It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

United States Is Cruel, Inhuman and Degrading to Poor, UN Report Charges

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   
United States Is Cruel, Inhuman and Degrading to Poor, UN Report Charges

This is from a few days ago, but recent posts in this forum have reminded me of it.

Especially with the banks getting off scot free AGAIN/STILL, this just really is upsetting.

The U.N. Human Rights Committee in Geneva on Thursday condemned the United States for criminalizing homelessness, calling it "cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment" that violates international human rights treaty obligations. It also called upon the U.S. government to take corrective action, following a two-day review of U.S. government compliance with a human rights treaty ratified in 1992.

"I'm just simply baffled by the idea that people can be without shelter in a country, and then be treated as criminals for being without shelter," said Sir Nigel Rodley, chairman of the committee in closing statements on the U.S. review. "The idea of criminalizing people who don't have shelter is something that I think many of my colleagues might find as difficult as I do to even begin to comprehend."

The Committee called on the U.S. to abolish criminalization of homelessness laws and policies at state and local levels, intensify efforts to find solutions for homeless people in accordance with human rights standards and offer incentives for decriminalization, including giving local authorities funding for implementing alternatives and withholding funding for criminalizing the homeless.

Those recommendations run counter to the current trends in the nation.

It goes on to discuss the horrid treatment, even including murder, of homeless people; and relates to Albuquerque.

What a mess.

the FBI has since announced it is launching an investigation into the incident and said it is already probing 23 officer-involved shootings in Albuquerque since 2010. On Sunday, hundreds of people marched through Albuquerque to protest the number of police shootings in the city, a day-long event that ended when police fired tear gas into the crowd.

I know the Albuquerque story has been posted....

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by BuzzyWigs

"The United States". We say that like it's a real thing.

Can we all get back to reality and remember that the "United States", just like any other country, is an imaginary construct? It is a series of lines on maps, which are totally made up. They mean nothing, unless you give them meaning.

What this report should say is that the people who make up the "administration" in the geographic area of the United Sates are the ones responsible. It should list these people by name. List their crimes - crimes against other human beings - of being neglegent, and so on.

Perhaps when we start doing that, and actually naming men and women, and not "imaginary constructs", things will change. Countries don't really exists, except in our minds, but people do exists, and people are the ones who are responsible.

Just my thoughts.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   
We certainly seem to be racking up some human rights issues.

I think we would be well to remember,

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed

Its not all corporations are entitled to, Man.

Unalienable, universal, it was an Ideal to strive for, and we have gone so far from it.

We need to strive for those Ideals, even if it means corporate profits may suffer, that they may have to pay their fair share in taxes.

and yes, for societal programs like welfare.

Success that leaves so many behind, is no Success at all.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   

benrl

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed

Unalienable, universal, it was an Ideal to strive for, and we have gone so far from it.

We need to strive for those Ideals, even if it means corporate profits may suffer, that they may have to pay their fair share in taxes.

I see the constitution doesn't really mean much to you, does it?

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Well, I guess the liberals aren't doing any better than the conservatives...amazing.

Now, can we regroup and start thinking about the REAL reason the US was once a great nation, or shall we continue down the predictable road of ignorance?

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   

doubletap

benrl

Not when our Current supreme court interprets it to mean that Corporations can have way more free speech than I, simply from the virtue of having money.

The course we are on, is not a good one.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by doubletap

I see the constitution doesn't really mean much to you, does it? - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Wait...
what?

I thought benrl's point was good. The corporations that pay minimum wage are using the taxpayers to subsidize their profits.
When Walmart or McDonalds employees don't earn enough to live on and qualify for assistance - who do you think is pulling up the slack???

The taxpayers. And who is pocketing the profits? The shareholders, many of whom have never worked a cash register and stood on their feet all day wearing a uniform. And don't even get me going on the CEOs.

Anyway, thanks for your contribution.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Not when our Current supreme court interprets it to mean that Corporations can have way more free speech than I, simply from the virtue of having money. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Yeah! That's another thing from this week that really made my blood boil.

WTH is happening here???

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 10:39 PM
link   

So what is the answer? Should the US elect a President that can change this?

link   

doubletap

If the constitution is a guideline on how to become a dystopian corporate oligarchy, then sure..time to toss that POS.

But its not...it is a carefully constructed set of ideals that was meant to further the liberty of the people, while enjoying a basic welfare of an advancing nation. I think we need less lawyers on the constitution and instead understand the spirit of the vision the founding fathers forseen. As an advanced nation, I am just damn embarrassed that parts of our country are worse off than poor wartorn 3rd world nations, and the trend is to have more areas like that.

Where is the pride in your nation when your neighbor freezes in the streets?

The constitution is important. equally as important as trying to make the citizens within the borders here elevate up.

link   

BuzzyWigs
reply to post by benrl

Not when our Current supreme court interprets it to mean that Corporations can have way more free speech than I, simply from the virtue of having money. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Yeah! That's another thing from this week that really made my blood boil.

WTH is happening here???

Its all related,

When Corporate interest becomes more important than human this is what you get.

All of this, its real easy to see how the current state of things came to be.

No need for grand conspiracies, its simple human nature.

Those who have want more, its very basic.

Our founders set up a system of checks and balances to combat that very thing.

Through the apathy of the people, it has been highjacked, replace the crown with Corporate, it wont matter, its still taxation with out representation.

Its still the haves ensuring the have nots remain so while aquiring more.

Apparently that makes me un-american, to view that all humanity should face a system where their merit alone determines how far they go.

Not just by happenstance of birth.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 10:40 PM
link   

whywhynot

Will never happen.
Presidents have no real authority. They sign bills, veto bills, and otherwise act as the mascot for the nation.
Congress, Senate...more power, but it comes down to lobbyists and corporations that run this country.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   

WTH is happening here???

The sole purpose of the NSA...gathering dirt on your opponents to be used to get what you want ...

Greed on steroids.

Would love to know what dirt they have on Justice Roberts, among others.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Apparently that makes me un-american,

It does?
I certainly didn't think that.

I'm appalled by the circumstances we are in right now. At the empty homes all around mine; at news bits like this UN censure; at college grads having to take unpaid internships; all of it....etc.
bha. I have to go to bed now....been a lumpy day. Thanks for your participation, sir.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   

whywhynot

Term limits in congress, lobbying reform, constitutional amendment repealing citizen united.

Thats to start, followed by tax law reform, required a passed budget, education reform.

Its real easy to fix, but theres no money in the cure, only in prolonging the disease.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by whywhynot

That would certainly be a start. Unfortunately, I believe no matter who gets installed (and it's not really elected by us, it's all predetermined) they will be pressured by the whostheirwhatsits (I hate to even call them "TPTB").....to do whatever was already on the agenda.

BUT, having said that, I'm fully ready for Jesse Ventura to take a stab at the job; all we have to do is make sure he's on the ballot in all 50 states, and is included in the debates.

You guys know about the "write-in" line at the bottom of the ballot, I'm sure.
Well - last time I was going to write "I was here", but vote for none of them...would that get the message across? We don't want ANY of the 'nominees' - but we're here voting for NONE. That way, the vote count would be too many for Congress to get to decide (which happens if no one votes)...

anyway, I really do have to crash now. Talk to you all tomorrow....

Thanks to everyone for your posts.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 10:51 PM
link   
The point of this discussion is weak because the answer does not lie in politics, despite the the easy sell to make it about that.

The answer lies in self reflection as humans and as a nation, but that cannot be achieved unless we all become educated about our world, our purpose, and our sense of reality.

The bickering between republicans and democrats is not only futile, it's a self-licking ice cream cone.

My solution is for real dialogue to occur among philosophers, who recognize the need to move forward - not the "representatives" we "choose" to pay with our hard-earned labor in order to achieve goals none of us asked for.

Oh, and if one more friggin person tells me I need to give more in terms of my "dues to society"...here's my contribution:

Get off your A** and work for your own sense of purpose for yourself and this country!
edit on 4-5-2014 by jrflipjr because: clarification

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Imagine if instead of spending the 85 billion a month to Wall Street from Quantitative Easement, that money could be going to so many social programs here at home.

Just think of the problems solved with homelessness!

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   

beezzer

Imagine if instead of spending the 85 billion a month to Wall Street from Quantitative Easement, that money could be going to so many social programs here at home.

Just think of the problems solved with homelessness!

Or that is spent on the defense industry, or foreign aid.

We would rather police the world, than feed our poor and educate our young.

But I am a staunch isolationist, let the ocean and sunk cost protect us and lets focus on some "me" time, there are far to many problems at home.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Our country is living a lie.

Our economy, the way they spy on Americans, the way they treat Americans, the way they lie to Americans and the world, is all a false front.

We're becoming a third-world nation with a third-world economy and political leadership.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join