It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Cohen on Russia Ukraine Crisis "We are Well Into a Cold War"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

Foolish leaders and emperors throughout history have lost major battles and even wars by underestimating their enemy in a similar way.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: ausername

Foolish leaders and emperors throughout history have lost major battles and even wars by underestimating their enemy in a similar way.

It's a good job mr spade isn't a leader or an emperor then

I don't think either NATO or the US underestimate Russia's ability to sterilise the planet, which is why they have chosen a diplomatic approach and sanctions

Russia has undoubtably been on the decline and on back foot from the allies since 1945 and is now having to use force and aggression in order to stop parts of its old empire gaining total independence and cutting all ties to Moscow, and also along with its friends, has become increasingly isolated by an ever more united world

May the trend continue
edit on 19-4-2014 by TritonTaranis because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: TritonTaranis

originally posted by: ausername

Russia has undoubtably been on the decline and on back foot from the allies since 1945 and is now having to use force and aggression in order to stop parts of its old empire gaining total independence and cutting all ties to Moscow, and also along with its friends, has become increasingly isolated by an ever more united world

May the trend continue

The inherent danger is within that very "decline" desperation is a magnificent motivator.

If you forsee continued decline, what have you lose by attempting to regain your former greatness?

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 12:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: benrl

“For the first time in my lifetime, since the Cuban missile crisis, hot war with Russia is imaginable,” Nation contributing editor Stephen Cohen told Democracy Now!’s Amy Goodman on Thursday. Cohen, a Russia historian and expert on US-Russia relations, slammed the Obama administration for suggesting that the crisis in Ukraine was exclusively due to “Putin’s meddling,” and warned against a build-up of NATO forces near Russia’s borders. In an effort to end the crisis, Russia, Ukraine, the US and the European Union will begin talks today in Geneva. “Putin will compromise at these negotiations,” Cohen warned, “but he will not back off if confronted militarily.”

I thought we where done with waking up to the worry of MAD being in effect, with the old cold war stances rising.

It seems, we are blundering into conflict at full steam.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Europe needs that that farmland for its growing population, as well as control over the gas and oil pipelines.

They know that Russia can't afford to damage either, so they are pushing it for all they can get away with.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: benrl

I think the more important thing that Stephen Cohen said was that "Hot War is imaginable now."

I'm sure those watching this very well articulated talk from Cohen is going to assume exactly what he said - he's a Putin apologist. Americans are so blind to the level of intrusiveness of the US government and it's agencies when it comes to well... everything.

I was going to say foreign affairs, but I think we all know that the intrusiveness is at an all-time high for the USA and has been since 9/11.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   
The Navy was premature about closing down Brunswick NAS, and what the civilians tried to do with South Weymouth NAS, is a total travesty. Time to bring them back. They were strategic in the Last Cold War (agree it never really went away) and more so now. There is a big hole up here in the NorthEast that used to be filled by the ASW arm of the Navy, and we need the coverage, the deterrent as well as a place for our troops to train. Just do it.
edit on 21-4-2014 by charlyv because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Maybe i have been wrong on some points about the crisis!
We should calm down and sort it out with Russia.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join