It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trypophobia and Other Odd Phobias

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I have always been disgusted by things that have symmetrical or clustered holes, such as the honeycomb. It grosses me out so bad but I can't stop looking at it. It's a real problem, I know

I remember the first time I saw symmetrical patterns and feeling disgusted, I was 4 years old and there were clustered holes in the soap. Ahhhh!!!

A couple of years ago I discovered it's name, Trypophobia. Knowing other people were grossed out by silly things like honeycomb was oddly reassuring. About 16% of the population becomes "viscerally upset" after looking at images with clustered holes, such as honeycomb or the center of a lotus.

The term trypophobia[1] was coined in 2005, a combination of the Greek trypo ( drilling or boring holes) and phobia.[2]

Although it is not recognized in the American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders,[2][3] thousands of people claim to be affected by the phobia, which involves the fear of objects with patterns of holes, such as beehives, ant hills and lotus seed heads.[3]

So why do some people suffer from Trypophobia? It could be a survival instinct:

There may be an ancient evolutionary part of the brain telling people that they are looking at a poisonous animal," Cole said in a press release. The disgust we feel is an evolutionary advantage, even if we don't know it consciously, because it sends people with trypophobia running as far as possible from the holey thing.
full article
The incredibly poisonous Greater blue-ringed octopus, which sparked the Eureka moment.

Does anyone else suffer from Trypophobia (if you do I apologize about the images) or another odd phobia?

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
My only phobia is meeting tryphobics.

Joking. You're a freak but you seem cool. Thanks for sharing your weirdness.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Black cats crossing the street in front of my car. If they do I make a U-Turn and go around as many blocks that I have to to get away from that cat. My grandmother was very superstitious and told all her grandkids would die if that path was crossed. As an adult I know that I'm not going to die but I have that fear planted in to me. Not sure if it's a phobia or what but I have nightmares of black cats crossing my path sometimes and wake up sweaty.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: minusinfinity

Haha! It's so bizarre but I can't help it. I saw some cute little bees buzzing around my yard this morning and my brain went straight to honey, then honeycomb and before you know it I'm googling Trypophobia and getting grossed out. It's really a cycle of insanity!

edit on 2-5-2014 by Jennyfrenzy because: spelling per usual

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: LucidLucinda

Oh no! Kitty cat phobia!

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I don't have any phobias.

I'm weird.

But no phobias.

Although an interesting one is Kinemortophobia.

A fear of zombies.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

That is a weird one! Wonder what that's all about? Those people will be the first to go when SHTF and zombies are everywhere, more supplies for the rest of us!

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Jennyfrenzy

We all have fears.

For example I'm afraid of heights, terrorist bombers, and serial killers. (all of which could kill me.)

If you have a phobia it's okay. Oh I have 1 I'm afraid of spiders!!!!!!! Spiders freak me out!

What is that arachnophobia?

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Just as long as they aren't. . . . zom-bees!

(sorry)

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Do Zombees still produce honeycomb?!

Yes, Arachnophobia! Spiders are pretty scary too!
Thanks for the reassurance
Everyone has a weird little quirks!

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Heights make my knees want to bend in both directions, and spiders turn me into a screaming quivering mush.

J

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyJae
Whenever there's a spider in the house I run away screaming. I've been known to call my husband at work to come home and kill a big ol' spider!

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   

I'm a man but I scream like a girl when I see a spider!

What is up with spiders, why do they look so creepy?

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   

For me it's the legs and they tend to be fuzzy. The spiders that jump are extra frightening! Haha!

Plus you never know if it's poisonous or how bad of a bite they have. Some spiders produce some mean looking bites.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   
That is a weird Phobia. I don't like being trapped in tight spaces much, probably from crawling around in tight attics and crawl spaces a lot doing insulating. Not really a phobia, just sick of spending so much time in them. Lots of bugs in those places. When I was a kid, I was afraid of girls trying to take over my life.... I outgrew that one. I'm not really sure I should have abandoned that phobia.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jennyfrenzy
a reply to: LadyJae
Whenever there's a spider in the house I run away screaming. I've been known to call my husband at work to come home and kill a big ol' spider!

LOL! A spider the size of a pin head can set me to shivering
For some reason, they absolutely set my skin to crawling.

J

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I was afraid of girls trying to take over my life.... I outgrew that one. I'm not really sure I should have abandoned that phobia. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

LMFAO!!!!

I'm with you on that 1.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Lol! That's another unusual one...or maybe not! I admit, Women can be controlling at times

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   

I have never heard of your phobia, Jenny! Good to learn something new.

I don't have any phobias but a few months ago I found out about one and at first I thought it was a joke........but it's not...it's very much real:

Anatidaephobia: the fear that somewhere, somehow, a duck is watching you.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Agartha

That's definitely odd! Someone, somewhere in the world is currently freaking out and thinks they are being watched by ducks, haha! Wonder what that's all about?
Humans are bizarre!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join