It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fantasy Collaborative Writing Contest Idea [Please Opine]

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 01:31 AM
link   
I considered something like this for the general chat forum...

I did quite a bit of GM/DMing in my past, its been a while but I think I could still think up an adventure or two based around text...

maybe one day... neat idea though

why is it only open to writers?

edit on 10-5-2014 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Like Akragon I am a GM. Plus I just adore fantasy. I have had an idea for a great character brewing in my noggin for sometime this might be the push I need to actually do something with him but it would have to be at least a high fantasy setting. Hopefully tenth changes his mind about the whole writer status thing...

Also, I have never done any collaborative writing. Any tips on what to expect and/or methodology or perspective?

edit on Cam1Saturday5420143531Sat, 10 May 2014 01:54:35 -05002014 by CagliostroTheGreat because: eta

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

..i'm thinking we bill it as a modern-day rendition of jack sprat but throw in a tarantino-esque twist towards the end?
zombies maybe?

why is it only open to writers?

did you miss the plot twist on page 1?
edit on 10-5-2014 by UNIT76 because: MacGuyver once wrote a complete series of novels with nothing but a matchstick, an old skittles packet & twenty three norweigen cheerleaders.. true!

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Very awesome idea, but I think it should be open to all members.

We have something like this going on in The Shed.
I started a story, and other members added their own version...of how we all ended up 'together' in a magical land.

Some of these members don't have 'writer' status on the site, but their writing skills are amazing!

I'm having major glitchy issues here the past few days, but would love to participate.

jacygirl

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Hey tenth,
I really like the idea, the entire concept actually.
Role playing.
I have an idea about the member/writer aspect as well.
What if we let who ever want to participate, do so.
Then after the voting a "writer" is paired with a "member" for stage 2.
Question:
Will the two post in stage 3 be collaborative or will the characters strike out on their own at that point?
Quad

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Just some background guys.

I've been playing dungeons and dragons Pen and paper for over 20 years.

I'm a DM by trade and I'll be running this much like a classic 3.5 campaign. For those of you unfamiliar, don't worry Im not using any rule sets or anything specific.

Most likely this will be fantasy based. A world similar to the Forgotten Realms. I may introduce Star Jamming as well depending on if you guys enjoy the idea of scifi fantasy.

It will be open to all members.

The type of character you play will be class based and chosen from listings I make, your backgrounds and personalities, will be entirely up to you however.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower
Please say barbarian, please say barbarian...

Man, why would you still run 3.5 when pathfinder is a thing, I mean, aside from the fact that you probably have a small fortune tied up in 3.5 material. PF is just the same but without all the bugs! I am a Pathfinder grognard, if you couldn't tell...

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Plot:

We start our "adventure?" In the strange land of Usa-onia, where the local Government has taken control of the people's lives and are slowly bleeding the life and money from them.
The government in control is made up primarily of evil blood sucking vampires who will stop at nothing until we are all enslaved or broken..............
Wait, that sounds just like............??
Oops, my bad.
It's an election year and I have been spending WAY too much time in the "Mud Pit".

Um....... I think I may need help.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Sounds really good tenth! I am gonna enjoy this.
Hope you are planning on having theives.
I am glad you opened in up to all members.
People could vote for the best "member" post then vote for the best "writers" post. You could then pair a meber and writer up for the collaboration.
Thanks for this, I need a distraction.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

Here's the problem.

Pathfinder is too easy.

I'm a fan of old school. In my campaigns you don't find a magical item till level 6 at least.

You can't play warlocks or scions cause they don't exist. I make my players track calorie count, sleep deprevasion and water requirements. All based on real life values.

I make your equipment make fortitude saves when a fire ball goes off or you fall down a cliff.

I'm as hard as hard can be. Because in my games if I'm not killing player characters every dozen games or so, I'm being boring.

My house rules make it more of a rogue like dungeons and dragons if you know what I mean.

So even 3.5 has a lot of dumb things. Like alignment restrictions and such. I did away with it entirely actually. I use an "event pints" system instead. So if you do something really evil and appalling. You just might develop PTSD and take some stat penalties over time or forever without the right kind of magical healing.

Hard is good lol

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Har! You're one of those DMs, eh? I love all that stuff, don't get me wrong, I really came to like PF mainly because I deal with noobie players and, well, they frankly couldn't handle realism that intense. Hell, they get mad when I ask when they last ate or if I call for fort saves after the camp got jumped the night before and they chose to force march instead of rest more.

I can see your point though.

Have you heard of the new d20 game, 13th age? Its made by one Guy that worked on 3.5 and another that worked on 4. Its pretty sweet, so rules lite its almost ridiculous. Additional g in all your little player killing toys would be a cinch and I think you might like the way they handle "true" magic items. As in, magic items are so rare you almost never see them and when you do they amaze. Check it out its pretty cool.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   

For this it's going to be fluidly and nice though.

I'm just gonna set the stage and let everybody run with it.

Mindflayers are always fun.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
Mindflayers are always fun.

If by fun you mean deadly and terrifying, then yeah, they're a barrel full of monkeys.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Add a half dozen class levels of fighter and sorcerer along with that template and you've got yourself a riot of monkeys.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I love it!

I'm in.

It sounds like it will be a fun challenge. I like the idea of the knockout stages.

I think it would be nice to see non-writers compete equally with writers though, for the same chance to get to the next round.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   
We aren't following the DND rulesets, right? Just the gidelines?

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Exactly. I will have further details once I settle them. It's going to be very simple.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tsu322
I love it!

I'm in.

It sounds like it will be a fun challenge. I like the idea of the knockout stages.

I think it would be nice to see non-writers compete equally with writers though, for the same chance to get to the next round.

I think some non-writers' work is better than the writers' work. Perhaps the "writers" (only) do need this challenge. Carry on.

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Hey folks.

Just an FYI I'm gonna be out a few days probably. I need to have some oral surgery and mouth pain doesn't lend itself well to good writing.

Should be back around Wednesday or so although I might be on to reply to further suggestions or questions.

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I'm up for this, count me in!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join