It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7.8 "aftershock" strikes Chile on land

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

I know where you're coming from with the queezy feeling in the gut part. If I were to predict I would say something nasty is coming and it will hit somewhere between Alaska East and the US Mexico border. My feeling is this nasty quake is coming sooner rather than later, my guess, within the next few months though it could be tomorrow. But that whole scenario is based on inner feelings and checking USGS 10 time a day. This is in no way a prediction and if it did in fact come to pass, I would know only that I'd been lucky at rolling the dice.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by minkmouse

I was referring to this thread that I was currently reading when ur thread caught my eye. www.abovetopsecret.com...
Members were piecing together the probability that the Chile earthquake led to the Peru earthquake that led to a volcano erupting.
If it was/is the cause ....would hate to see what Is in store for that region next.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Yes, the 9.0 in Japan in 2011 changed the earth's axis. I am really feeling for those people in Chile.
I myself have been through a 7+ and numerous 6's here in Mexico and it gives you a very uneasy feeling all the time.

content.usatoday.com...

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Trapjaw

No disrespect to members but to make those kinds of assumptions without some training in the science is just guesswork, basically right up there with my own hit and miss method. The probability of EQ's waking dormant Volcanoes is more than likely a fairly sound idea, I'd even chance it and say it is a real possibility because of the way I analyze things. I just don't know enough about the science to put out anything other than guesswork.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Agreed. In theory sounds very logical that an eq could wake a dormant volcano. But I have no idea where to even begin trying prove there is a link between these quakes and the volcanic eruption.
Could all be pure coincidence that a quake hits the same day a volcano comes to life after decades of rest.
I'm no scientist nor have any geological back ground ....but sure is interesting to see the earth do its thing and realize ur just a passenger going for the ride.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Meh ... you've got a cool kitty avatar to back up your guesswork. Dem scientists only have a fancy-schmansy piece of sheepskin. You're in much better standing in my book ... besides, you're here on ATS!!

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Both those two predicted something to happen. Strange...ATS predictions starting to manifest. We have some pretty good people studying these things. Either that or they are getting luckier.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Trapjaw

Agreed. In theory sounds very logical that an eq could wake a dormant volcano. But I have no idea where to even begin trying prove there is a link between these quakes and the volcanic eruption.
Could all be pure coincidence that a quake hits the same day a volcano comes to life after decades of rest.
I'm no scientist nor have any geological back ground ....but sure is interesting to see the earth do its thing and realize ur just a passenger going for the ride.

Even with my lack of training in this area, I'd have to say it would be right out of the park to suppose the quake and volcano activity were in any way, shape or form a coincidence but I lack the stuff that allows me to believe it. Yeah....We're not driving the bus that's for sure I just hope whoever is has that dog symbol embroidered on their shirt someplace.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Someone predicting an earthquake around Chile is like someone predicitng a cold winter in Siberia or rain in England..it's a given, not a science.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Shana91aus

the Japan one changed the axis, not that we noticed anything...but still took a lot of power to do that

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 12:41 AM
link   

andy1972
Someone predicting an earthquake around Chile is like someone predicitng a cold winter in Siberia or rain in England..it's a given, not a science.

But the big buggers are nothing like cold winters or rain in any region are they? The plates on the rim rattle all the time but rarely stop the traffic!

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Ummm, guys? Not yet verified on the USGS site:

2014-04-03 03:14:11.3 mb 5.0 A RUSSIA-KAZAKHSTAN BORDER REGION SC3
2014-04-03 03:11:20.2 20.65 S 70.45 W 10 Mw 6.8 A: SVALBARD REGION KAN
10 Mw 7.3 A: NORTH ATLANTIC OCEAN KAN
2014-04-03 02:52:34.0 15.24 N 31.54 W 10 M 7.4 A NORTH ATLANTIC OCEAN MLT
2014-04-03 02:52:11.7 57.62 N 11.22 W 552 M 5.5 A! NORTH ATLANTIC OCEAN KAN
2014-04-03 02:51:11.3 18.05 N 51.02 W 10 Mw 7.6 A NORTH ATLANTIC OCEAN BUD
2014-04-03 02:50:59.1 8.11 N 43.77 W 10 mb 7.4 A NORTH ATLANTIC OCEAN BEO
2014-04-03 02:50:48.0 5.32 N 42.39 E 10 A NORTH ATLANTIC OCEAN MSO
2014-04-03 02:47:54.3 35.66 N 24.62 E 10 mb 6.2 A PARA, BRAZIL BEO
2014-04-03 02:44:32.4 3.57 S 65.66 W 15 mb 6.2 A RONDONIA, BRAZIL ZAMG
2014-04-03 02:43:59.0 14.00 S 65.00 W 1 mb 6.2 A BENI, BOLIVIA LED
2014-04-03 02:10:21.2 M 5.5 A WESTERN SAHARA MLT
2014-04-03 02:10 M IMP
2014-04-03 02:09:03.5 18.03 N 20.72 W 10 M 5.5 A NORTH ATLANTIC OCEAN MLT

[link to www.emsc-csem.org]

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 12:45 AM
link   

research100
reply to post by Shana91aus

the Japan one changed the axis, not that we noticed anything...but still took a lot of power to do that

Thanks for replying me! yeah that must be the one she was talking about! I had heard of it but honestly didn't think it was true. I am intrigued now will have to look more in to it.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Kitora
M 7.8 - 23km S of Iquique, Chile

Time
2014-04-03 00:13:15 UTC-02:30
Depth
20.0km

earthquake.usgs.gov...

This is an absolutely enormous quake for a depth that shallow ON land of all places.

My thoughts go out to Chile if this is actually the case. Let's hope that nothing larger is coming.

thats not an after shock, its a separate quake and it looks like whatever is going on is moving inland. my thoughts are with those effected by this

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 01:18 AM
link   

minkmouse

andy1972

But the big buggers are nothing like cold winters or rain in any region are they? The plates on the rim rattle all the time but rarely stop the traffic!

Yeah, but the zone is the worlds EQ hotspot..its a question of numbers, if you say it often enough, one year you'll get lucky.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 01:36 AM
link   

There is quite a bif if study around volcanoes being triggered by earthquakes.

Approximately 0.4% of explosive volcanic eruptions occur within a few days of large, distant earthquakes. This many “triggered” eruptions is much greater than expected by chance. Several mechanisms have been proposed to explain triggering through changes in magma overpressure, including the growth of bubbles, the advection of large pressures by rising bubbles, and overturn of magma chambers. Alternatively, triggered eruptions may occur through failure of rocks surrounding stored magma. All these mechanisms require a process that enhances small static stress changes caused by earthquakes or that can convert (the larger) transient, dynamic strains into permanent changes in pressure. All proposed processes, in addition to viscoelastic relaxation of stresses, can result in delayed triggering of eruptions, although quanti- fying the connection between earthquakes and delayed, triggered eruptions is much more challenging. Mud volcanoes and geysers also respond to distant earthquakes. Mud volcanoes that discharge mud from depths greater than many hundreds of me- ters may be triggered by liquefaction caused by shaking, and may thus be similar to small mud volcanoes that originate within a few meters of the surface. Changes in permeability of the matrix surrounding main geyser conduits, by opening or creating new fractures, may explain the observed changes in their eruption frequency.

Seismic triggering of eruptions in the far field: Volcanoes and geysers

And ya, this isn't looking like a normal aftershock sequence.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 06:12 AM
link   

andy1972

Mmmm Indeed but predicting the region , the area, and the approximate date and size is.......

These guys spend a lot of time doing their research.......

youve been a long time member im surprised you arent familiar with their work.......

And I find it sad that you have to try and take it away from them when theyve pieced together lots of time and effort and got it right..........

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Kitora

that is a big aftershock... it is less than the 8.2 original quake but still it is still huge.

?

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by incoserv

Different plates than California.

Honestly its impossible to predict quakes.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Another theory is that the south america is pushing back with africa

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join