It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Synthetic Diamonds

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I don't know if this is a repost but here goes.

www.wired.com...

I'm sorry, it's a long read.
The making of diamond based instead of silicon based IC's would be a huge leap for the semi conductor industry. I kinda like the fact that DeBeers are shaking in their boots. What this means to consumers is more heat tolerent chips. You can overclock them with out the worry of temperture build up.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Something like it was covered in:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I hope these new diamonds destroy DeBeers they arleady have taken steps to engrave their real diamonds with lasers to prove they are real. But I dont think people really will like to have their flawless diamonds carved up with a laser.

DeBeers has a monopoly on the Diamond industry so much so they can set the price of diamonds anywhere they want. The have to much control over how much diamonds are released onto the global market. They hold back a little one year and they drive the price up.

Emeralds are 20 times more rare then Diamonds and only the best ones can equal a diamond in price.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I don't think this is relevant but they are opening up a new DeBeers store on 5th Ave near 54th street. I like emeralds better anyways. Diamonds are too clear.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Well, Like I said, I'm no fan of DeBeers. Their monopoly has stimeid devolopment of it''s uses in industry. But Apollo diamond and it's chemical vapor deposition will allow, I think, computers of the next generation. How about lasers? What impact would pure diamond lasers have on weapons systems?
Anyone care to speculate?

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Well these new synthetic diamonds are yellow diamonds which are rarer than the popular 'white diamonds'. But check this out. Companies like DeBeers are giving jewelry appraisers these machines that tell if a diamond is synthetic or not within minutes. Evil corporations just wont let go of their monopolistic grab on society.

Synthetic Diamonds would eliminate the bloody diamond trade in most parts of Africa which is simply disastrous. Not to mention these diamonds are physically better than their natural counterparts and cost a fraction of the price.

for Synthetic Diamonds.

[edit on 11/28/2004 by Simulacra]

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Simulacra
Well these new synthetic diamonds are yellow diamonds which are rarer than the popular 'white diamonds'. But check this out. Companies like DeBeers are giving jewelry appraisers these machines that tell if a diamond is synthetic or not within minutes. Evil corporations just wont let go of their monopolistic grab on society.

Synthetic Diamonds would eliminate the bloody diamond trade in most parts of Africa which is simply disastrous. Not to mention these diamonds are physically better than their natural counterparts and cost a fraction of the price.

for Synthetic Diamonds.

Well Put!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 09:35 PM
link   
That will be the first retail store set up by DeBeers since WWII. The U.S. alleged price fixing and collaboration with Nazi Germany. The suit against GE (largest industrial diamond maker) was dropped in 1994, huh wonder who was paid off. Last year DeBeers agreed to settle the suit. The U.S. agreed to settle partly because of blood diamonds. DeBeers up until the settlement could not even set foot in the United States. They are ruthless. Russia probably has more diamonds than anyone. When they found the deposit DeBeers rushed in to buy the mine. Russia threatened to flood the market. The mine was sold to DeBeers at a hefty price. They did the same when GE perfected the synthetic diamond in 1953, they won a Nobel for it. Suddenly DeBeers was there and synthetic diamonds ended up in tools and expensive,. Its a shame that one of the most abundant gems ( just a rock at that ) kills so many. DeBeers is not a monopoly though.........they ARE a CARTEL. Much like a drug cartel if not more ruthless. Dying for a rock.. what crap. And its not like *rock coc aine*, hell people get addicted to that rock. Diamonds are just fing rocks.

Anyway. Sythetic Diamonds have been around a long time. Hopefully this company will stand its ground and shut down a silly rock trade. If they do, sell your diamonds soon. Keep the setting such as gold or platinum in the ring, bracelet etc.

It will be interesting to see what happens. I hope they show DeBeers the door. And I hope DeBeers gets hit in the ass on the way out.

This will be very interesting indeed. Kind of makes me wonder what oil companies will do when someone figures out how to make a car engine run on water.

[edit on 11/28/2004 by just_a_pilot]

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by just_a_pilot
Anyway. Sythetic Diamonds have been around a long time.

They have been around for a long time, I believe since the 1950's however to produce one diamond took an abundant amount of resources. I think somewhere near six times the price of a normal diamond.

However there has been an innovation of the Synethetic diamond market and surprising it was based out of Russia. The machine used to make the more efficient and amazingly fast 'yellow synthetic diamonds' was purchased out of Russia around five years ago. The machine was a little outdated and shabby, however with a little tweaking, it produced it's first mass of yellow diamonds a couple of years ago.

I remember reading a story where the inventor went back to Russia with a few of these synthetic diamonds, showed them to an appraiser and he quoted them at some astronomical price. Even though it just took around $80 of material to make them.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Companies like DeBeers are giving jewelry appraisers these machines that tell if a diamond is synthetic or not within minutes.

Companies in Russia have a synthetic diamond that is near perfect very hard to tell from a real diamond. This is one reason De Beers turned to engraving their logo and a ID number on their diamonds.

I have heard De Beers began shipping improved, even more sensitive DiamondSure machines to labs around the world though. But their other actions seems to suggest their machines are not perfect.

Also industry groups led by the Jewelers Vigilance Committee have pressured the Federal Trade Commission to force Gemesis to label its stones as synthetic. Strange action if they can just test them within minutes.

So I dont think those new machines are as good as they want everyone to believe they are nervous.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Hey hold up here guys. I like getting on the down with DeBeers ban wagon as much as anyone else.

But the point I found most intriguing was the Apollo Diamond angle and the chemical vapor deposition process. These guys can already make diamond wafers on the order of a couple inches in diameter. When they manage to make a diamond wafer on the order of 10 inches or so, then you'll see their stock go through the roof. Chip manufactures, Intel, TI, AMD, etc, will want to capitalize on this technology and there won't be a darn thing DeBeers can do about it.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by birddawg
Hey hold up here guys. I like getting on the down with DeBeers ban wagon as much as anyone else.

But the point I found most intriguing was the Apollo Diamond angle and the chemical vapor deposition process. These guys can already make diamond wafers on the order of a couple inches in diameter. When they manage to make a diamond wafer on the order of 10 inches or so, then you'll see their stock go through the roof. Chip manufactures, Intel, TI, AMD, etc, will want to capitalize on this technology and there won't be a darn thing DeBeers can do about it.

Something like quantum computing will be done before diamonds will be used in place of silicon chips. The REAL story is if they can bring down a entire industry ( company ) that has based everything on the BS that diamonds are rare and "Diamonds are forever". F em.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 11:16 PM
link   
The diamonds are real, just man-made. So synthetic is not the proper way to describe them. They are not cubic zirconia or anything like that. So DeBeers can't prove they are fake with a machine unless they just look for the sheer absence of flaws when compared to natural diamonds.

The yellow color is made by simply adding dopants to the reaction during manufacture. You could theoretically produce any color diamond of your choosing.

I run equipment like that used to make the ones in the wired article. We don't use the temps or pressures like in the following article but it shows these diamonds can be made by any company in the semiconductor industry if those chose to do so. It would be too easy. Funny, in the following article, they give a temperature range, and an atmospheric pressure, BUT they don't say what the RF energy is required for their plasma reaction. That's the third component of a CVD tool. I'm sure they use over 1000 WATTS of power, if their tools are more powerful than mine.

www.innovations-report.com...

With extra hard diamonds and fast growth rates, I'm more interested in them building tools and say things like an engine block out of one pure diamond. Think of a wrench mold and growing a diamond in it.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 11:28 PM
link   

I run equipment like that used to make the ones in the wired article. We don't use the temps or pressures like in the following article but it shows these diamonds can be made by any company in the semiconductor industry if those chose to do so. It would be too easy. Funny, in the following article, they give a temperature range, and an atmospheric pressure, BUT they don't say what the RF energy is required for their plasma reaction. That's the third component of a CVD tool. I'm sure they use over 1000 WATTS of power, if their tools are more powerful than mine.

I didn't think of the plasma angle as the article didn't mention it. I know nothing about this field but it fascinates me none the less.

Could the process be expalined in better detail?

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by CAPT PROTON

With extra hard diamonds and fast growth rates, I'm more interested in them building tools and say things like an engine block out of one pure diamond. Think of a wrench mold and growing a diamond in it.

I remember a show about how people could really travel to the center of the earth and they said only something like if the craft was made of solid diamond could it withstand the pressure and heat. Even if that was BS I wonder if deep sea crafts could use diamonds in that way.

I think they have only been able to make something like a 3 carat diamond so far size wise. I cant even imagine how many carats is in something like a engine block.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Diamonds are far more pricey than a truly free-trade market would have them.
They are controlled by De Beer's cartel, I am not sure if they are this point working with Russian diamond suppliers or not. They sure will have problems controlling the [non-South African] African diamond mining, those people are so poor and so much is at stake.

Short answer don't buy diamonds as an investment.

I thought the yellow color had to do with nitrogen getting into the diamond.

Does pure carbon work as a semi conductor?

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Good question Slank

As far as I know, pure carbon is a semiconductor. It will conduct under the right conditions( heat, electric potential, condutor composition) hence it's a semi conductor and a semi insulator. By adding other compund, dopping, you can alter the electrical properties of the medium. There is a substrate medium in which layers of dopped and nondopped materials are deposited on and if this medium is diaomond, then the heat tolerance is much greater. Hope this answers your questions.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I haven't read much about diamonds recently, hopefully I'll be able to read the site you posted soon, not likely, but once I get a break from school, I'll read it and I'll post what I think about it!

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Well these new synthetic diamonds are yellow diamonds which are rarer than the popular 'white diamonds'.....

Are you saying that natural yellow diamonds are rarer then white diamonds.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 03:13 AM
link   
synthetic diamonds are the reason why proper certification has become more & more important for the industry. people who spend money on gems don't want man-made ones, they want the real stuff. By the way, natural diamonds come in many colours (pink, green, yellow, whatever). Yellow diamonds are indeed a result of nitrogen.
Because these "fancy color" diamonds became so popular, tricks were developed to color gems artificially (they're much less valuable though, expert know tricks to see the diff). Synthetics are widely used in many industries (medical to aerospace), due to their extreme purity and their optical and thermal qualities - they're actually much more perfect than natural ones. But they're very unlikely to become competition for the jewellery business...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join