It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ice Cream Trucks ... ( Another Form Of Racism ??? )

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
There goes my childhood.

I usually get happy when this music is playing lol.

That pretty Ffffed up whoever thought this would be amusing to put in on a ice cream truck that kids love.

Subliminal racism Level expert.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cancerwarrior
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Funny thing about evolution. It's always happening. Even now. So if we, as humans, start breeding out an undesirable trait, say inherent racism (let's call it tribal behavior), and instead breed towards more social and tolerant traits (let's call it collectivism), eventually humans WILL have evolved away from the tribal mentality and become a collective species (like ants). So while you may be correct that we evolved this behavior out of necessity, you are incorrect that we could never get rid of it.

So your great idea is to breed the racism out of people? Wow.....so tell me how is that going to work? What, we castrate anyone who does'nt want to sleep with a black/white girl/guy? How is it going to be determined who is racist? If I'm singing the lyrics to a Easy E song does that count as racist? Or do i have to be black?

Good luck with your eugenics program. I don't see what could possibly go wrong with a selective breeding program for racism.

Huh? Where did I advocate any selective breeding or eugenics? I just said that evolution is always working and if racism becomes truly socially taboo and shunned, we will naturally breed it out. You are reading too far into my post.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Racism wont be gone until everyone looks alike... heck, just the skin, and its all good.

You could be green in the inside but as long as you have the same outer skin, its all good.

Then again, some old folks ain't helping it either and keeping it alive.

huge solar flare that makes everyone blind or solar radiation that burns off skin. That'll fix it!

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: captaintyinknots

Somehow I had a feeling this racist version of the song was an adaptation of an earlier piece, as is how music traditionally rolls.

At best, you could make the argument that the TUNE is DERIVED from a racist song, and even that is a stretch, as it was a fiddle tune with no lyrics to begin with.

But hey, whatever people need to think....it never ceases to amaze me how far people will stretch to try and make a point...
edit on 13-5-2014 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   

You did say that if humans start breeding out an undesirable trait like "tribal behaviour" then we will evolve away from that and become a collective species.

I still don't see how that is possible.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: luciddream

Racism wont be gone until everyone looks alike... heck, just the skin, and its all good.

Even then, people will still find conflicting differences.

Then again, some old folks ain't helping it either and keeping it alive.

Funny you mention that, most of the really racist people I know of around here are young and black. The old black people are always way friendlier.

huge solar flare that makes everyone blind or solar radiation that burns off skin. That'll fix it!

Yeah, that will "fix" lots of things.

edit on 13-5-2014 by Cancerwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Even if its not a stretch, just the origin of this song has a nasty stain is enough to see it differently.

Wonder how many people know about this song.

Its not really a stretch either, its very closely related.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: luciddream

Even if its not a stretch, just the origin of this song has a nasty stain is enough to see it differently.

Wonder how many people know about this song.

Its not really a stretch either, its very closely related.
It is absolutely a stretch. Please, go back and have a look at the history of the tune, and the song.

Nothing racist about it.

The origin of this song was as a fiddle tune with no lyrics. How is thata "nasty stain"?

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Cancerwarrior

I don't really see racism from young kids nowadays... i seen kids of different colour go to another kids home etc etc,,, which i cant say like 40 yrs ago.

Also, the racism are more like a joke now a days...more of a stereotypes.

I only experienced racism from older folks, they weren't black either. Maybe Canada has better people all together.

Im at a point, i can tell difference between Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese... Indians, Sri Lankans, Guyanese, Pakistanis.

i can say older folks aren't knowledgeable as me... racism is born from ignorance.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: FarleyWayne

You what ????

Sounds like someone has too much time on his hands

if it's not commies under the beds it racists in the kitchen

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I don't believe ANYTHING I read in the Daily Mail. I ALWAYS look further, because they lie ALL the time.

Early 1800s - "My Grandmother Lived on Yonder Little Green" (an Irish song)
1820 - The original fiddle tune of "Turkey in the Straw" (no lyrics)
1829 - 1834 - "Zip Coon" copied from Turkey in the Straw

So, of course, The Daily Liar has it's story wrong. Again.

Source

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX
lol..holy crap!
-that moment when your innocent childhood memories become twisted into some dark realization-

Before the kneejerk "its not racist" crowd comes in, I do actually recommend you read the article...because yeah...that's some pretty bad roots of the song. (can't it simply be switched to like..twinkle twinkle little star or something)

Some gems of the root song:

Using a music hall call-and-response technique, Browne's lyrics were set to the melody of Turkey in the Straw, which is turn dates back to an even older British song, 'The Old Rose Tree.'
Browne: 'You n*****s quit throwin' them bones and come down and get your ice cream!"
Black men: (incredulously): 'Ice Cream?!?'
Browne: 'Yes, ice cream! Colored man's ice cream: Watermelon!'

Holy crap...there are times when I forget just how damn racist people were back in the day.

The history of this song...shesh..if the KKK had a theme, this would be it.

See, and they say deny ignorance...I could have went my entire life without this knowledge and been better for it.
Yep..time to change it.

But again, the melody goes back to an even older British tune so, simply because one person put racist lyrics to it does not make the song racist.

Go back far enough in the history of anything and you'll find racism in every society and from every culture and race. It is a waste of time to go back a hundred years to find something to be outraged about.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
I don't believe ANYTHING I read in the Daily Mail. I ALWAYS look further, because they lie ALL the time.

Early 1800s - "My Grandmother Lived on Yonder Little Green" (an Irish song)
1820 - The original fiddle tune of "Turkey in the Straw" (no lyrics)
1829 - 1834 - "Zip Coon" copied from Turkey in the Straw

So, of course, The Daily Liar has it's story wrong. Again.

Source

Actually, i just googled it and saw like 6-7 sources in the last 5 hours.

There is more updated(and racist) version other than the one you listed.

I can't seem to find the full lyrics to the racist one... but searching !

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: luciddream

Are you black and living in canada? It sounds like it. From what I hear canadians are pretty tolerant of all colors of people.

I'm white and living in the dirty south. We are two opposite ends of the spectrum.

I see this story on more news sites now, so I guess this is the new ernagawd white folks is racist news story for the week.

edit on 13-5-2014 by Cancerwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Cancerwarrior

Are you black and living in canada? It sounds like it

Nope. Not mixed either. im one of the other races that is not spoken often.

From what I hear canadians are pretty tolerant of all colors of people.

Possible my experience is influenced by Canadian lifestyle.

white folks is racist news story for the week

Everyone lives with the stereotype, white folks are not exclusive lol.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: FarleyWayne

I said it on another website about this story, and I'll say it here:

The swastika used to be a symbol of good fortune and luck--it, too, was bastardized and stolen from its original, benign roots.

The same thing happened with this melody, only it was able to make its way back to the happy, good-times mainstream and jetison its association with those racist songs.

Now, we can be happy that it is back in its rightful place, or we can focus on the wrong things in history and be a constant Debbie Downer about everything. I'll take the former road...the latter does nothing good for anyone. I'm not saying forget history, but this melody was not created to be racist, nor is it racist anymore. We should be proud of that as a culture, not try and reignite flames of racism with it.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cancerwarrior

You did say that if humans start breeding out an undesirable trait like "tribal behaviour" then we will evolve away from that and become a collective species.

Correct, now explain how I said any of that was forced upon people and could not be something occurring naturally through natural mate selection.

I still don't see how that is possible.

Then you don't understand how evolution works. If a person finds racism to be undesirable, they will seek out and mate with someone who isn't racist. They will teach their children not to be racist. Keep repeating this (obviously children rebel, so it isn't a linear progression and may involve some backtracking, but that's how natural evolution works). Eventually all these small steps compile together to alter the way that most if not all of humanity thinks. None of this is to say that it will DEFINITELY happen, just that it could. And keep in mind, this result would be a product of many many many generations and we would never see racism evolve out of our species in our lifetimes.

One more point, just because something is highly unlikely, doesn't mean it is impossible and I think that is where your logical breakdown is occurring. Though if I am wrong, feel free to elucidate.
edit on 13-5-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: captaintyinknots

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Somehow I had a feeling this racist version of the song was an adaptation of an earlier piece, as is how music traditionally rolls.

At best, you could make the argument that the TUNE is DERIVED from a racist song, and even that is a stretch, as it was a fiddle tune with no lyrics to begin with.

But hey, whatever people need to think....it never ceases to amaze me how far people will stretch to try and make a point...

Well the fact that this thread has continued after you posted your information is very telling of exactly what you are talking about. Music is music. It is neither offensive nor positive, it is when you add the lyrics (a poem) to be sang on top of it that makes it so.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I'm familiar with it as a lyric-less melody, I didn't even know it had lyrics. I'm still going to perk up a little and smile at my childhood memories of chasing down the ice cream truck when it passes through on Sundays. Guilt trip fail here, sorry. < shrug >
edit on 5/13/2014 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join