It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS: Colombian Rebels Plotted to Kill Bush

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 07:19 PM
link   
The Colombian Defense Secretary Jorge Alberto Uribe revealed today that the marxist rebel group Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC), which has a force of 17,000 and has been at war with the state for forty years, was plotting to kill President George W. Bush during his recent visit to Colombia on his return from Chile. When President Clinton visited Cartagena during his administration, bomb-making materials were found just six blocks from where he was visiting. Ninety percent of the coc aine consumed in the United States comes from Colombia.

www.msnbc.msn.com
BOGOTA, Colombia - President Bush was targeted for assassination by Colombia�s biggest Marxist rebel group this week when he visited the Caribbean port city of Cartagena, a top Colombian official said on Saturday.

�According to informants and various sources, we had information indicating that various members of the FARC had been instructed by their leaders to make an attempt against President Bush,� Defense Secretary Jorge Alberto Uribe told reporters.

He would not be drawn out on the details of the threat.

The White House had no immediate comment.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

While no one is willing to talk about the details of this threat to the President, it is clear that the drug trade is just as threatening to the stability and security of the United States as is terrorism. I would go so far as to say that the drug trade is a form of terrorism, given the costs to society imposed by this industry.

While it may seem that drug abuse is an individual choice, that choice reverberates throughout society and is manifested in pain, violence, and death. The most chilling consequence is the effect this scourge has on the children of our nation, as most of the children who find themselves in the custody of child welfare are there, either directly or indirectly, because of drug abuse.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
NEWS: Bush Compares Colombia's War on Drugs to U.S. War on Terrorism

[edit on 04/11/27 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I wonder...

Could the Fracas in Chile somehow be connected to an attempt on the life of President Bush?

U.S. Chile in Spat After Security Fracas

It did seem like he was being separated from his secret service agents for some reason, but what was the real reason?

I think Bush had better stay away from South America all together.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by UM_Gazz
I wonder...

Could the Fracas in Chile somehow be connected to an attempt on the life of President Bush?

It did seem like he was being separated from his secret service agents for some reason, but what was the real reason?

I think Bush had better stay away from South America all together.

My thoughts, exactly! (Remember the JFK assassination: He was separated from his secret security by the local police.)

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 04:10 AM
link   
What does coc aine have to do with Marxism? .....

Here's my answer to drugs' reverberation of "pain, violence, and death" in America: legalization

This way, we have eliminated the crime aspect of the black market, and we are now on equal footing with another poison (I'm sure Grady knows about this one) called alcohol.

[edit on 28-11-2004 by spade]

IBM

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 04:41 AM
link   
My answer to the drug trade is to develop a virus that targets the cocanie produing plants and presto. The benefits outweigh the costs of this operaion.I believe it will be very effective.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by UM_Gazz

That was what I thought. But who knows, stranger coincidences have happened

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by spade

Here's my answer to drugs' reverberation of "pain, violence, and death" in America: legalization

This way, we have eliminated the crime aspect of the black market, and we are now on equal footing with another poison
[edit on 28-11-2004 by spade]

Drug use and supply cannot and will not ever be stopped. It does seem legalisation is the only way to stop the crimanal violence. The lesser of two evils I guess.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Where�s the pudding?

The proof is in the pudding where did this report steam from, this is all political rhetoric, is this to make Bush look tough, or that the world wants him dead?
It looks like a load of rubbish to me.

Excerpts:
Official: Colombian Rebels Told to Kill Bush
Uribe did not say where the informants had heard about the purported order to attack Bush.

The Secret Service did not comment on security details, as is its policy

However, the rebels never publicly declared Bush a target during his first-ever visit as president to Colombia. Bush visited Colombia after attending a summit in Chile.
Source: www.foxnews.com...

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Damn, they missed
Oh well, I guess we have to live with him for another four years after all

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 11:35 AM
link   
This article was disturbing.

Not for the alleged threat against our president, but for the statistics:

The 17,000-strong Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, or FARC, fighting a 40-year guerrilla war against the state, has long accused the the [sic] United States of backing business interests in this Andean country while ignoring the 60 percent of the population that lives in poverty.

Washington has paid out more than $3 billion over the past four years for Plan Colombia, a security and anti-drug program developed by Clinton and former Colombian President Andres Pastrana. Bush has promised more support

Obviously, the rebels have an ulterior motive, but I am still disturbed by the vast number of people living in poverty.

I am still a firm believer that the war on drugs and the war on terror, while important, are both doomed to failure. In this, I think that we should consider that while we are busy running around the world doing what is good in the eyes of God, perhaps we should take a moment and ponder which problem God would want us to pay attention to.

BG

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 11:44 AM
link   
The coc aine dealers and the rebel forces have nothing common in Colombia.

Infact, the rebels (Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, FARC) despise the coc aine business in Colombia and they are more a threat to the coc aine business in Colombia than the actual Colombian government.

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 06:04 PM
link   
the New York Times carried an article explicitly stating that 85% of the coc aine brought to the United States is from north Colombian plantations run by generals, politicians, and other gangsters. The paltry remainder of coc aine that comes from south Colombia is heavily taxed by the FARC to discourage coca cultivation. Unfortunately, since agricorporations have bought off so much of the arable land in Latin America for a pittance from the corrupt governments installed by the US, indigenous people and farmers are forced off their traditional land to clear cut small areas of forest in which the only crop that can be profitably grown is coca.

new topics

top topics

join