It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top Medicare Doctor Paid $21 Million in 2012, Data Shows

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Want a career change, become an ophthalmologist.

This is your Tax money.

www.bloomberg.com...

By Caroline Chen and Sophia Pearson Apr 10, 2014 6:46 AM

A doctor who treats a degenerative eye disease in seniors was paid $21 million by Medicare in 2012, twice the amount received by the next ophthalmologist on a list of 880,000 medical providers released by the government.

64 Times Average

Salomon Melgen, a Florida ophthalmologist who has been linked to a criminal probe involving U.S. Senator Robert Menendez, was paid $20,827,341 in 2012, or 64 times the average in his field, the data show. His appeal of a 2009 ruling that found he overbilled Medicare by $8.9 million was rejected last year. Farid Fata, a Michigan oncologist was paid $10,063,281 in 2012, was charged with Medicare fraud in August, according to court records. The data opens fresh questions about Medicare’s payment policies.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by keenasbro

I find it ironic that my thread yesterday got quite a bit of attention: How do we get rid of Obamacare?

And today this thread did not, when it is in essence showing part of the problem with the whole system.
I don't know maybe it's just me. . .

S&F, AB

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   
hahahaha

Did you ever actually believe programs like this were about helping common folk?

And all the while they will post pictures of crackheads and deflect deflect deflect.

Welcome to America!!!! Where the government and the rich bleed the common man dry in new and creative ways every day. They are getting sick of the average joe living too comfortably and having opinions. Soon they will have what they want, true poverty to provide true slave labor.

We are in a mental prison and escape is not coming anytime soon.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

I didn't read your thread yesterday antibellum, I would have hooked this link in there if I had.
Too many crossover threads saying the same thing, imho.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Do also know this is the same guy who owns the private jet Senator Menendez was jetting down to the Dominican Republic on? In other words, he's a well connected political crony. Don't make the mistake of thinking that your average Medicare/Medicaid practice is pulling in this kind of dough.

That's different than the on-going investigation into a Florida ophthalmologist. At the beginning of 2013, news of an investigation into Menendez's relationship with Salomon Melgen broke. Melegen is under investigation by the government for allegedly overbilling Medicare to the tune of $8.9 million. Menendez intervened on his behalf as that investigation unfolded.

The relationship between the two goes beyond that. When Melgen decided to get into the port security business in the Dominican Republic, Menendez allegedly intervened to prevent Homeland Security from giving the country scanners that could be used to screen shipping containers arriving on the island — which would have hurt Melgen's business selling such devices to the Dominican government. As details of the relationship between the two emerged, Menendez reimbursed Melgen for flights to the Dominican Republic that the doctor had paid for.

top topics

join