It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jesus of Nazareth..and his lovely wife.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Everyone is totally misunderstanding this.

They have proven that it isn't a modern forgery. That's all. They provide absolutely no evidence that the writings are fact, and make no claims that the writings are fact. All they claim is that evidence shows that this is not a modern forgery. It was still written 700 years or so after the death of Jesus.
edit on 10-4-2014 by LeviWardrobe because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-4-2014 by LeviWardrobe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by parad0x122

Really someone 8oo years later means very little, it would be different if for instance. Back in the day of J.C people reported him as having a wife and that message kept coming to us via writing over the years. Other than that, its like me writing on some paper and saying king Arthur had five sisters. Take someone else from ancient history like chuang tzu, who left some great teachings. Does it matter if he was married or not? To me it makes no difference whatsoever. It offers no problem either way.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
If I was 33 and unmarried
my Jewish grandmother would consider me gay.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by rupertg

It would be terrible to upset your grandmother, perhaps a gay marriage would do the trick both ways.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Nonsense. If Jesus had a wife, it would have been written in the Gospels according to Mathew, Mark, Luke and John. There is no reason that the Apostles would intentionally leave that out (if he was married). They witnessed and documented his life, and nowhere is it written or even remotely implied that Jesus was married. It does indicate, for example, that St. Peter was married. This theory is simply not credible.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   
First century Jewish men didn't have the luxury to decide to remain bachelors. They were required by law to marry.

Age for Marriage.
The first positive commandment of the Bible, according to rabbinic interpretation (Maimonides, "Minyan ha-Miẓwot," 212), is that concerning the propagation of the human species (Gen. i. 28). It is thus considered the duty of every Israelite to marry as early in life as possible. Eighteen years is the age set by the Rabbis (Ab. v. 24); and any one remaining unmarried after his twentieth year is said to be cursed by God Himself (Ḳid. 29b). Some urge that children should marry as soon as they reach the age of puberty, i.e., the fourteenth year (Sanh. 76b); and R. Ḥisda attributed his mental superiority to the fact that he was married when he was but sixteen years old (Ḳid. l.c.). It was, however, strictly forbidden for parents to give their children in marriage before they had reached the age of puberty (Sanh. 76b). A man who, without any reason, refused to marry after he had passed his twentieth year was frequently compelled to do so by the court. To be occupied with the study of the Torah was regarded as a plausible reason for delaying marriage; but only in very rare instances was a man permitted to remain in celibacy all his life (Yeb. 63b; Maimonides, "Yad," Ishut, xv. 2, 3; Shulḥan 'Aruk, Eben ha-'Ezer, 1, 1-4; see Celibacy).

The duty of marriage is discharged after the birth of a son and a daughter (Yeb. 61a). Still no man may live without a wife even after he has many children,
www.jewishencyclopedia.com...

Since we have no information on the life of Jesus before the age of 30, we have to assume that he would have married, as any good Jew would. Unless, of course, he was an Essene. Otherwise, he would have looked pretty suspicious and probably wouldn't have been accepted as well as he seemed to have been, by his fellow Jews.

Also, it seems to me that his unmarried bachelor status would have been something that the pharisees would have jumped on for, too!

edit on 10-4-2014 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Elijah23
All those poor celibate priests...

Yet another person who has no understanding of meanings and terms,

Celibate means to be UNMARRIED, does not mean you cannot play with people, that is a total different story entirely.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ParasuvO

So, does that mean that an unmarried prostitute is celibate?

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Would a man who knew he was going to die at a young age think it responsible to take a wife?
When he knew what his ministry would involve would he have been a reliable husband?

So from the Christian mindset of him being God and already knowing the future taking a wife for himself would be more out of character.

1 Corinthians 7:1-9 New King James Version (NKJV) - Principles of Marriage

Now concerning the things of which you wrote to me:

It is good for a man not to touch a woman. Nevertheless, because of sexual immorality, let each man have his own wife, and let each woman have her own husband. Let the husband render to his wife the affection due her, and likewise also the wife to her husband. The wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. And likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does. Do not deprive one another except with consent for a time, that you may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again so that Satan does not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. But I say this as a concession, not as a commandment. For I wish that all men were even as I myself. But each one has his own gift from God, one in this manner and another in that.

But I say to the unmarried and to the widows: It is good for them if they remain even as I am; but if they cannot exercise self-control, let them marry. For it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

A couple of scriptural principles here:
1. If a man is going to marry he has a responsibility to be available to be with his wife (Paul goes on to write in 1 Corithians chapter 9:19, 22 that as he is free from all men he has become a servant to all men to win more men which he does for the gospel's sake)
2. unmarried people do not have divided loyalty and with Jesus having the highest self control out of any person it seems he would have chosen the option to remain as he was when he was called knowing his time was short.

1 Corinthians 7:25-38 New King James Version (NKJV) - To the Unmarried and Widows

Now concerning virgins: I have no commandment from the Lord; yet I give judgment as one whom the Lord in His mercy has made trustworthy. I suppose therefore that this is good because of the present distress—that it is good for a man to remain as he is: Are you bound to a wife? Do not seek to be loosed. Are you loosed from a wife? Do not seek a wife. But even if you do marry, you have not sinned; and if a virgin marries, she has not sinned. Nevertheless such will have trouble in the flesh, but I would spare you.

But this I say, brethren, the time is short, so that from now on even those who have wives should be as though they had none, those who weep as though they did not weep, those who rejoice as though they did not rejoice, those who buy as though they did not possess, and those who use this world as not misusing it. For the form of this world is passing away.

But I want you to be without care. He who is unmarried cares for the things of the Lord—how he may please the Lord. But he who is married cares about the things of the world—how he may please his wife. There is a difference between a wife and a virgin. The unmarried woman cares about the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and in spirit. But she who is married cares about the things of the world—how she may please her husband. And this I say for your own profit, not that I may put a leash on you, but for what is proper, and that you may serve the Lord without distraction.

But if any man thinks he is behaving improperly toward his virgin, if she is past the flower of youth, and thus it must be, let him do what he wishes. He does not sin; let them marry. Nevertheless he who stands steadfast in his heart, having no necessity, but has power over his own will, and has so determined in his heart that he will keep his virgin, does well. So then he who gives her in marriage does well, but he who does not give her in marriage does better.

Jesus' life and ministry was too important to mankind to put upon himself extra responsibilities and distractions. Paul's writings were the first to come out before the gospels. If people knew that Jesus had a wife then his message would have fallen completely flat. The crowd would have revolted questioning why they should follow this advice if Jesus himself did not do what Paul advocated that which was best for serving God.

Personally, I would have to say that if Jesus had a wife he was being irresponsible. His parents knew he had a special mission. He would not have had pressure from his family to marry. He did not have to belong to any particular religious community like the Essene.

Here is some background information on Jesus' early life that Adventist Christian's have based upon the visions from God written down by Ellen White.

The childhood and youth of Jesus were spent in a little mountain village. There was no place on earth that would not have been honored by His presence. The palaces of kings would have been privileged in receiving Him as a guest. But He passed by the homes of wealth, the courts of royalty, and the renowned seats of learning, to make His home in obscure and despised Nazareth.

Wonderful in its significance is the brief record of His early life: "The child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, filled with wisdom: and the grace of God was upon Him." In the sunlight of His Father's countenance, Jesus "increased in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and man." Luke 2:52. His mind was active and penetrating, with a thoughtfulness and wisdom beyond His years. Yet His character was beautiful in its symmetry. The powers of mind and body developed gradually, in keeping with the laws of childhood.

As a child, Jesus manifested a peculiar loveliness of disposition. His willing hands were ever ready to serve others. He manifested a patience that nothing could disturb, and a truthfulness that would never sacrifice integrity. In principle firm as a rock, His life revealed the grace of unselfish courtesy.

With deep earnestness the mother of Jesus watched the unfolding of His powers, and beheld the impress of perfection upon His character. With delight she sought to encourage that bright, receptive mind. Through the Holy Spirit she received wisdom to co-operate with the heavenly agencies in the development of this child, who could claim only God as His Father.
The child Jesus did not receive instruction in the synagogue schools. His mother was His first human teacher. From her lips and from the scrolls of the prophets, He learned of heavenly things. The very words which He Himself had spoken to Moses for Israel He was now taught at His mother's knee. As He advanced from childhood to youth, He did not seek the schools of the rabbis. He needed not the education to be obtained from such sources; for God was His instructor.

The question asked during the Saviour's ministry, "How knoweth this man letters, having never learned?" does not indicate that Jesus was unable to read, but merely that He had not received a rabbinical education. John 7:15. Since He gained knowledge as we may do, His intimate acquaintance with the Scriptures shows how diligently His early years were given to the study of God's word. And spread out before Him was the great library of God's created works. He who had made all things studied the lessons which His own hand had written in earth and sea and sky. Apart from the unholy ways of the world, He gathered stores of scientific knowledge from nature. He studied the life of plants and animals, and the life of man. From His earliest years He was possessed of one purpose; He lived to bless others. For this He found resources in nature; new ideas of ways and means flashed into His mind as He studied plant life and animal life. Continually He was seeking to draw from things seen illustrations by which to present the living oracles of God. The parables by which, during His ministry, He loved to teach His lessons of truth show how open His spirit was to the influences of nature, and how He had gathered the spiritual teaching from the surroundings of His daily life.
Jesus lived in a peasant's home, and faithfully and cheerfully acted His part in bearing the burdens of the household. He had been the Commander of heaven, and angels had delighted to fulfill His word; now He was a willing servant, a loving, obedient son. He learned a trade, and with His own hands worked in the carpenter's shop with Joseph. In the simple garb of a common laborer He walked the streets of the little town, going to and returning from His humble work. He did not employ His divine power to lessen His burdens or to lighten His toil.
Desire of Ages, chapter 7 p.68-72

Follow the link if you want to read more as I only used about a 30% of the chapter.

reply to post by windword

First century Jewish men didn't have the luxury to decide to remain bachelors. They were required by law to marry.

From its earliest years the Jewish child was surrounded with the requirements of the rabbis. Rigid rules were prescribed for every act, down to the smallest details of life. Under the synagogue teachers the youth were instructed in the countless regulations which as orthodox Israelites they were expected to observe. But Jesus did not interest Himself in these matters. From childhood He acted independently of the rabbinical laws. The Scriptures of the Old Testament were His constant study, and the words, "Thus saith the Lord," were ever upon His lips.
Often He was asked, Why are you bent on being so singular, so different from us all? It is written, He said, "Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the Lord. Blessed are they that keep His testimonies, and that seek Him with the whole heart. They also do no iniquity; they walk in His ways." Ps. 119:1-3.

When questioned why He did not join in the frolics of the youth of Nazareth, He said, It is written, "I have rejoiced in the way of Thy testimonies, as much as in all riches. I will meditate in Thy precepts, and have respect unto Thy ways. I will delight myself in Thy statutes; I will not forget Thy word." Ps. 119:14-16.
Mary often remonstrated with Jesus, and urged Him to conform to the usages of the rabbis. But He could not be persuaded to change His habits of contemplating the works of God and seeking to alleviate the suffering of men or even of dumb animals. When the priests and teachers required Mary's aid in controlling Jesus, she was greatly troubled; but peace came to her heart as He presented the statements of Scripture upholding His practices.
She saw Him sacrificing Himself for the good of others.
Yet through childhood, youth, and manhood, Jesus walked alone. In His purity and His faithfulness, He trod the wine press alone, and of the people there was none with Him. He carried the awful weight of responsibility for the salvation of men. He knew that unless there was a decided change in the principles and purposes of the human race, all would be lost. This was the burden of His soul, and none could appreciate the weight that rested upon Him. Filled with intense purpose, He carried out the design of His life that He Himself should be the light of men.
Days of Conflict, chapter 9, p.84, 89, 90, 92

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 12:02 AM
link   
how could Jesus get married?

He knew his mission. why would He put a wife through that?

she would have been on a cross with Him.

people with these stories are trying to diminish His divinity.

oh look, he had kids and a wife and got his a$$ nailed to a cross.

lol, how much money did he have? steady job??

lol! was Jesus henpecked? "who the hell are these guy's coming over all the time?!!"

"and that whore you hang around with!!! what will the neighbors think?!"

"don't you care about me?!!!"

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   
As a rabbi, and lets not foget he was jewish, Yeshua ben Yosef would have been obliged to marry and have kids, as the job doesn't allow otherwise.
The wedding at Cana where he performs the 'water into wine', was probably his own.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by tsingtao

Consider the fact that his mother watched the whole thing...

Besides that, this isn't the only account of Jesus being married...

The gnostics also had that same belief, from a much closer time period then this text

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 12:21 AM
link   

andy1972
As a rabbi, and lets not foget he was jewish, Yeshua ben Yosef would have been obliged to marry and have kids, as the job doesn't allow otherwise.
The wedding at Cana where he performs the 'water into wine', was probably his own.

yeah, for a regular joe rabbi, maybe.

His wife and kids would be getting sick of wine and fish.

"why can't you make some T-bones or chicken!!?"

"a couple brussel sprouts even!"

"get a real job!"

i don't think you have to be married first, to become a rabbi.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Akragon

The gnostics also had that same belief, from a much closer time period then this text

yeah well we all know about rumors and all that bs.

His mother is different. ya think?

from what i know, Mary didn't marry Joseph, he had kids from a previous marriage but stayed with Mary.

people like to bring logic into christianity, use some then.

He knew what He had to do, He did it at 33yo.

His family would be killed also.

the apostles and followers were not family. He warned them.

basically i think Jesus couldn't have kids anyway and He knew it.

imagine if He did.

i've read some of that "holy grail blood line crap"

that's all it is, crap.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   
The Jesuits are slipping...

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 12:43 AM
link   

tsingtao

Akragon

from what i know, Mary didn't marry Joseph, he had kids from a previous marriage but stayed with Mary.

imagine if He did.

that's all it is, crap.

Well... logic and Christianity don't go hand in hand...

I think its possible he had children... though someone once explained to me that IF he actually did, it would have left an attachment to this world which could prevent him from finishing his mission... Sounded good to me honestly...

Its not ALL crap though lol...

I suppose it depends on what you like to read... IF you're really not into religious study, or at least the conspiracies in said religons...

Why reply to the thread?

edit on 11-4-2014 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 12:50 AM
link   

tsingtao

andy1972

yeah, for a regular joe rabbi, maybe.

His wife and kids would be getting sick of wine and fish.

"why can't you make some T-bones or chicken!!?"

"a couple brussel sprouts even!"

"get a real job!"

i don't think you have to be married first, to become a rabbi.

Do some research. If you were a rabbi you HAD to get married, it was a job requirement. The mishnaic law is quite explicit on the fact - 'An unmarried man may not be a teacher'. Kids were a certainty, as the Torah commands 'be fruitful and multiply'.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 01:20 AM
link   

andy1972

This is my believe, too. He was a Rabbi and marriage was a must for this "job".

Second thing is, the wedding at Cana describes wonders done by Jesus without mentioning the name of the couple, which is highly unusual for the Bible. In fact, it reads as if it got censored really badly, as it doesn't really fit into the normal writing style of the gospel and the other accounts of wondrous things Jesus did.
So I think we read a part of the story of Jesus marriage, but the full story and implications that Jesus could have kids was deemed to dangerous to the people who decided what should be written down in the official 4 Gospels.

I don't want to say, who he married. But the person, who took him off the cross, washed him afterwards and wanted to visit him in his grave is a good candidate, as this "deeds" would normally fall on his wife or another close familymember.
edit on 11/4/2014 by Talliostro because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I take the Bible as Gospel and my cage is far from rattled. I'm more amazed
actually, that eight hundred years after this man Jesus, was put to death
under Pontius Pilate. A prefect of rome and in complete obscurity, like
most everyone who died this way in those days. Obviously, someone had
reason to write about him. As we are doing here now, some thirteen hundred
years after that.

How could my cage be rattled?

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Akragon

tsingtao

Akragon

imagine if He did.

that's all it is, crap.

Well... logic and Christianity don't go hand in hand...

I think its possible he had children... though someone once explained to me that IF he actually did, it would have left an attachment to this world which could prevent him from finishing his mission... Sounded good to me honestly...

Its not ALL crap though lol...

I suppose it depends on what you like to read... IF you're really not into religious study, or at least the conspiracies in said religons...

Why reply to the thread?

edit on 11-4-2014 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

let's see.

u people want to rewrite the history of Jesus. right?

He had to do this...He had to do that...etc.

seriously? lol!

gd pharisee's.

WE ARE HIS CHILDREN!

it IS crap if they think he had kids with a wife.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join