It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Screen Went White With Stripes -- Why, and How Can I Know It's Not Serious?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   
90% of the time this is caused by a failing inverter , its a very small circuit board that is nested in the rim of the screen case. Its pretty easy to replace.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by brazenalderpadrescorpio

Ok...ok...but you should read a little then, and make those settings for your comptr to save pwr, dim when closed, when to hibernate, mouse etc...whatever!!

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by b3l13v3

It's a Toshiba Satellite. But I think that it is the ribbon because when I change the angle of the display (I like to call it cover), it gets better.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Actually, like I told someone via U2U, I found out that the warranty expires later this year. So that's a big sigh of relief.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

Check, check and check! Lol.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   

So that's a big sigh of relief.

Big $igh, lol. I see a new laptop in your future. Make sure thats how they handle it. Insist on it.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

I wish they could fix the problems that I don't know about. Lol. Nah, they just want me to spend my money to do that.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   

brazenalderpadrescorpio
reply to post by b3l13v3

It's a Toshiba Satellite. But I think that it is the ribbon because when I change the angle of the display (I like to call it cover), it gets better.

I had a Toshiba Satellite A665-3DV6 that did the same thing...sorry to be the barer of bad news, but that entire series was prone to GPU/motherboard failure. Mine overheated and fried. One thing you can do to test if its the graphics card dieing or not, would be to connect an external monitor to the laptop via the VGA connection on the side. If you get output, chances are it's a problem with the monitor or its connections. If you get the same type of behavior, you may have a bad motherboard or graphics processor.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Suppose I will give my couple pennies on this issue. I have been repairing computers since the 386 days. If the screen clears when you move the "cover" most likely its a flex cable issue. Cheap and easy fix, youtube will give you a teardown on almost any model on the market. If that laptop has been dropped the actual housing of the lcd could have a crack in it. This will cause what you are describing as well. If that is the case lcd replacement would be the fix but still not too expensive on most laptops. The graphics card aslo can cause these symptoms as well as clearing up when you move the lid. In that case your pretty well shot. As many have pointed out the easiest check is to plug it up to an external screen and see if there is any issue. If the external doesn't flicker or anything when your wiggling the lid that would rule out the graphics card issue. If it hasn't been abused, I would put money on the lcd flex cable. Toshiba has been pretty solid with warranty even as far as replacing a motherboard for free on one I bought off ebay.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by drivers1492

To you and the previous poster, I'd have to take it to one of my friends who a TV like the one you described. But I think that my best bet is to cash in my warranty.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   

If your warranty is valid I agree with you 100%.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Hey...good luck! And ask around here...theres a bunch of folks with info and help for us all!

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

Thanks!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join