It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYT: Russia Withheld Key Information on Boston Marathon Bomber

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   
This is cute. Who does the NYT think they're fooling?

Russian officials had told the F.B.I. in 2011 that the suspect, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, “was a follower of radical Islam and a strong believer” and that Mr. Tsarnaev “had changed drastically since 2010 as he prepared to leave the United States for travel to the country’s region to join unspecified underground groups.”

What were they supposed to have told our intel? This makes it clear that Tsarnaev was someone who should be watched.

But apparently, in this era of new beginnings with Russia, it's now cool to try to blame them for our having dropped the ball on the Tsarnaevs by now adding this:

The new inspector general’s report found that it was only after the bombing occurred last April that the Russians shared with the F.B.I. the additional intelligence, including information from a telephone conversation the Russian authorities had intercepted between Mr. Tsarnaev and his mother in which they discussed Islamic jihad.

I don't know, but the part about "joining underground groups" and "radical Islam" should have been enough for some scrutiny. Unless they can come forward and tell us that Russia just summarily warns them about everyone in this way.

This comes on the heels of the report about how they got his name crossed. In my mind, that is a far more legitimate excuse. There are a lot of people in this country. It's not such a stretch to think that there could be variations on that surname spelling that might have confused the issue.

Less foregiving is this:

CNN reports Thursday that Tsarnaev also exhibited suspicious behavior shortly before the bombing. The elder attacker attempted to change his name to Emir Muaz, the name of an Islamic insurgent in Dagestan, in the months leading up to the attack. He was unable to complete his legal name change, as he was killed in the aftermath of the Boston tragedy. His younger brother, Dzhokhar, will be tried in the near future, and the Justice Department has indicated that they will seek the death penalty.

So, they had the original flag from Russia, then this from someone with a name matching one they had been warned about? You attempt to change your name to one matching an Islamic insurgent ... and no one catches that? Really?

Tamerlan Tsarnaev, the big brother of accused bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, filed that request with U.S. immigration on January 23, 2013, as part of his application to become a naturalized U.S. citizen. His brother, Dzhokhar, had already become a naturalized citizen.

"We don't know why," the official says. "There's no evidence why he wanted to change his name."

Uh-huh. You can scan everyone's meta-data, read all our emails, but you can't catch that a guy whose name is very close to one you had flagged by Russian intel as a possible threat matches with someone who traveled abroad and now wants to change his name to match someone whose infamous in that very same region he traveled to ... infamous for being exactly what you've been warned about?

And stop blaming Russia. You dropped the ball, intel.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
And so begins the propaganda of how bad Russia and China are. They are about to start trading without the use of the U.S. dollar. I'm interested to see how they deal with this one. Unlike Saddam Hussein, or Gaddafi, they cant just go in and kill these leaders. Both attempted the same type of deal. But I'm sure that had NOTHING to do with either death... LMMFAO!!

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
We have ants. Plus I have a headache, damned Russians!

Seriously..it makes me nauseous how stupid both the government and the media think we are. 13 years of convenient, after the fact intel to coordinate with the bad guy du jour.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

ewww... For once I want to see better US propaganda and they can't give it.. Everyday another story or two about Russia being bad haha.. They should mix in some other stories to throw me off at least. Stop showing me your hand and play!

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   

kosmicjack
We have ants. Plus I have a headache, damned Russians!

Seriously..it makes me nauseous how stupid both the government and the media think we are. 13 years of convenient, after the fact intel to coordinate with the bad guy du jour.

Remember what Hillary said "we are losing the propaganda war". Looks like they want some practice at home before going worldwide.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I just think we have the Ministry of Truth thing going on here because I clearly remember how annoyed everyone was when it was reported that Russia had warned the FBI about the Tsarnaevs, and they'd fallen through the cracks somehow. That all came out during the mess with the NSA surveillance. Surely, I am not the only person in the world who remembers?

... I think the NYT even reported on it.

Please, tell me I'm not I'm not the only one who remembers. I feel all Winston Smith.

But, now they think they can shift this to blaming Russia that easily?

Do people really have memories this short?
edit on 10-4-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   
" i spent some years studying the "Chechen resistance" or freedom fighters /mujahadeen (holy warriors) of the southern regions /republics of Russia.

During the course of my research i found a pattern of activity or radical action carried out by these resistance fighters.

firstly ..
Any time their is an operation carried out ,be it a bombing , a hostage situation, what ever. Their is always a reasoning behind the
Attack and this is ALWAYS broadcasted by a pre and posts operation video Claiming responsibility & motive. The motive is always always retaliatory in nature.

Secondly. I have yet to come across a case where the "chechen mujahadeen" have Attacked another country for no reason or motive. Like this Boston bombing..why? What was the motive? Where is the claiming responsibility for the attacks? . I monitor a website that the "Chechen mujahadeen" use as a news outlet to post videos and news about the affairs in southern russia ect ect.
Never has any of the mujahdeen of Chechnya and abroad ,come forth and claim responsibility for these bombings.

And thirdly. When one goes and fights "jihad" in another country ,they usually don't come back . Their mission is most often martyrs path , they go to die.....
That was not the case for the "Boston bombers" ..they went to Chechnya , that has an on going "jihad" with russia ,but yet the boys decided to not stay ,but rather come back and bomb the USA with no Motive or escape plan or resistance plan? ...

It really make no sens in the world of "jihad" and the history of the Chechen resistance...

Just my thoughts...

LSH

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by LightningStrikesHere

The Chechens don't formally operate in the U.S. either AFAIK, but that doesn't mean that he didn't go there and receive training from those groups as he became radicalized. That training then become useful when he decided to do what he did.

There has been several lone wolf radicals who have either perpetrated attacks or attempted to perpetrate attacks on U.S. soil who received their training or had some ties to radical groups elsewhere in the world even though those groups did not actually set those attacks intentionally in motion. I think the Ft. Hood Shooter was another example of such.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Hmm whatever happened to the blackwater/craft guy's involved in this whole thing?
Firepiston

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   

ketsuko
reply to post by LightningStrikesHere

The Chechens don't formally operate in the U.S. either AFAIK, but that doesn't mean that he didn't go there and receive training from those groups as he became radicalized. That training then become useful when he decided to do what he did.

There has been several lone wolf radicals who have either perpetrated attacks or attempted to perpetrate attacks on U.S. soil who received their training or had some ties to radical groups elsewhere in the world even though those groups did not actually set those attacks intentionally in motion. I think the Ft. Hood Shooter was another example of such.

Really ? Who were these lone wolfs you speak of?

What for hood shooter are you speaking about ? I don't recall the shooter having contact or training from a militant group? other than the US military training received.

You have to understand the mindset of someone who is "radicalized" as a muslim my self i understand this mindset very well. my goal is to make people aware of these "radical individuals" so that the world can see that their is a separation between them and your average Muslim.

In other words i an totally against these radical groups , and based on my knowledge of Islam and research i would have to say this Boston bombing operation was not of the actions of any "jihad "group i have studied.

But i am willing to entertain the ides that they did indeed go "lone wolf" if you can provide me with a motive.....

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   
A combination of what's been going on in this country and using the ideals of radical Islam as an excuse would do it. Most of the current crop of mass attack perpetrators don't care if they live or die, in fact, most of them want to go out in a big way. The radical Islamist views dying for the cause as the highest form of death earning the highest reward. The two mesh quite well in a superficial way, and if you're a teen, that's all you need.

But at any rate this thread was more about how they seem to be using this as an excuse to shift blame from the intel community where it was originally placed and onto the Russians whom we are now supposed to dislike.

Additionally, I find it disturbing that it seems that Breitbart seems to be in agreement with The New York Times ... let's blame Russia now.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

I do remember that

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   
OK got it now...
Bad Russia
good tsarnevs .....

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 12:57 AM
link   

As part of the naturalization process, a form requires a signature acknowledging the applicant will swear allegiance to the United State and might be required to serve in the military. Instead, the official says Tsarnaev printed his first and last name, but crossed out "Tamerlan" and changed it to "Muaz."
reply to post by ketsuko

From the CNN article linked in the OP

Does anyone else think this looks suspicious? Why would someone planning to do such a dastardly act not just sign the form and call as little attention to himself as possible? But print the name rather than sign and then score out the name to write in a name linked to dodgy activity, that would stick out like a sore thumb as being suspicious. My immediate thought on this was that perhaps it was printed and not signed because it was not him who filled it in and it was manufactured evidence. Kind of reminds me of the flame proof passport found at the Twin Towers.

top topics

join