It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians Worship Your Master

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I am surprised that is the worst reference to alleged slavery you could find in the Bible. I guess the Old Testament is not so horrible when it comes to slavery after all.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: ArtemisE

I think this verse might lend some credibility to the theory that Jesus was a roman creation to stave off rebellion. It sure is convienient for a society always worried about slave rebellions, for there religious texts to say don't rebel and be a good slave. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

In all your wisdom, you have found the one and only absolute
interpretation of that verse. Or at least the one that best fits
your bias and lifestyle.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   

If you work for money and spend the money you make, you worship a master. The master's name is Capitalism. Though, that's not the real name.

It doesn't matter if it's actual slavery, religious slavery or monetary slavery; that's just how this world operates. Better get used to it.
edit on 8-5-2014 by tyranny22 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   
a reply to: tyranny22

While I agree with your main point. Real Slavery isn't the same as our slavery to money. No ones going to rape my daughter or wife because of capitalism.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

Yea because I'm a Christian who worships my master. Actually this is one of about ten verses that condone slavery and rape. I used the one from Paul in the new testement because of the argument against old testent law.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 02:01 AM
link   
I find it interesting that the criticism of slavery in the Bible comes from slaves who mistakenly think we've left all that behind, and that we're now somehow morally superior (no thanks to the Bible). Don't thumb your nose at ancient slavery like we're so much more civilized.

"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?" Matthew 7:3

Look around you. Slavery is everywhere--it just looks a little different nowadays--and we support it through our complacency and acquiescence. The coercive domination of everything you do and think is ubiquitous. It has always been this way, and it will always be this way unless there are completely radical and fundamental changes in the way human beings perceive reality and their place in it.

Such an event, some might say, would necessarily be of biblical proportions.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 02:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick
The verse should give some perspective into what we are actually doing here. I can not tell you why suffering was the chosen metheod to heal ones spirit into a pleasing form but that is what humanity has been doing all along and we continue to suffer today

I can offer some perspective on that, I had a deep conversation on religion with a trainee priest that was under my watch as a security supervisor. He is of the firm belief that many of us in the Western world don't need religion (and we are lucky for it) as we don't know true hardship and suffering. It is mostly through these methods that people turn to an omnipotent being for help. Desperation fills pews...

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 05:45 AM
link   

I was pretty shocked too by the references to slavery in the bible, which seem hypercritically tolerant of the concept. Sadly, it reads more like propaganda from the slave masters.

There's also this in The Old Testament:

EXODUS 21
Laws About Slaves

"Now these are the rules that you shall set before them. When you buy a Hebrew slave, he shall serve six years, and in the seventh he shall go free, for nothing. If he comes in single, he shall go out single; if he comes in married, then his wife shall go out with him....

..And it continues with rules about beating your slaves and such.

My issue is that this is supposed to be 'the word of God', but why would God set his sights so low? Wouldn't he want to eradicate injustice, rather than simply making it less unjust?

That's why, to me, this smacks of the word of man, not God. Rules for maintaining the status quo. Play your part by being 'fair' to your salve to avoid mass rebellion.

But i guess it's dealing with real world issues, rather than spouting rules that can't be followed. It does follow the 'turn the other cheek' doctrine; accept your lot and you'll be happier than if you keep rebelling. The antithesis of Spartacus.

edit on 9-5-2014 by McGinty because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 06:09 AM
link   

The christians were not even about to toss off slavery in that day under the Roman empire. This is christianity according to cultural realities. And yes, the directive does indicate that that some slaves were having problems reconciling their faith with their slavery. As bad as it looks this passage is really not a justification for slavery but a directive on how to act for some who couldn't get out from underneath these cultural conditions.

However, in the course of human events, slavery was challenged and justified at the same time by men claiming biblical justifications for emancipation by some and slavery by others. The issue came to a head as we know several times.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 06:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock

As bad as it looks this passage is really not a justification for slavery but a directive on how to act for some who couldn't get out from underneath these cultural conditions.

Well put, but what that means is that the bible is the concoction of men. Or does God want slavery, so long as it's mostly 'fair'?

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Logarock

In that day they were Jews and the Jews were specifically waiting for a warrior king to help them throw off the yoke of Rome. That's why they didn't believe Jesus was the messiah. So I don't know what you mean by that. Slaves have always wanted to be free.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: McGinty

Because the Hebrew / Christian god wasn't about justice. He was about control. All the lovie dovey stuff was added in the new testement. The Jews believed they were chosen and everyone else was there's to step on. The entire bible is the word of man. The editing process is well documented.pool pit preachers play off people's lack of knowledge as they teach the bible is the infallible word of god.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   

The scriptures refer to paid servants, not unpaid servants (slaves).

Servants (paid employees), be obedient to your employers placed over you physically, with honest hearts as you obey Christ. Not pretending to care, as those who try to please others do, but as you serve Christ (sacrifice the will of self for the betterment of others in business).

In this verse the term Master is presently understood as "employer" and the term Servant is presently understood as "employee".

Basically, be the best employee for your employer as you can be, in honesty and self sacrifice; in the same manner you try to be the best disciple of Christ, in honesty and self sacrifice.

You must see spiritually to understand scripture, otherwise you place your personal natural animosity toward Almighty God (bias) into all the personal interpretations therein.

God Bless,

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Romans 13
1 Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2 Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. 4 For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience.

6 This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants, who give their full time to governing. 7 Give to everyone what you owe them: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.

This is another example of the bible's ad campaign for authorities and rulers.

SUBMIT, SUBMIT, SUBMIT!

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro

There's a theory that the second we were self aware and able to realize how easy it is for us to die. We created god because life was dangerous and you had to put your self in danger to survive. That's why we created an after life. So we could charge into dangerous situations with some sense that it was gonna be ok.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: ElohimJD

No historian biblical or not thinks servant ,slave, maid and manservant were anything but slaves. That's just you trying to sugar coat it. Anchient Rome didn't have paid butler lmao. You bought a slave if you wanted a butler. Fact is this couldn't be farther from conservative evangelical positions.

What actual source did you get that the servants in the bible were paid? No real source that's for sure. Lol
edit on 9-5-2014 by ArtemisE because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: ArtemisE
a reply to: dollukka

How does worship your master as if he were Christ no encourage slavery?

This is new testement. I knew there was an augment against old testement laws or I could have added instructions of when you could rape your slaves as well. :p

Because the Greek word used in Paul's writing is doulos, and it is used over 127 times throughout scripture. And 120 of those 127 it is used to mean "paid servant" (attendant/employee) and only 7 times used to mean unpaid servant (bondman/slave).

This verse is regarding paid servants or simply employees, and has to do with how you execute you job at work for your employer and not slavery in the modern sense.

When it refers to "masters" later on and instructs them how to act, it is referring to employers.

God Bless,

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   

en.m.wikipedia.org...

No it isn't... It means slave. Stop letting your paster confuse you.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   

No historian biblical or not thinks servant ,slave, maid and manservant were anything but slaves. That's just you trying to sugar coat it. Anchient Rome didn't have paid butler lmao. You bought a slave if you wanted a butler. Fact is this couldn't be farther from conservative evangelical positions.

What actual source did you get that the servants in the bible were paid? No real source that's for sure. Lol

I am a biblical historian!

I am speaking the 100% truth

Strong's concordance (original Greek recorded scripture) Greek lexicon ref# G1401 occurance 127 times, 120 times paid servant, 7 times unpaid servant (bondman).

Just because other historians agree with you, doesn't discredit the accuracy of my claim.

God Bless,
edit on 9-5-2014 by ElohimJD because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   

en.m.wikipedia.org...

No it isn't... It means slave. Stop letting your paster confuse you.

An encyclopedia you can edit.

Or actual lexicon from Greek.

You choose who you let confuse you.

I know the Word of God.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join