It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Technology to Move Objects With the Mind Has Been Created by Mexican Researcher!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   
This system is able to process thoughts then translate them into a command to move objects, making it very useful for people who cannot speak or move. The disadvantage is, it causes mental fatigue.

However, a Mexican researcher has designed an intelligent interface that reduces the mental fatigue, and it is capable of learning up to 90 percent of the user's instructions.

This project is called "Automating a brain-machine interface system". Christian Isaac Peñaloza Sanchez, a PhD candidate for Cognitive Neuroscience, Applied to Robotics at the University of Osaka, Japan, is in charge of the project.

Read more: www.disclose.tv...

"I have worked for three years in this project, based on brain-machine interfaces, whose function is to measure the activity of neurons in order to obtain a signal generated by a thought, which is processed and converted into an indication for moving, for example, a robotic prosthesis, a computer pointer or house appliances," says the scientist, who is part of the Mexican Talent Network, Chapter Japan.

He explains how the system consists of electrodes placed on the scalp, which then measures brain activity in form of EEG signals.
These are then used to detect thought patterns generated by the user (awaken, drowsy or asleep, etc.) and levels of concentration.

It also includes a graphical interface that displays the available devices or objects, which interprets EEG signals to assign user commands and control devices.

In addition, there are wireless sensors distributed in the room in charge of sending environmental information (such as temperature or lighting); mobile hardware actuators which receive signals to turn on and off appliances and an artificial intelligence algorithm.

What will they think of next?! This is wonderful!!! Hat's off to this guy!!

edit on 5/15/2014 by sled735 because: correction

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Honestly, this is nothing new.

They have had the tech for this for a while, they are just now advancing it a bit.

They have had mind/computer interfaces for a while. Once they had that, then all they have to do is some programming.
edit on 15-5-2014 by andr3w68 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: andr3w68

Seems this one is more advanced, and causes less fatigue for the user.

Anything improved is new in my book.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: sled735

Its certainly a step in the right direction, though at this point we are fumbling around still.

Its not a direct brain to device interface, its more like learning to tweak certain muscles to assign it to movement through a passive reading of the brain.

Sensory feed back, and direct connections are a long way off, though we are advancing.

One day this type of technology could make it possible to bypass spine injuries, put a receiver above the point of damage, and another below that can mimic the signals, etc.

Give it 5-10 years , and we will be seeing wonders in medicine.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: sled735

I can agree with that since the point of the post is to highlight the the improvement of a system that had a negative in it. I'm not so sure of the Disclose headline though, a wee bit of license there.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

Yes, I agree about the title.
I just posted the same title from the source page. They will have to deal with it. LOL

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I keep up with this technology sector but had not seen this. I still have not since the page will not load for me. Perhaps it is also listed on reddit which would explain why it does not load or perhaps they block visitors from my country. Is there another source?

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: sourcecontroller
The only other link I found was from that page. Try this:
Phys.org - News and Articles on Science and Technology

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Excuse my lack of enthusiasm, but elbow grease is just more satisfying. You will never get the hormone burst from the endocrine system like when you push your body to the limit. Sorry, I find this can be useful in certain situations yes, but I rather use sweat, blood and tears.

Plus, the energy needed to move a rock with your mind will come from somewhere, from us? Or another energy leech will be introduced. I fear this will make us yet weaker still and more dependent on energy.

You can't create energy from nothing you can only transform it. How and where is the energy coming from?
edit on 15-5-2014 by bitsforbytes because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: bitsforbytes
Excuse my lack of enthusiasm, but elbow grease is just more satisfying. You will never get the hormone burst from the endocrine system like when you push your body to the limit. Sorry, I find this can be useful in certain situations yes, but I rather use sweat, blood and tears.

Plus, the energy needed to move a rock with your mind will come from somewhere, from us? Or another energy leech will be introduced. I fear this will make us yet weaker still and more dependent on energy.

You can't create energy from nothing you can only transform it. How and where is the energy coming from?

LOL! Well, I don't think it was constructed for the 'lazy' people out there, but, I quote,

for people who cannot speak or move, but have the disadvantage of causing mental fatigue.

Read more: www.disclose.tv...

Seems pretty awesome to some paraplegics, I'm sure.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: sled735

Yes, I was short sighted on that one, I forgot about those who have to live with this challenge. Well, I still see a hurdle considering the energy needed, I guess that is the challenge at hand with this technology.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   
This is way cool! Cool find. SnF!

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 01:02 AM
link   
great....I JUST CANT WAIT TILL ITS WEAPONISED!

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 01:22 AM
link   
I wonder if these things will have a 'safe word/error correction'. Person thinks "Machine heat up my tv dinner", Robot responds "Command initiated: Now eating your dog"

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 07:13 AM
link   
What would happen if they make them wearable all the time and someone is laid in bed and has a nightmare, smashes his wife over the head with a titanium prostetic arm and kills her in his sleep? Whos responsible for that???? a reply to: sled735

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Lompyt

IMO, I think the dreamer would be responsible. If he had his negative issues under control in his 'awake' hours, he wouldn't be having nightmares in the first place, unless it was a demon affecting his dreams. Then it would be the demon's fault.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   
i think the way the montauk scientists did this is a little better. imo broadcasting brainnwaves that have been amplified . you dont have to program a machine just amplify the power we already have. my firt post^

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: revoltsquad806

I'm honored you chose my thread to make your first post! Welcome to ATS, Revoltsquad. I hope you enjoy your time here.

Make sure you have lots of caffeine standing by because this place is addictive. And check the clock every now and then. What seems like 15 minutes actually turns out to be 2 hours that you've been here. LOL

Thank you for your post.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: sled735

thank you i read one of your post about you losing something and getting it back after 3 months . ive been studying that on my own for awhile and almost fell outa my chair when i read it. lol finally somoeone else

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   
a reply to: revoltsquad806

Care to share what you experienced?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join