM
link   
It's very very hard to remain anonymous, your facebook is there and will still be there, to who knows when. I've closed my fb several times, and when I log back in, it's like I never missed a step. They have a database on you, and they share your info with other Corporations and so on. It's a Corporatocracy...............a govt run by and in favor of the Corporations......Period. We The People, Do Not Matter, we are cattle to be herded, into which ever paddock they choose. It is so very sad, to open your eyes to such BS.........Good Luck

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 02:18 AM
link   
worst thing is for the current teen generation
about 90 per cent of them are all on fb, either through parents or relatives or friends `linked photos`

be it baby photos or colllege photos/ graduation photos its all there

its just scary

apparently FB knows more about my 5 year old nephew than i do..

ugh

top topics

join