It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

100,000 neglected or abused kids await adoption

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 10:32 AM
link   
There are so many couples who are unable to have theri own children I would think this would not be a problem. I guess the legal hassles and the fact that most want newborns play into this too.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- More than 100,000 children who have been abused or neglected by their biological parents are languishing in foster care, waiting to be adopted. The explanations are practically universal, with nearly every state facing the same problems in running its child welfare agency, a report finds.

www.cnn.com...

Among the problems: Agencies and courts are reluctant to terminate the legal rights of biological parents, and states have trouble finding adoptive parents, particularly for older kids, kids with siblings, children with behavior problems and black kids.

What happen to these kids when they turn 18? Are the released into society with no money no families and no self esteem? It must be hell going through life knowing that you were not wanted by anyone!

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 08:28 AM
link   

What happen to these kids when they turn 18? Are the released into society with no money no families and no self esteem? It must be hell going through life knowing that you were not wanted by anyone!

You raise a very good point. Where do these kids end up? It seems like the system is broken in so many places.

One obstacle to overcome is the reluctance of the courts to cut the legal rights of the bilogical parents. I wonder, do they even know where some of these bio parents are?

Many of these kids will end up forming bad relationships or joining gangs, just because of the natural human tendency to want to belong, to be accepted.

But then agaiin. maybe this is an opportunuty for the opposite to happen. Maybe these affected kids and parents can join together to form support groups that help the situation. A nationwide organization, call it Second Home or something.

EDIT: Typo

[edit on 27-11-2004 by jsobecky]

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 08:58 AM
link   

But then agaiin. maybe this is an opportunuty for the opposite to happen. Maybe these affected kids and parents can join together to form support groups that help the situation. A nationwide organization, call it Second Home or something.

This is a really great idea! You get a way above for that one jsobecky! I'm going to run this by a couple of people who are involved in shelters and see what they think(its gonna require ALOT of funding though..)

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 01:45 PM
link   
It will take a lot of funding. But I think you'd be surprised at how well it would be received by the private sector, including many former foster children who have done well and wish to help those now in the same type of situation.

top topics

join