It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comcast Literally Brought Big Brother into my Living Room

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I can confirm too.

It's really creepy stuff. I've had it where I was having a conversation and when I would refresh the page an ad would pop up about what we were just talking about. Have also had it happen having a phone conversation. Get off the phone refresh the page and up pops an ad about a section of the conversation we were having.

It's good to know that other people have had these experiences with the ad's.

Edit To Add:

I should probably mention I don't have Comcast. Just my phone and computer were near by. Running Windows at the time. Android phone.
edit on 15-4-2014 by Timing because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 12:58 AM
link   

(NaturalNews) Despite being labeled as conspiracy nuts, the prediction from a few voices in the wilderness that Google was planning to use the ambient background noise of a person's environment to direct targeted advertising to them through technology has come to pass.

www.naturalnews.com...

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Char-Lee

WP4YT

Char-Lee
reply to post by blupblup

Charter cable is "requiring" us to have a free new HD box also. we received free new modems a few years ago that has the lights flash even when the computer is off, it has one red light all this time but somehow the light just turned green today...how can a red light turn green after years, two colors of lights can't fit in that little space.

Leds

Wonder why the new one had the red blinking light in the first place all these years and now turns green.

I explained it. Read my post.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   
If comcast is your TV provider and also ISP it is possible for them to either ADD or REPLACE ad banners on pages as you surf. It isn't THAT hard to do. Creepy, yes, intrusive, yes, and also heavy handed.

Also it is DEFINITELY possible and relatively trivial to infect a PC with malware that can eavesdrop on the victim using both any attached webcam and microphone.

I think the snowden revelations have indicated that the NSA also has taken advantage of this. Regardless, "hackers" on the internet do it all the time. Pics of unsuspecting female victims taken by their webcams are actually badges of honor and prized trophies in the hacker community. Also school systems that provide laptops to students can and have done this, and also gotten into trouble for it when caught.

At the end of the day, Comcast generally does a fantastic job of providing a big fat data pipe to their internet customers. Their reliability is NOT 100% more like around 95% maybe, some of their modems are CRAP, and their customer service is annoying at best. I would never rely on them for mission critical phone service and their TV service is overpriced.

But, as the big dog in town they have invested heavily in infrastructure and do provide fast internet service.

I would DEFINITELY consider strongly a VPN service of some sort if I had them as my own ISP if I was going to be an outspoken critic of TPTB. As big as they are, and what they've gotten away with regarding their phone service, they are cozily in bed with the government and I have no doubt would cooperate fully with any logging, monitoring and surveillance.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   

djmarcone
I would DEFINITELY consider strongly a VPN service of some sort if I had them as my own ISP if I was going to be an outspoken critic of TPTB. As big as they are, and what they've gotten away with regarding their phone service, they are cozily in bed with the government and I have no doubt would cooperate fully with any logging, monitoring and surveillance.

A few weeks back, on a machine with a clean Linux install running a VPN, a trip-wire revealed some intruders in my machine. With the backdoors built into all operating systems, I'm not sure that any security measures will be safe.

One possible solution is to use a non-writable live CD (live dvd) of a security distribution such as Tails:

tails.boum.org...

Note that flash is not installed on Tails because of security issues. Perhaps a post-boot install of an HTML 5 player/converter will give some security with video for a decent web experience.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

Since 2008 with the mandate change into digital broadcasting this is been debated and warned upon the consumers.

The test is simple, if you have a smart TV connected to the internet just take an item and flashed in from of the TV or talk about it, you will be hit with commercials for the same product or alike.

This is from a book that is call Spy TV that talks extensively on how you been spy, neural network software will be used to create “psychographic profiles” and then “modify the behavior” of individuals.

We are allowing the spying to come into our living rooms and bedrooms due to the propaganda been played that we need and can not live without the newest gadgets, in other words we are paying to be spied on.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   

juspassinthru

A few weeks back, on a machine with a clean Linux install running a VPN, a trip-wire revealed some intruders in my machine. With the backdoors built into all operating systems, I'm not sure that any security measures will be safe.

What intruders? Was someone probing ports? Trying to log into a running service? Was someone actually logged in to the machine? Did they get root?

What trip-wire program?

Are you saying linux has backdoors? Which distro were you using? What info do you have on actual Windows backdoors?

Are you on comcast?

Were you able to determine who the attacker(s) were? Was it coming from internal to Comcast, a known fed IP block, or more likely random script kiddies?

Details please. I'm intrigued!
edit on 16-4-2014 by djmarcone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   

marg6043
reply to post by Olivine

The test is simple, if you have a smart TV connected to the internet just take an item and flashed in from of the TV or talk about it, you will be hit with commercials for the same product or alike.

I have a VIZIO "smart tv" it can connect to internet, it can do youtube, netflix, amazon prime and more. I have a media PC hooked up to it to stream other sources as well.

We pay for no actual broadcast TV and have no cable, satellite, DVR, cable box, or even rabbit ears. Our PCs have ad blocking mandatory and I even block some known ad domains at the router. Full video on demand, nothing else.

My ISP is a local independent operator and they source their bandwidth from a major fiber optic wholesaler, a direct trunk to the internet backbone. They don't log, meter, throttle or spy.

I see no ads.

Am I still being spied on?

How do I know if my TV secretly has a camera or microphone in it? Has anyone made a list?

It isn't skype enabled and as far as I know there are no evident cameras on it visibly or in the documentation. This manufacturer has an add-on webcam device that can be bought aftermarket to enable skype.

That doesn't mean there isn't something in it secretly tho.
edit on 16-4-2014 by djmarcone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by djmarcone

I have a smart TV also, Sharp Aquos, I did the talking in front of it and also the flash a box of frozen waffles in from of the Direct TV new genie, I got no advertisement.

Now my son have a 3D smart Tv with the new xbox that you can talk too attach to it, I have not try on that one yet. he, he.

So I am no sure if is limited to certain internet providers and their boxes, I will keep researching on it.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Daedalus

Char-Lee

WP4YT

Char-Lee
reply to post by blupblup

Charter cable is "requiring" us to have a free new HD box also. we received free new modems a few years ago that has the lights flash even when the computer is off, it has one red light all this time but somehow the light just turned green today...how can a red light turn green after years, two colors of lights can't fit in that little space.

Leds

Wonder why the new one had the red blinking light in the first place all these years and now turns green.

I explained it. Read my post.

Thanks anyway but I don't see any explanation. It was red and there is no speed change and it is now green since a couple of days. it was always red flashing since it was installed steady day and night on or off.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Char-Lee
Thanks anyway but I don't see any explanation. It was red and there is no speed change and it is now green since a couple of days. it was always red flashing since it was installed steady day and night on or off.

you were confused about the green, then red thing..it's a multi-color LED...

and are you a cable company employee? have you read the documentation on your model modem? it changed for a reason, i can't tell you what, exactly that reason is, because i don't know what light changed, or what your modem model is...

i speculate it's network speed, because the link light usually flashes on all models, regardless...if you let me know what the model and manufacturer is, i could tell you EXACTLY what the light means....additionally, have you made any changes to your router, gotten a new router, etc?

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   

opethPA

ladytamatha
Your computer has a microphone and camera. It is secretly listening in on you and filming you in real time.

So in other words, you believe urban legends.

Does this work if a computer doesn't have a camera or a mic?

It's is also extremely easy to prove or disprove what you say by firing up Wireshark or any other packet analyzer and see what is actually traversing the wire if you are on Ethernet and taking a similar approach if you are on 802.11.

How does it work if you are not connected to anything ?

I get being paranoid but you should back up your facts and not just report rumor as fact.

Mic yes, camera no. Nearly any electronic item can be turned into a microphone. A camera is obviously a bit more complex. Microphones are fairly basic and require basic circuits, which most devices/appliances/etc. have these days.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join