It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Army Uses NASCAR in Recruiting Effort

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Start your engines boys we're going to war! Given all the speculation about the U.S.A. inacting a draft to boost numbers in the face of the Iraq war and the growing insurgent problems, along with other issues or threats involving such nations as Iran and North Korea which at some point may require military action to resolve. The United States Army has found a great tool for recruiting "new blood". NASCAR is very popular among many Americans and most of all among males 18 to 25. The perfect tool to recruit new soldiers and perhaps avoid a draft. There is no doubt that the future will require more men joining the Army. This is just one way that the Army has seen effective results.

ABCNEWS.com Full Article

FORT RILEY, Kan. Nov 26, 2004 � Joe Nemechek is "G.I. Joe" to many NASCAR fans, a nickname stemming from the GoArmy.com logo on the hood and bumper of his Chevy Monte Carlo. Every lap he leads and every pole he wins puts the Army in millions of living rooms nationwide.

Sponsoring Nemechek is part of a military recruiting strategy, which includes advertising at football games and rodeos, aimed at maintaining the all-volunteer force during the war in Iraq and the hunt for Osama bin Laden.

"We have to get the best young men and women in the Army to continue," said Tom Tiernan, a 22-year Army veteran who is now a civilian employee leading the marketing program.

The program's success is open to debate. A federal General Accounting Office report concluded last year that the military even though its advertising spending rose from $299 million in 1998 to $598 million in 2003 couldn't truly evaluate such campaigns because "joining the military is a profound life decision."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Just one more quote from the article above:

The logos on Nemechek's car helped coax Pvt. Terrence Bartholomew, also with the 24th Infantry, to enlist in February. The 22-year-old from New Orleans acknowledged he's not really a NASCAR fan but, "I saw the car two times on TV."

Men like fast cars. This is an effective tool to recruit young men into the Army.. But is this the right way to do it?

If a kid watches a NASCAR race on TV for whatever reason should they be subject to such a thing?

Is your son a NASCAR fan?

This is but one way the Army recruits new soldiers, And given the global conflicts and threats I can underatand the reason the Army would be so willing to use such a thing to add to the number of available soldiers.

It does not make it right... what other option do they have ... The draft?

[edit on 26-11-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 05:19 PM
link   
It's almost scary that my prediction was so precise. I stated that near the end of the time when the NWO's in its planning phases, it will utilize every kind of propeganda they can get including movies, sports, advertisements, etc, and this is going along perfectly with my plan. Apparently, they are trying to reach out to shape its image towards the masses, if they exist.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Such military advertisement and promotional mechanism's have been utilized since before the war against Iraq.

Despite this, NASCAR is steadily growing, and likewise, has become a 'mecca' for advertising. Besides, there are team and driver family members fighting in Iraq, etc.

If it works, more power to them.

seekerof

[edit on 26-11-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 04:38 AM
link   
I don't see this being anything sinister - it just makes good sense.

Any afvertiser will place their ads where the target audience will see them. A large enough number of NASCAR fans make it a target for this recruitment drive.

Don't see anything wrong in that.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 04:41 AM
link   
I think you'll be surprised at how many different places the Army puts its propaganda. The Army also has a Top Fuel car. (Have you seen those things in real life? 2.5 on the earth quake richter scale!) And let's not forget "America's Army: Operations", the Army's completely free online game. (Which I might add is one of my favorites!) The game was originally made as a recruitment tool, and is STILL being used over two years, maybe three, later. It even surpassed Counter Strike as the most-played online game in the world. (Probably because it's free.)

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 04:43 AM
link   
I don't see the big deal here, its a sport so the Army is advertising. It would be different if you had to be in the Army or Registered for it to go to a live race no matter what your age.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Yeah - better read those terms and conditions carefully next time you order NASCAR tickets online LOL

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 05:05 AM
link   
NASCAR is embarrassingly political, religious, pro Bush and they throw out pro war propaganda. But the rednecks just suck it up because its what they want.

It wouldnt surprise me if they do more of this in the future

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer
NASCAR is embarrassingly political, religious, pro Bush and they throw out pro war propaganda. But the rednecks just suck it up because its what they want.

Using the slur 'rednecks' is offencive. To some people it is as bad as the N word.

Your point is a good one.. We should keep politics and recruiting out of sports and entertainment.. It is just NOT the place for it. In my opinion of course.

I would rather have my son choose to or not join the Army based on his own views, and to sign up because he believes in the cause and understands the risks involved. NOT because he "saw it on TV and thought it was cool"

To me having our government use broadcast sporting events or any type broadcast media set up as entertainment for either either a political message or for recruiting is just wrong on so many levels.

IT IS NOT THE TIME OR PLACE FOR IT.

Gazz

[edit on 27-11-2004 by UM_Gazz]

new topics

top topics

join