It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

22 Year Old With Down Syndrome Beaten By The Police For ‘Bulge In Pants’ That Was Only A Colosto

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
22 Year Old With Down Syndrome Beaten By The Police For ‘Bulge In Pants’ That Was Only A Colostomy Bag

A real threat, this one...5' tall with down syndrome.

I can't say anymore than has already been said about these situations. The boys in blue take to violence immediately, even when facing someone with a disability. It's so sad and disheartening. Where is the compassion?

A man with special needs is speaking out after he was left badly bruised by police.

Twenty-two-year-old Gilberto Powell, who has Down Syndrome, is left with horrible bruises and scars on his face after he had an encounter with police outside his home. "That's my son. That's my baby. I really love this little boy. He's my love," said Powell's mother, Josephine.

Article Source
edit on 4/28/2014 by freakjive because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: freakjive

A colosto? Is there a news article that comes with this video, for people who can't watch the video?

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: AfterInfinity

Sorry...the title was too long apparently.

22 Year Old With Down Syndrome Beaten By The Police For ‘Bulge In Pants’ That Was Only A Colostomy Bag

Link to additional article

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   

I think it is time, because of their abuse of restrainment and trunction use etc, that police should have to file a report when they use/or draw their truncations. Simply for the reason that it may make many of them think about why they actually drew it in the first place and ensure they had a reasonable reason for the action. It should not be done without a good reason otherwis its threatening behaviour, which they are supposed to prevent.

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   

This tears at my heart in such a big way. There have to be some people out there who will fight to restore common sense and decency that we used to be so familiar with in our police forces. Brutality on display shown to the weakest and most vulnerable is just not acceptable period. Not one little bit.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Iam getting really sick of this! I feel so helpless man I fooookin hate these cop tw@s DIE already! Come take ya badge n uniforms off come to my town n try beat ME serious! Arrrrgghhhh!!!!

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Tomorrow they meet with the cops to "resolve" the situation. Imagine such an objective review board. I bet the family gets a laundry bill from the PD to remove urine stains from the officers uniform when he ripped out the colostomy bag.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

If you'll permit a slight correction to your post: The colostomy bag is not connected to the bladder, but rather to the bowel, so stain would be darker. However I do get the cyninicism intended in the post.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Bloody scumbags, I really don't have any sympathy for people who would stoop to this level regardless of their excuses.

+4 more 
posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
This is why I have stopped plans for holidays in the USA.

I really wanted to go back to Florida, Colorado, New Mexico. Do the continental railway ect

Ok that's 1 persons tourist money your missing. who cares right?

But as this gets more and more common million and millions of potential tourists may like me give the USA a miss. That will be thousand of job losses as the tourist industry tanks.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok
I have to agree with you I would love to take my two daughters to florida but seeing all this mess in the states are putting me right off.

The usa dont need tourists they have war to make up the lost revenue

As for the op its discusting anyone with a braincell would reconise down syndrome the bloody idiot

Feel sorry for you guys over the pond

B

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Just when you think it cannot get any worse!
I don't know what's going on with the mentality of cops these days but the people are going to have to address it.
edit on 28-4-2014 by Fylgje because: accidentally hit post button DOH!

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Hes clearly a "domestic terrorist" and deserved to be assaulted.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   
To the posters that want to come to Florida, I say come on. Don't let big city police brutality turn you off. I'm not spokesman for my state, but if you come to the panhandle beaches of Florida I assure you that you will not experience anything you read in the news.

I'm not going to say our police are the best in the world, but they definitely don't shoot first and ask questions later. I've never had a negative experience with the police here, only once but it was my own doing. I say stay away from big cities such as Miami and Orlando and you should be golden. Miami-Dade county have some pretty bad cops, but if you visit other parts of the state it's not like what you read.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   
i thought i had seen this on here before, Excessive Force: Cops Beat Man With Down Syndrome

i like the new ATS search it works great i've found threads that i thought were lost forever.

that being said, those are some pretty sad cops. if they would have tried to open their eyes and ears, they would have found out why he acted like he did.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Thanks for that link. Worth repeating:

...It is far too easy to blame the police officer or tactics. What is happening, however, is that we as a society are building people who 'harden their hearts' to the plight of others. And this kind of outcome is to be expected as they travel this road.

What I have said above will sound brutal to some, but it is hard to deny. The number of violent responses to each other and to the least of us continues to increase in this country. And the reason for it is that we have worked to devalue life.

It's funny because this is the mantra right-wingers use often to highlight the 'horrible outcomes of abortion law' and so forth, but in the end, those who are doing the most damage are those who have decided that labeling people as 'takers' and 'mooches' and the like devalues the way we treat each other.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: eXia7

what part of the panhandle, pensacola, milton .ft walton destin, panama city bch, milton here.
and yea your right for the most part they are pretty civil, but there are some a@@----s too.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie
a reply to: eXia7

what part of the panhandle, pensacola, milton .ft walton destin, panama city bch, milton here.
and yea your right for the most part they are pretty civil, but there are some a@@----s too.

sent you a u2u cuz im paranoid like that

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Speechless..

Incredible.

What next, shooting or bludgeoning babies?

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Seriously! The police are out of control!

Why do they automatically assume that just because there's a bulge in someone's pants, it's a weapon. This man should never have been accosted by the police. These cops "jumping the gun" need to slow the heck down. Did this cop seriously think this guy had a weapon on him? Police with too much power and authority is becoming a serious safety concern to the general public.

I was just at the grocery store and some police were questioning two individuals about a stinkin lighter, a plain old simple everyday lighter. "What do you use this for?" he asks. Apparently the lighter have him probable clause to search their stuff.

Sick of power tripping police thinking they can shoot any dog or human because they "saw" a weapon or felt threatened by a puppy.

This poor guy has it hard enough with out being beaten by the cops over his colostomy bag. Good grief.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join