It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Poll: Has ATS been infiltrated and infested with western establishment-paid shills?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 11:49 PM
link   

edit on 10-5-2014 by MALBOSIA because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Daedalus
a reply to: Vovin

i understand what a "universal language" is, and english isn't one, by virtue of the inescapable fact that not everyone speaks, reads, or understands it.

and "globalized world" is one of those faux intellectual terms...it's redundancy is unmissable....

again, my point seems to have eluded you.

Seems like there is a detachment from reality here, as in somebody's line of thinking is pre-1990. You points elude me because they are redundant, rendered obsolete by the modern world and my current generation.

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
It would be weird if there weren't.

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   

your generation? i guess you think i'm some kind of backwards old coot, who doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground...AMIRITE?

nothing you say makes any sense...but mostly because you engage in doubletalk, and the dissemination of untruths..

you asserted that english is a universal language, which it isn't.

and you used the term "globalized world", which is idiotic, and redundant....

it's kinda like saying "fish-flavored tuna"... it's redundant, and doesn't actually MEAN anything..

i have no disconnection from reality....in fact, i prefer to remain firmly rooted in reality...

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   

your generation? i guess you think i'm some kind of backwards old coot, who doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground...AMIRITE?

nothing you say makes any sense...but mostly because you engage in doubletalk, and the dissemination of untruths..

you asserted that english is a universal language, which it isn't.

and you used the term "globalized world", which is idiotic, and redundant....

it's kinda like saying "fish-flavored tuna"... it's redundant, and doesn't actually MEAN anything..

i have no disconnection from reality....in fact, i prefer to remain firmly rooted in reality...

Ok sir, whatever you say

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Leonidas

English is the most spoken language on the planet. Not sure how old the data you are looking at is. It is considered the international common language for business.

I think you are confusing native speakers which is Chinese, Spanish then English. However more people speak English than any other language.

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Concession Accepted.

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: raymundoko

while english may be the most widely spoken language in the world, there are still only an estimated 1.8 billion users..

it's an impressive number, to be sure....but when you compare that to the current estimated global population of just over 7 billion, you pretty quickly figure out that it's not a true universal language.

chinese, on the other hand.... if you look at this table, it becomes clear that there are more chinese-speakers worldwide, than english..

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Concession Accepted.

I don't believe I conceded anything. I just don't feel like wasting my time trying to rationalize to someone who doesn't care.

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   

you assume i don't care, you assume that rationalizing inaccuracies makes them accurate, and you conceded the moment you decided a condescending one-liner was a better option than actual discussion.

additionally....how in the hell did we get from shills to globalized english?

o wait, now i remember....you misunderstood something i said...
edit on 11-5-2014 by Daedalus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   

you assume i don't care, you assume that rationalizing inaccuracies makes them accurate, and you conceded the moment you decided a condescending one-liner was a better option than actual discussion.

additionally....how in the hell did we get from shills to globalized english?

o wait, now i remember....you misunderstood something i said...

No, it's because you decided to troll around and got the result you desired: attention.

And no, I don't really care about what your thoughts are because they are wrong. You're just making up nonsense to stir the pot. Remember when you posted that there's no such thing as a globalized world? That is an opinion far removed from the reality of the real, modern world and is quite absurd and in complete contempt of all the world's social sciences AND modern history AND economics.

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   

it's funny that you choose to define legitimate conversation as "trolling", "pot stirring", and "attention seeking", when you can't successfully defend your own statements with facts and information.

you did completely misunderstand what i said, and the only reason i said ANYTHING to you, was because you said something i knew to be silly, and i disagreed with it, and decided to engage you in conversation.

it's a fact that there is no such thing as a "globalized world". there's globalism, and globalization, there's a global community, global industries, but i dare you to find me a legitimate source that defines the term "globalized world"

there's just the world...call me wrong if you like, but that won't make the assessment correct...

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
From the initial posting:

""
Blind following of mainstream media sources (primarily western links), and the sourcing of said sources, in the threads and posts in question therein.
""

Made me kind-of laugh. Maybe the reason there are "western links" citing "western sources" is that we happen to live in a Western society (i.e. UK, US, W. Europe).

If the OP is unhappy that many/most people here have a "western stance" on issues he is free to visit Islamic, Russian etc. sites where I am sure there may be adequate numbers of "non-western" sources cited for whatever topic.

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   

it's funny that you choose to define legitimate conversation as "trolling", "pot stirring", and "attention seeking", when you can't successfully defend your own statements with facts and information.

you did completely misunderstand what i said, and the only reason i said ANYTHING to you, was because you said something i knew to be silly, and i disagreed with it, and decided to engage you in conversation.

it's a fact that there is no such thing as a "globalized world". there's globalism, and globalization, there's a global community, global industries, but i dare you to find me a legitimate source that defines the term "globalized world"

there's just the world...call me wrong if you like, but that won't make the assessment correct...

I have a degree that I spent five years in university on this very subject. Every textbook, journal and other work on global politics/geography/economics written since 2000 that I've ever seen clearly acknowledges that this is a globalized world. Maybe you just need to re-learn what globalization actually means.

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   

so what you're saying is that you don't have a source you can site, that defines the term "globalized world"?

that's fine, i wasn't actually expecting it anyway...

i'm walking away from this off-topic mess....if you'd like to discuss shills, i'd be happy to oblige..

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: raymundoko

English is the most spoken language on the planet. Not sure how old the data you are looking at is. It is considered the international common language for business.

I think you are confusing native speakers which is Chinese, Spanish then English. However more people speak English than any other language.

1. Mandarin.
2. Spanish
3. English.

English and Spanish are very close. Some respected sources interchange them. But with over 850 million Mandarin speakers in the world, it is by far the language spoken by most people.

But since you wont take it from me, look it up yourself.

I dont know how people can make assertive statements as fact when they are dead wrong.

edit on 11-5-2014 by Leonidas because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 12:36 AM
link   

That's native speakers...what aren't you understanding? Most spoken has nothing to do with native speakers.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 02:11 AM
link   

That's native speakers...what aren't you understanding? Most spoken has nothing to do with native speakers.

What are you on about? The numbers are plain and simple to understand. Look them up yourself.

The "Most Spoken" language on the planet...by a wide margin...is Mandarin. Period.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 03:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Happy1
a reply to: theantediluvian

I don't even bother looking at ATS during the daytime hours anymore - when I come home from work @ 0030 - there's much more intelligent and interesting threads than the stuff the "shills" spend all day posting....

Guess it's a 9-6 kind of job.

I think this is a priceless reply. Do you really expect in this vast array of non-joiners you would get people to actually cop to that, and choose a multiple choice solution that hems them in? Surely not. Surely you know your clientele better than that.

And I also really love Bybyots response , next, as well. He/she can't "establish what a western establishment is" enough to make a choice that you've provided, multiple choice. That, as well, is priceless, and totally evocative of the thinkers on this website, which I think your poll sells short.

There are many threads here about "shills" and "government operatives," etc……Surely we all know we are all here together…..
Tetra50

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 03:13 AM
link   

The world's common language is lurve, the "no pants dance" is the same in every country

Although if you tried it in a business meeting I don't think it would go down too well....

edit on 12-5-2014 by sosobad because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join