It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Viking map, may re-write US history

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 05:07 AM
link   
this is only legend i think but here are a few links...like the scandinavians here.. i was taught this as LEGEND in school..

www.data-wales.co.uk...
www.madoc1170.com...
freepages.family.rootsweb.com...
www.historic-uk.com...

of interest to as i am a welshman..lol

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by TerminatorX
iv read that the aztecs worshipped gods who had fair hair blue eyes and beards they came in great ships, and they wore ornaments on thier heads depicting serpents. heres the link.

www.ensignmessage.com...

Haha, yes I remember reading about that in the 4th grade. That is a large part as to why Cortez was able to defeat the Aztecs so easily is because they thought he was some sort of God based upon his appearance, so they embraced him with opened arms. Of coarse, Crotez said "Screw this" and slaughtered them. These are probably indications of where these natives came from. PBS ran a program not too long ago that stated there is some evidence (very little though interesting indeed) that the first or early settlers of Americas were European. These settlers might have passed down accounts of what is was like in their orginal land (ways of life and wht people looked like) to their children whose great grandchildren developed stories to explain these accounts (such as them being gods).

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frosty
These are probably indications of where these natives came from. PBS ran a program not too long ago that stated there is some evidence (very little though interesting indeed) that the first or early settlers of Americas were European. These settlers might have passed down accounts of what is was like in their orginal land (ways of life and wht people looked like) to their children whose great grandchildren developed stories to explain these accounts (such as them being gods).

Interesting read. Do you have any other related articles? Even though it is possibly only by a very long shot, it sure ish interesting.

But the problem is that Vikings, who were excellent travellers, settling in New Foundland is still a mystery. Those native lived a long way from New Foundland, so even if the Vikings lived in New Foundland for a while (which they probably did), the chances that they migrated to South America is very low.

Could anyone clarify for me if Vikings and Spanish have the same genetic features?

Surf

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 05:37 AM
link   
He didn't mean the that the vikings were the original gods of south america, he means that a LONG time ago Europeans had settled in South America. Infact, there is evidence that Europeans were in North America around 3000 B.C.E. Large copper mines near the great lakes have been dated past 3000 B.C.E. This is interesting because "the europeans were in a copper trading frenzy from about 3000 to 1000 B.C.E., like we are now about oil, because copper drove their economy" Joseph, Frank. Infact, tin mines have been found in South America around those times. Thus coming to a conclusion of our 'bronze age.' Brinze is a mixture of copper and tin. The Phoenicians have records of being to England around 1200 B.C.E. or so...In fact, the Japanese have records going back thousands of years about eastern travels. And Japanese, Chinese, and Indian artifacts have been recovered in Mexico dating back thousands of years.
Getting back to coloumbus, he new what was here, that's why he came. No one would risk their lives if they knew the earth was really flat. I think Ptolemy (might have been someone else) had a map showing the land mass of antartica (under the ice caps), and South and North America (the east coasts).
In my opinion, we've (homo sapiens) been here much longer than our current mainstream historians would have us believe. With all the ancient structures going past 10,000 B.C.E. that we still can't replicate, and ancient stories that almost match up across the world, including the earliest of gods.
That's my take on this.
Oh yeah, and Viking Settlements have been found a LONG time ago in New Foundland or Nova Scotia (I can't remember), and also a rune stone dating to 1300 C.E. in some state near the great lakes.
Case dismissed, Columbus was an Italian Jew seeking a life that wasn't occupied by the Spanish Inquisition!

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Cool. I always thought that the vikings got here first, even before I read about this.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Lol it's so funny how they state the things that are not invented prior our own recorded history. Imagine how much information we lost when india before the form of us government invented other items and was not recorded, and some other scientist discovered it at a later time.

History has flaws, We all know that
The government knows this and it's a form of deception that everyone goes numb to and submits.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Something worth thinking about in terms of trying to demonstrate the habitation of North America before Columbus is the erasure of evidence by our own urban buildup. The Anse-aux-Meadow Viking site in Newfoundland may have been preserved by its remoteness.

Let us suppose, just for the sake of argument, that the Vikings had a few more settlements: say, one in Massacheussets, one on Manhatten Island, one in Maryland. Would we find them? No, because the steady development of the North-East US would have erased them before we developed an interest in preserving such sites. This isn't far fetched: remember, any settlers would have gravitated to the most attractive living sites first, and so it is more likely than not that earlier sites would have been overbuilt.

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 12:52 AM
link   
The story that some of the first settlers of America beinng from Europe was based (loosely) upon the design of areoheads, clovis in particular.
www.freerepublic.com...
Here is a transcript of the Nova special from PBS: www.pbs.org...

It is also well known that Portugese hunters frequently came in contact with several of the Carribean Islands and even went as far out in the fleets as New Foundland and possibly down the coast to Maine and far south as Massachusates.

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 02:09 PM
link   
What i want to know is why did the Vikings abandon New Foundland?
Why set up a colony for a few years and then leave?
It just doesnt make sense to me I think there is a large part of the puzzle we are missing here or at least I am missing here. If any one knows please fill me in.

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by boogyman
What i want to know is why did the Vikings abandon New Foundland?

Probably because of the Skrellings.

Why set up a colony for a few years and then leave?

Or maybe it was like in greenland. It just wasn't economically viable. Or perhaps plague hit the settlment and killed them off. Or starvation. Roanoke was abandoned. And the Pilgrims were nearly wiped out.
The other possibility is that they simply 'went native'.

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Some random notes:

I don�t think anyone doubted Erik the Red, Leif Eriksson, Vinland, etc. and like Nygdan says, they probably ran into a bunch of the locals, or �Skraelings� who ran them off.

Konartis96 says:

�the vikings did not get here first the indians did they were the first ones here.�

Well, based upon data from Kennewick Man, even that may be debatable!

Vagabond says:

�Would the church actually have a census or other such records, would they be likely to still exist, and would the increased size of the colony be seen as significant in historical terms?�

My guess is almost certainly not. First, since the Scandinavians did not even become Christian until about three hundred years later, the fathers at Romaborg probably didn�t even know that they existed. Second, the Church never kept censuses or records of even the nominally Christian European countries; why would they do so for some gang of thugs on the far side of the World? Third, what possible rationale is there for the Church to cover up such stuff?

Chakotay says:

�To get an idea of what is possible, check out Joshua Slocum, the 'first man to sail singlehanded around the world in modern times'. Do a web search on Thor Heyerdahl and Kon Tiki. And learn to sail!�

My dad got me �Alone Around The World� when I was fifteen; my first boat (a bay-built gaff-rigged sloop) was called the �Spray�. When we lived in Micronesia in the fifties, my father met and actually introduced me to Mr. Heyerdahl, who was passing through Truk and Ponape for some reason. What a man!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join