It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: STOP IT!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I am going to rant. I'm sick and tired of reading BREAKING:, or BREAKING !, for the heading of whatever Topic. It is like the "good ole days" of someone saying; "OK boy's, take some pictures" and everyone running to the phone booth to call in the electrifying story. EXTRA! EXTRA! went out a long time ago. Let the readers decide if the news is Earth shattering. Sorry, had to get that off my chest, and will take whatever hell i may deserve for it.

+7 more 
posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Spader

"Breaking" simply means "Happening Now" not "Earth Shattering"

Peace

edit on 9-4-2014 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Breaking: STOP IT!

No!

edit on 9-4-2014 by Bybyots because: . : .

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   
And the other dayI read a thread where a member was complaining about ATS being referred to as a conspiracy site...Its funny to see how such a seemingly trivial thing can tick people off.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Breaking Now....

People are fed up and have had it up to HERE !!!

Yes it's all sensationalism.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Spader

Try to get used to it, because it's what people tend to say here on ATS. I can see that you're new, so you're probably not used to it. We need to toughen you up.

ETA: I take it back, you're not new. You've been here longer than me!

edit on 9-4-2014 by brazenalderpadrescorpio because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Spader

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ThePublicEnemyNo1

El Duderino! Classic.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 01:47 AM
link   
It annoys me too. I don't mind it when you have to use a title from a news source and there's no way around it. It's like going on Drudge and seeing every other headline start with 'shocking'. It's not shocking. This is the internet. Yeah it may be breaking news at the time, but it quickly becomes old while the title stays. Reading a 'breaking news' story on ATS a few days after the incident happened is annoying.

News sites don't continue to say breaking. Just post a title explaining the events and leave the breaking out of it unless you have to conform to a certain forums rules.

I'm probably guilty of this too. Whatever. I'll try to stop. I do annoying stuff. I start sentences with also, on that note, that being said.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Domo1

News sites don't continue to say breaking.

Tell that to CNN...

Oh wait you said news site, my bad.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I don't mind when people use the word 'BREAKING' but I do mind when they misuse it. If you have a story that is legitimately breaking then by all means use the word in order to get that point across but all too often I've been disappointed because the news isn't really new or the story isn't news at all it's just one forum member engaging in conjecture.
edit on 4 10 2014 by Goteborg because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Spader

'Breaking news' is like saying appley apple juice or sharp razors...
The one bugging me lately is this one >>

'New study says...'

^^That little phrase promises all the reward of a 'Pssst. C'mere,' whispered from a dark alleyway. Sure, it could be fun in there, but probability says you'll have your brains beaten in and regret even looking.

Is there a new study that shows reading new studies lowers your will to live?

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I'm sorry I ticked so many people off. I grew up in the news room that my dad managed in Kansas City. In the mid-seventies when I was a kid, anything that said BREAKING. Whatever it was. meant that something BIG was about to come across the wire. Maybe it is just the kid in me that remembers "Breaking News, From CBS News" that would get my heart pounding as everyone in the news room got (even on a Saturday) up and hopping. Sorry to ruffle any feathers. I should have thought before posting.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
You'd better get ATS to change the names of their forums, too. Two of them start with "Breaking"

Breaking Alternative News
Breaking Political News

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 06:02 PM
link   
i dont like it when people stand too close to me in shop queus.
i also dont know how to spell queus.

it's a pretty big deal.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Not in a 1970's news room. when it said breaking, I mean breaking. Kind of like this: "This just in, President Richard Nixon has just resigned the Presidency of the United Sates. Vice President Gerald Ford will be sworn in as the 38th President of the United States as a result of the Water Gate Scandal." Now every time you look on Fox it says "Breaking news". I suppose it just does not mean the same thing anymore.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Spader
I am going to rant. I'm sick and tired of reading BREAKING:, or BREAKING !, for the heading of whatever Topic. It is like the "good ole days" of someone saying; "OK boy's, take some pictures" and everyone running to the phone booth to call in the electrifying story. EXTRA! EXTRA! went out a long time ago. Let the readers decide if the news is Earth shattering. Sorry, had to get that off my chest, and will take whatever hell i may deserve for it.

I'm with ya and will add...I hate "Breaking..." and have to wade through a half dozen threads on the main page with the same f'ing title....just because thread starters may have done a search but DIDn't go to the MAIN PAGE FIRTST!! [grumble, grumble, rip snot whine complain ASSHATS!!!]

Kudos and no flames from me....

new topics

top topics

join