It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are you so sure?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: rockintitz

The only thing I'm sure of is that I'm unsure of most things! lol

I was born and raised a Catholic but I am an agnostic now by choice. Some people have told me in the past that being an agnostic is a clever thing, as I can say I was right whether God exists or not......but this is not why I am an agnostic.

I love science and believe in things that have been proven by science, but really, there are still so many questions unanswered, so many mysteries, so much we don't know, all of us, even the cleverest of us.

I really am a skeptic, of both religion and atheism because I don't believe in God and I also can't confirm his non-existence.......and I live my life trying to learn, to research, to question......trying to find answers. But I am a spiritual person, I believe we are more than this flesh....in fact some scientists believe we have a soul, and are researching about it.

I simply know that I know nothing.
S&F!

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockintitz
Atheists are sure that our universe, our earth, our lives are, random chance. Based mostly on words written by another person.
Religious people are sure that our universe, our earth, our lives, are fate, Based mostly on words written by another person.
Why are you right? Or wrong? Or of course, unsure.

Anyone who claims to be sure of anything about this existence is either lying to you or has been mislead/misguided/brainwashed into believing such a thing.

Our observations can only take us so far.

You'll find me somewhere between random chance and fate

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   

I am sure that there is more to this life than we can touch, see, hear or even understand. This I am sure of due to a Near Death Experience.

Everyone has different ideals and beliefs about the universe, god and why we are here. I base mine off of personal experiences and try not to bash other peoples beliefs. This is why I have such an issue with organized religion. Who is man to decide what is right or wrong in the eyes of god.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Im sure there is a lot of things we don`t know.

Don`t know if its God, aliens, diffrent dimensions, life after death, if we are a cancer cell in some sort of body, if the universe has a wall, if there is a meaning, a plan, if this is a sandbox game, if its just a big coincidense, if the universe never ends (My brain understand that my brain can`t understand that something does not end somwhere)

I belive in what is....we just dont know what it is yet, but im excited to find out!!

The name is not the thing named.

I am sure we are not the center of the universe.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Atheists are sure that our universe, our earth, our lives are, random chance. Based mostly on words written by another person.

As I see it, this a false premise. Rational atheists aren't 'sure' as that is synonymous with certainty and the science they base their perspective on holds few certainties about the beginnings of the universe or life within it. There are certainties that arise from the Laws of Thermodynamics and facts about the universe and life - there are fewer facts as we get closer to our origins.

Religious people are sure that our universe, our earth, our lives, are fate, Based mostly on words written by another person.

There's a ring of truth in this as the major religions include 'end-times' and there's no way to escape the fact that 'fate' is implied. At the same time, despite some extremists, I wonder how many average religious people ever consider 'fate' or 'end-times?' They believe in a supreme being and heaven (and the bad place) without going all out into end-of-the-world scenarios. Some might argue about that, but I've never heard anyone mention end-times in real-life.

IMO it's wiser to stay in the middle-ground and that makes me a complacent agnostic.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ophiuchus 13

originally posted by: rockintitz

Why are you right? Or wrong? Or of course, unsure.

1 feels many nonbelievers when encountering the hardships associated with the Life and Death phases within EXISTENCE seek CREATOR GOD or GOD SENDS for support when themselves or those they Love are experiencing the hardships.
not saying my outlooks are right or wrong for many of my personal metaphysical/physical experiences strengthened my beliefs beyond...

NAMASTE*******

But how do we prove personal metaphysical/physical experiences when we cannot get telepathy to really work well so that people can know what you/we are experiencing? How do prove the physical feeling of a kundalini root flow to a person who have never experienced it?

When I was young a person gave me healing to make me feel better. I was so sure there was some kind of technical machine she was using to create the heat in my body and would not believe in anything than materialism for years even if I liked sci fi. Now days I even know myself how to do reiki to other people and it is no big deal but that is because I was given enormous proof and experienced what I would call low level telepathy.

And if we are able to share the experience is it a good thing to do it? Think of how you would feel if you were allowed to know what the bliss feels like for a second but then have it taken away and have to know that what you experience is not the maximum experience of what being alive is? In a way giving the experience temporary and then take it away is cruel.

Namaste
edit on 14-5-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

You have a misconception.

Agnosticism is not in the middle of theism and atheism.

Theism and atheism deal with the belief or lack of belief in a deity.

Gnosticism and agnosticism deal with knowledge. Either knowing or not knowing.

I'm an agnostic atheist who doesn't believe in a god, like the christian one, but of course there is a possibility of a god since we dont know much about the world. Anything could be real, we just dont know.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 12:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger

How did the tree get there in the first place? Did the tree get there by coincidence?
It's literally impossible for me to look at a tree, then the forest, the entire ecosystem, and not
think that there is some intelligence behind it.

That's what I keep coming back to...as I said I have my belief that intelligent design 'started' it then let us walk

But all of it...matter, space, time (I know time is our invention) but where did it come from? Where did the ability to for there to "be" matter come from?

I don't believe that intelligent design plays such a role that we are determined...but I just can't bring myself to believe that something came from...well nothing or that it always 100% existed without it being "put" there

now who or what did it? No clue...hell I may be 100000000% wrong to believe in Isis and worship her but it speaks to me and thus I do as I do...the huge difference is (and both sides can read this) is that I don't tell others that the word of Isis is truth

I am so sick of two things

1. Atheists and the religious telling the other side they are wrong

and...the big one

2. Atheists and the religious telling the other side to stop pushing their views all while pretending they don't do the same stinking thing themselves...so darn hypocritical

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: KyoZero

originally posted by: ColeYounger

How did the tree get there in the first place? Did the tree get there by coincidence?
It's literally impossible for me to look at a tree, then the forest, the entire ecosystem, and not
think that there is some intelligence behind it.

That's what I keep coming back to...as I said I have my belief that intelligent design 'started' it then let us walk

But all of it...matter, space, time (I know time is our invention) but where did it come from? Where did the ability to for there to "be" matter come from?

I don't believe that intelligent design plays such a role that we are determined...but I just can't bring myself to believe that something came from...well nothing or that it always 100% existed without it being "put" there

now who or what did it? No clue...hell I may be 100000000% wrong to believe in Isis and worship her but it speaks to me and thus I do as I do...the huge difference is (and both sides can read this) is that I don't tell others that the word of Isis is truth

I am so sick of two things

1. Atheists and the religious telling the other side they are wrong

and...the big one

2. Atheists and the religious telling the other side to stop pushing their views all while pretending they don't do the same stinking thing themselves...so darn hypocritical

All great content above. I don't like saying anything with ardent certainty. I am just open to new awarenesses or
up-sharnesses, as it takes 'war' out of awareness. I too marvel at nature and think that is Intelligent design somehow and am happy to let it be. Spiders's webs, moths that look like snake eyes, a perfectly devinely proportionate symmetrical pinecone swirling with hundreds of neatly packed seeds all with the potential to become giant pines. Its things like this that make me feel comfortable that it is unfolding as it should.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join