It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virginia proposal would limit size of gatherings at private homes...more rights at stake...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+25 more 
posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Well...this is really out of hand. I can't believe they are even trying to pass this? What happens if, like in most families, birthdays are all very close together, sometimes in the same month? Sorry kids, have to limit the number of friends you can have over.....

This sounds more like the first step in seeing if government can limit potential threats to their power by cutting off the ability to have gatherings at your own house.

I regularly have parties at my house with many more than the allowed number they are talking about. I would fear for more freedoms being stomped on if this goes into law....wonder how quickly it will spread to other states?

A plan to ban "frequent and large gatherings at neighborhood homes" is a lawsuit waiting to happen, a Fairfax County supervisor predicts.

Officials will get an idea Wednesday when public-comment hearings begin in Virginia's most populous county.

"I believe the county is risking a lawsuit and/or a constitution challenge by interfering with peoples' right to assemble," Supervisor Pat Herrity said in a statement.

The proposed zoning ordinance limits "group assembly" at residences to 49 people a day. Such gatherings "shall not occur more frequently than three times in any 40-day period."

Source

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Here is the original article: Watchdog

“This is yet another instance where we appear to be punishing the many for the actions of the few,” said Herrity, who reported a total of six complaints were received last year.

Church groups, scouting organizations or even sports fans drawn to a home’s big-screen TV during playoffs could be potential targets of the proposed county law. Realtors worry that even open houses would invite civil penalties.

John Whitehead, an attorney and president of the civil-libertarian Rutherford Institute, calls the Fairfax plan “nefarious.”

“Broad enactments like these have governments assuming that private property is their property,” Whitehead said in an interview with Watchdog.org.

“If you can’t determine what goes on at your own residence, you have surrendered your rights. The Constitution is founded on property rights.”

+19 more 
posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Not only do people need to speak up, but they need to fire the people writing these assinine unlawful ordinances. They're not laws, they're illegal. Only the constitution and common law is legal, color of law and corporate law is treason, its an unlawful bully trying to enslave someone.

Take away their medical and dental and pensions when you fire them. Draft lawful bills and insist that whoever desires to be elected passes these asap, and that nothing prevents them.
edit on 5-5-2014 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

This sounds more like the first step in seeing if government can limit potential threats to their power by cutting off the ability to have gatherings at your own house.

Maybe.

But I also think that sometimes bureaucrats just like to make their job as easy as possible. If they pass this ordinance they won't have to find/document reasons for shutting down a party and they won't have to make return trips when someone turns the music up after they leave the first time.

Of course there are also the whiners, that believe government should solve all their minor annoyances and maybe one of them is putting pressure on someone to enact the ordinance.

Anyway, whatever the reason, it's a bad law and should be opposed.

edit on 5-5-2014 by imwilliam because: spellin

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Yea. This seems like its getting out of hand. Lets see who can find the author of this zoning ordinance first.
edit on 5-5-2014 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   
un-blooming-believable!!!
So what happens if you want to marry in your own home and have a marquee for the reception?

Rainbows
Jane

+9 more 
posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Unity_99
...but they need to fire the people writing these assinine unlawful ordinances.

I think we should set them on fire and invite a minimum of 50 people to attend. These events should take place regularly until we are out of fuel.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Unity_99
...but they need to fire the people writing these assinine unlawful ordinances.

I think we should set them on fire and invite a minimum of 50 people to attend. These events should take place regularly until we are out of fuel.

Ha...now that is a good idea.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Legislators are out of their minds and out of control. They somehow need to be reminded they represent us and not their petty interests. They're like petulant kids that need a slap.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Bilk22

They're like petulant kids that need a slap.

It will take a mighty big slap for them to feel it, if you know what I mean.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I think from the articles, it is fairly obvious that either one of the legislators themselves or a really close friend lives in one of these areas and has had to file some complaints or something. Either way this is wrong and needs to be stopped.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I think we may want to keep an eye on Fairfax in the coming years. I believe Fairfax was the top choice the FBI to relocate to.
Fairfax.gov

The county also contains The independent city of Fairfax which has its own political affiliations separate from the county it's in.

Sounds like the perfect place to shake things up constitutionally.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheLieWeLive
I think we may want to keep an eye on Fairfax in the coming years. I believe Fairfax was the top choice the FBI to relocate to.
Fairfax.gov

The county also contains The independent city of Fairfax which has its own political affiliations separate from the county it's in.

Sounds like the perfect place to shake things up constitutionally.

Well that is certainly interesting. Maybe the new "Vatican City" in the US.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   
49 people seems like a lot
I wouldnt be happy if my neighbours had 49 people coming over daily, even weekly.
I live in a residential zone, not a commercial zone.
If a valid personal reason can be established for such a gathering then thats fine, but over 49 people regularly, that sounds commercial.

Maybe the regulations should give valid reasonsn as to purpose

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: borntowatch
49 people seems like a lot
I wouldnt be happy if my neighbours had 49 people coming over daily, even weekly.
If a valid personal reason can be established for such a gathering then thats fine, but over 49 people regularly, that sounds commercial.

Maybe the regulations should give valid reasonsn as to purpose

If they disturb the peace in your neighborhood, there are already laws against that.

I get awakened by the fireworks going off at the minor league baseball stadium a mile or two away from my house every weekend through the Spring and Summer. If I decided to simulcast the sound of that.... at half the volume... you realize I would be cited for disturbing the peace? But I have decided that I would rather everyone have more freedom than to try and shut down the fireworks put up by a for-profit enterprise just because it slightly annoys me.

+20 more 
posted on May, 5 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: borntowatch

I live in a residential zone also and pay property taxes. If I wanted to invite 50 of my friends over every weekend for a barbeque and we are not breaking any laws it is none of anybody's goddamn business what we are doing.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
Well...this is really out of hand. I can't believe they are even trying to pass this? What happens if, like in most families, birthdays are all very close together, sometimes in the same month? Sorry kids, have to limit the number of friends you can have over.....

I regularly have parties at my house with many more than the allowed number they are talking about. I would fear for more freedoms being stomped on if this goes into law....wonder how quickly it will spread to other states?

A plan to ban "frequent and large gatherings at neighborhood homes" is a lawsuit waiting to happen, a Fairfax County supervisor predicts.

Officials will get an idea Wednesday when public-comment hearings begin in Virginia's most populous county.

"I believe the county is risking a lawsuit and/or a constitution challenge by interfering with peoples' right to assemble," Supervisor Pat Herrity said in a statement.

The proposed zoning ordinance limits "group assembly" at residences to 49 people a day. Such gatherings "shall not occur more frequently than three times in any 40-day period."

Source

So who do I email or call to put my 2cent in?

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   
This sounds very suspicious...
What are they really up to?
I'd be wondering what else is trying to be passed around the same time that hasn't been mentioned, has teeth, and they're trying to hide whilst this is being sorted out.

This is so stupid - its ridiculous.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Nothing unexpected here..thats how all tyrannies work!

Eliminate the ability to gather and organize...the militia!

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: LockwithnoKey
Nothing unexpected here..thats how all tyrannies work!

Eliminate the ability to gather and organize...the militia!

Kind of what I was thinking as well. This would be part of a larger movement to reduce the size of gatherings on a Federal Level at some point.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join