It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has anyone had an issue with an MAF sensor?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Any news yet?
Parts come in on time?

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR

Well???? Got the parts in and it starts right up and then sputters out. I think it might be a plugged up catalytic converter, but also to note the check AT OIL Temp light is coming on and flashing as well.

Soooooooooooo, being it has over 200k miles on it, I just spent $200 for the recent parts, I think I am just going to scrap the thing.

I just can't justify spending a couple hundred more to not only get it towed to the exhaust place, but to have the catalytic converters replace, (yes it has two), I still might be looking at some sort of tranny problem.

Time to send the ole girl to the scrap yard in the sky.

Anyhow, I would like to thank you all for your input on the matter!

Time to cut my losses.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR

After sleeping on it.....

I am going to try one more thing that is cheap. I am going to spray some C foam cleaner down the intake and see if that might burn out some of the clog in the cat AND take out the O2 sensor and see if that frees up the sputter. After some thinking and some more digging, the AT oil temp light is coming on with a COLD start up. So it very well could just be some kind of glitch.

Anyhow, trying every cheap solution I have......

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Not sure if it's too late, but I suspect that AT Oil temp light is your transmission. (AT = AWD Transmission) Check the transfer clutch and AWD related stuff. (Sticking/malfunctioning clutch will stall the engine, no?) Probably needs flush, fluid, and filter, but at this point with a flashing temp light it probably needs a rebuild. Might also be a problem with the transmission cooler if it has one.

Keep in mind rule of thumb for idiot lights:
Solid - something you should be aware of, but can wait.
Flashing (sometimes with chimes) - keep driving much longer, you're going to break it. Get off road ASAP, don't drive again until repairs are done.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   
i had a cutlas supreme back in the the late 90's early 2000's.
the problem your descrebe sounds about like the one i had.
it would start and run fine for a couple of miles, and then start losing power and stall, then it would have to sit for a while.it also had black smoke coming out of the exhaust.

i had a buddy that was a mechanic at the local olds dealer, he brought home a hand held diagnostic scanner he got from snap on. it said every thing was fine. so we started replacing the sensors, first the map sensor, then the mas, as we were waiting for it to do it thing we had the car running and the engine started over heating, and boiled over. checked the temp sensors which it had three and the one in the block was bad. replaced that one and the car ran fine.

the next day he called the tech line at work and they told him that the sensor was sending a signal to the computer that the car wasn't up to temp and it was dumping more fuel into the injectors and flooding it trying to get it up to temp.

you might try that.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   
are you still having problems with the car? if so let me know....i am a mechanic and have seen some pretty strange stuff in my time, i would love to help!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join