It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PA man shoots 11-year-old nephew dead while demonstrating laser sight on his forehead

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: minkmouse
I'll bet this guy lives out the rest of his life with a guilt I don't even want to envision. A dead child and a life of pain, so sad when you think about it. This guy will wake up every morning for the rest of his life hoping the nightmare is over...It never happened. Such a shame

Wouldnt be surprised if due to that guilt and the resulting outcome of his own stupidity he joins the "guns are bad" camp to crusade against his own stupidity.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Why would you put your finger on the trigger??? And why the hell would you point it at someones head??? Some idiots shouldn't own guns. It's sad. Guns are to be respected, even when they aren't loaded. Apparently this idiot wasn't taught that as a kid like I was. The only time that finger goes on the trigger is when you mean it and you know exactly what you are pointing at. gee whiz

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

Praise the ordinary heroes fighting to maintain the unlimited interpretation 2nd amendment and the rest of the stuff in the Constitution yada yada.

With each atrocity and mindless act, our denial and resolve hardens.

People will try and tell you it's wrong, or it's a cult. They are only trying to bring you down to their level. Call your elected gun grabber and tell them you are armed, have a round chambered, and they are welcome to "come and get it".

Praise the ordinary heroes.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: V22tech

If your IQ is below 100 you shouldnt have anything that could be used as a weapon.
I sold my pistol after I pointed it at myself once, then realized it was loaded and could have blown my own head off.
Seriously. You can't trust yourself, ever, to point a gun at anyone.

edit on 7-5-2014 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Seriously? What plausible reason does anybody have to point a gun at an 11 year old...much less a loaded one? You're testing the laser sight?? Dude go outside at night, and point it at a tree...are you kidding me? I don't feel sorry for this man in the least. He was stupid enough to do the absolute dumbest thing you can do with a weapon, and now he should live with the consequences of his actions.

I'm all for having guns. I think they are a necessity, especially with the way everything is headed, but that's a different topic. My point is that getting rid of all the guns isn't the answer, getting rid of the stupid people that have them is.

Bottom line, there is no reason to point a gun at another individual unless you feel threatened and you have the intent to harm. If you don't, there's absolutely no reason for this stupidity. Bottom line.

My heart goes out to the family of the boy.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: InverseLookingGlass

Praise the ordinary heroes fighting to maintain the unlimited interpretation 2nd amendment and the rest of the stuff in the Constitution yada yada.

With each atrocity and mindless act, our denial and resolve hardens.

People will try and tell you it's wrong, or it's a cult. They are only trying to bring you down to their level. Call your elected gun grabber and tell them you are armed, have a round chambered, and they are welcome to "come and get it".

Praise the ordinary heroes.

These are the kind of comments that make it easy for the "gun grabbers" to paint all gun owners as "gun nuts". There are many people on these boards. If just one of them take that bad advice you are spewing and has the responding SWAT team kill them in their home, well that's on you. Obviously you have never done that since your still here to provoke others. It's also the kind of thinking that gets 11 year olds killed. If you want, PM me your name and address and I'll make that call on YOUR behalf.

VinMan.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   
The man needs to sell his firearms and find a new hobby. As many have stated, a person doesn't point a firearm at anyone unless the intention is shoot the person. If a person does without intent to fire they are not responsible enough to own firearms.
edit on 5/7/2014 by roadgravel because: typo

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Hammerless automatic pistols are less safe than 1911 style pistols with hammers.

The Glock is the culprit in a lot of accidental discharges.

www.youtube.com...

Very dependable, but in my opinion it's a safety flaw.

There should be an obvious indicator like on the Beretta 92fs that lets you see if there is a round in the chamber.
edit on 7-5-2014 by Hmmmmmmm because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Many of you know I firmly believe in our right to bear arms, and the general enjoyment that comes from having fun with firearms. Some of you know I also feel strongly in regards to responsible carry, and highly encourage it.

That much said - the key word is responsible. Tragedies like should be a sad and painful reminder to those of us who own firearms and support our rights to them. You have the right to own and bear arms, but that in turn puts a responsibility on you to own and operate them in a safe and responsible manner. If you can't remember and adhere to the basic rules of firearm safety - then you shouldn't have them.

Own and carry -responsibly- friends. Negligence and complacency can kill, and we can't trust anyone but ourselves to avoid it.

My sympathies to this family.

Edit: I often see the phrase "accidental discharge" used in cases like this. Let's be clear: This was a -negligent- discharge, as are the vast majority, if not all of them. A modern, well manufactured firearm does not go off on its own. If you don't want the anti-gunners to dictate our firearm rules for us, then we need to own up to all the responsibility that is ours.
edit on 7-5-2014 by UnmitigatedDisaster because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hmmmmmmm
Hammerless automatic pistols are less safe than 1911 style pistols with hammers.

www.youtube.com...

There should be an obvious indicator like on the Beretta 92fs that lets you see if there is a round in the chamber.

The culprit in this case is a moron with a loaded weapon, pointed AT A CHILD.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Im from PA and didnt hear of this yet. Such a stupid wreckless tragic event. a reply to: alienjuggalo

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Very tragic but what moron in their right mind would EVER EVER EVER point a firearm at a person's head?

Unloaded...magazine or clip out...chamber cleared...and still I would not point a gun at another persons head.

It is so engrained in my mind that I would not even point a fake gun at another person..not even a finger gun.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   

www.youtube.com...

There IS an obvious indicator on the sides of Glocks that tell you if a round is chambered.
The Glock also has a trigger safety and 2 internal safeties.
The only way it will fire is if you pull the trigger.

Now speak of subjects you are knowledgable of and dont libel the good name of Glock
edit on 7-5-2014 by riffraff because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Like this:

LOADED CHAMBER INDICATOR
The user has always been able to read important parameters off his GLOCK pistol at a glance.
Trigger forward = safety activated.
Trigger pulled = safety deactivated.
The pistol also shows the user whether a cartridge is in the barrel or not. The extractor also serve as a loaded chamber indicator on all GLOCK pistols – and this entirely without additional components. Visual and palpable extractor edge.
Figure top = unloaded.
Figure bottom = loaded
link

Glocks should totally have one. Oh, wait.

As a side note, who even uses the indicator? I would not trust my life to a loaded chamber indicator. It takes a fraction of a second to pull the slide back and jam your finger into the chamber to check for a round.

The way people act either stupidly blowing their own heads off or demanding more "features" that they'll just ignore when they blow their own heads off makes it seem like that momentary action of grab, pull, inspect is the most involved and difficult thing anyone has to ever do.

Seriously people, just check the #ing chamber.
edit on 7-5-2014 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I second thisguyrighthere's advice for people to seriously just check the #ing chamber. And ffs don't aim the weapon at people:
“a gun is always loaded” (even when it's not)
is a mantra for good reason.

This isn't rocket science—and while it is obviously incredibly sad for these people—there's a definite element of Darwinism at work in cases like these...
edit on 7-5-2014 by 3mperorConstantinE because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
It's a tragic situation, and the man who pulled the trigger is solely to blame. Not that it helps that poor boy or his grieving family.

I was taught very early on to always assume a gun is loaded until it's been checked and shown otherwise. There is absolutely no excuse for not making sure. Even the offender Olm telling police that "he does not leave his guns loaded" is no excuse.

While I feel sorry for Olm in some ways, because of the guilt he will have to carry for life, I feel much more sorry for the boy and also his cousin (Olm's son) who witnessed the shooting, and the family members who have lost someone they love in such a horrible, senseless way.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I can't believe his parents didn't kill the guy, Christ...

Seriously, if I was that kid's dad I would have killed the uncle before the cops even got there.

originally posted by: roadgravel
The man needs to sell his firearms and find a new hobby. As many have stated, a person doesn't point a firearm at anyone unless the intention is shoot the person. If a person does without intent to fire they are not responsible enough to own firearms.

I think a 'new hobby' is the least of his worries bro. His main concern for the next dew decades will be sleeping in his cell with one eye open and his ass against the wall.
edit on 7-5-2014 by Xaphan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   
double post
edit on 7-5-2014 by Xaphan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Even the offender Olm telling police that "he does not leave his guns loaded" is no excuse.

Unless they are under lock and you have only access, and can be sure you never, ever could forget, get interrupted or make a mistake, even then check the firearm before handing it around other people.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: thisguyrighthere
You are totally right. The best indicator is your own eyesight, not some neat little gadget.

And the best safety mechanism for any firearm is the user's own good sense and good training. Sadly, it's the tiny percentage of irresponsible owners who lack one or both of those that mess things up for everyone else.

I once knew a guy who acted like a total idiot with his guns. Fortunately one day he shot himself in the leg and fractured the bone. (He survived.) I say "fortunately" for two reasons. One, he shot himself and not some poor innocent, and two, he learned not to play with his guns like they were toys.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join