It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are "Social Justice Warriors" mentally ill or just stupid?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by doubletap

I think you need to be more definitive in what you mean by SJW. For clarification.
Give an example maybe so that posters know what your angle is, where you are coming from, etc.

Lots of opinions, values, etc. set us apart as people and we may not see what your saying in the same context as you, so could you clarify what you are getting at ib your OP?? [confused emoticon here]

Thanks.....BTW...good topic......I think??

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   
"Mentally ill or just stupid"

I see what you did there. Thats called a fallacious and inflammatory argument.

Why is so much trolling allowed on this site these days?

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by LABTECH767

There is a difference between what you describe and social justice. Social justice is a dog endlessly chasing it's tail. It's based on the idea that you can design a system that creates a perfectly equal outcome for all and enforce it through the law.

Now, to get an idea of how defeating that is ... try imagining designing a board game where every player starts at a different place and ends up at the exact same end. How do you design that rule set and make it fair and just for every player? I'll save you some trouble ... You can't. It's impossible, but that's what social justice tries to do. It's an endless system of laws designed to lift up some at the expense of others all in pursuit of making everything "fair." But no matter what you do, you will always create a group who gets more advantaged than you intended and others who are disadvantaged more than you intended (we call these unintended consequences) making it necessary to pass new rules ...

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by palmalBlue2

In the interest of avoiding posting exactly what another poster did, check out domo's post on page 2.

He described social justice warriors perfectly.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

i could give you a gob of stars for this post!

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Any intelligent and mature adult can see these people have some issues mentally. Pointing that out isn't trolling.

It isn't a case of "they're mentally ill because they have different opinions", it's a case of perpetual victimhood, hypocrisy, pathological lying, double standards, racism, and gender hatred.

The only question is exactly how big of a team of psychiatrists would be needed to deal with them.
edit on 1-4-2014 by doubletap because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Seen Domo's post and completely agree!

Thats the kind of crap that makes me want to stay in my cave and you can pick any social issue and apply it.
I think we are on the same page here.

And for those that think OP is hypocrisy......what else can we do except vent to like minded people.
Seriously open for suggestions because I see it, LIVE IT, and do NOT know what else to do except shy away from it all.
[except vent to ATSers who still have brain cells]

edit on 1-4-2014 by palmalBlue2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   

buster2010

greencmp

buster2010

Are they mentally ill, or is it another case of creatures not having anything close to a foothold in reality?

Who is more "mentally ill" the people who point out flaws in the system or the people that support a failure of a system that we have in America.

You are not pointing out flaws in "the system" when you propose a bureaucratic solution to a private matter. You are celebrating and expanding "the system".

When you are pointing out flaws that allowed people to crash the economy for profit then it is not a private matter it is a national matter because it effects everyone in one way or another.

You won't get any argument from me regarding the crony-regulatory complex. It's the 'social justice' crowd who wish to further empower the state to dictate non-criminal behavior that he is talking about here (I presume).

As was asked before, what is the difference between social justice and plain old fashioned justice?

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   

greencmp

buster2010

greencmp

buster2010

Are they mentally ill, or is it another case of creatures not having anything close to a foothold in reality?

Who is more "mentally ill" the people who point out flaws in the system or the people that support a failure of a system that we have in America.

You are not pointing out flaws in "the system" when you propose a bureaucratic solution to a private matter. You are celebrating and expanding "the system".

When you are pointing out flaws that allowed people to crash the economy for profit then it is not a private matter it is a national matter because it effects everyone in one way or another.

You won't get any argument from me regarding the crony-regulatory complex. It's the 'social justice' crowd who wish to further empower the state to dictate non-criminal behavior that he is talking about here (I presume).

As was asked before, what is the difference between social justice and plain old fashioned justice?

Social justice vs. old fashioned deserves its own thread......wanna start one??? [insert smiles and thumbs up here]

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   

To offer no other alternative is, again, fallacious and inflammatory.

Regardless of where anyone falls on the argument, to start with a fallacious argument, and to follow it up with "any intelligent person can see" says all that needs to be said.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

There isn't a need for a 3rd option unless you wanted to say they are both mentally ill and stupid. There are numerous dysfunctions within that particular group, and those dysfunctions fit nicely into 1 of the 2 categories.

Nice try though.
edit on 1-4-2014 by doubletap because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   

You arent getting it. Its okay though. Id expect no less around here.

(post by doubletap removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Your thread title is and premise for the thread are to much of a generalization.

If I was fighting for a right that I believed I needed that you had would that make me retarded or just standing up for myself. You're lumping everyone in one category.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   

ketsuko

There is a difference between what you describe and social justice. Social justice is a dog endlessly chasing it's tail. It's based on the idea that you can design a system that creates a perfectly equal outcome for all and enforce it through the law.

Now, to get an idea of how defeating that is ... try imagining designing a board game where every player starts at a different place and ends up at the exact same end. How do you design that rule set and make it fair and just for every player? I'll save you some trouble ... You can't. It's impossible, but that's what social justice tries to do. It's an endless system of laws designed to lift up some at the expense of others all in pursuit of making everything "fair." But no matter what you do, you will always create a group who gets more advantaged than you intended and others who are disadvantaged more than you intended (we call these unintended consequences) making it necessary to pass new rules ...

And yet if we do nothing we go backward in social structure, the modern ideas of social justice began with the christian missionary movement as in hinduism and asian philosophy cast and place in society are not challenged but in christian social view we are all god's children and though one may be above another here in that ideal world we seek that is not the case, indeed it originates in the christian statement by Jesus "The Meek shall inherit the earth" and is a vain which runs throughout the bible, "It is easier for a cammel to enter heaven than for a rich man to pass through the eye of a needle", "If you have two coats and your brother has non give one to him", "The rich have had there reward here and you shall have yours in heaven", "Build up your wealth in heaven where the thief can not steal it and it can not rot away", "A man gathered up wealth for himself into his barn but his sole was required before his could spend it so who now inherites his wealth".

So as you can see Ketsuko not only did european imperialism and the industrial revolution which sparked reformists founded in christian morality and faith and the ensuing global spread of christian ideology no matter how perverted and corrupted help to create the world where you yourself are now placed on your own social placement but it also helped to create the technological world and ideals of modern democracy which is fundementally based on the idea that all men are equal enough to have the same value of vote in the say as to how there future is governed (sadly the politicians are the worst offenders though).

Life is not a board game so let me explain this to you, You will die, I will die, You were born, I was born, Your blood is red because of the oxidised heamoglobin in your blood cell's and so is mine, (Unless you are an alien of course) you are human and so am I.
Now of course the particulars of certain neuclaic chains may or may not help to make one or either of us more intelligent than the other but even that can be selective intelligence so how do you test it, I have no way of seeing you but I am 6'1", hazel eyed with dark blonde hair, 18 stone of once very muscular build and like to read, watch drama (Especially escapist material) and have had my share of psychic occurances (which you probably would not believe).
Now I am telling you this to point out that to some I would be thought superiot (Except in my grammar but then I am self tought there) as I was an electronic engineer and laboratory technician many years ago so though like most of those with those skill I had a higher IQ than your average business student but lacked certain social abilitys, I nevertheless have never and would never regard myself as above my fellow human beings and am simply a man like my brothers around me, it is all well and good for they whom think themselves superior to claim to be so but the end loughs at them very ultimately, death is called the great equalizer for a reason.
I can only assume that your moral upbringing and social background would be radically different to mine so there is no way like your hypothetical game board that We could ever see eye to eye on this matter but one little story for you.
There was once a spanish missionary shortly after the discovery of the americas whom managed to set up a functioning utopia with no concept of money but shared christian belief and parctice, it worked for at least a generation and suddenly looking for slaves his utopia was smashed and his fully christian followers (whose way of life had swelled there community with new native converts attracted by there standard of living) where dragged off and put in chains with the permission of a spanish bishop and made into slaves, now if we do not stop those whom simply accept life is unfair and would allow the world to burn around them while they look after selfish and worthless number one then that is the future for our entire race while a handful of morons less intelligent than the average six year old and living examples of vice set themselve up as our emperors and owners.
You know we actually know whom these scum are but are tied as unlike them we do now want to hurt our own to achieve our end's.

edit on 1-4-2014 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by greencmp

Or the people who don't do enough critical thinking to realize that their major cause and solution is just going to further crush the little people they think they are empowering by demanding that government step in. I may only be restating what you just said.

By demanding more and more rules for business, each one imposes a cost, the more cost you impose the harder it is for any business to pay those costs associated just with following the rules alone and stay in business. In the end, only the very biggest businesses are the ones who can remain in business. Very often, they are the ones who will partner, albeit silently, with the social justice warriors because it will put their up and coming competitors out of business. And the less competitors there are in any market ... the less responsive to your customers you have to be.

It's a vicious cycle.

But as to the cost of regulation, I can give you an example. My husband works directly with regulatory. His is one of the only areas in his company that has expanded. His own, personal dept. went from just him to 11 employees working for him since 2008 and the era of big government regulation. That's quite a bit of cost associated with just the manpower costs. That's before you start getting into the paperwork and testing costs and everything else all that extra work is causing.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   
One thing to think about, every slave rebellion begins with a quest for social justice and every slave rebellion begins when the minority whom garner all the power shrink to an extreme as opposed to the majority whom are suffering because of there corruption and greed.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   

The problem is when you attempt to use force to make everything fair. You presume quite a bit about me. I used the analogy of a board game to simplify my point, but the reality is the same. You still cannot design a system of laws that will create and equal outcome. The best you can do is create a set of laws and apply them equally to all, no matter what.

The first system is always going to be unjust and predatory. If I do too well, or have the wrong parents or ethnicity or come from the wrong place, I will be penalized for things beyond my control. My life ceases to be my own and becomes someone else's to dictate based on some unseen scale or whim. Why bother even trying because there is no point.

Under the second system, I will be treated the same as everyone else. I have the opportunity to go as far as my hands and my abilities can take me. I may not start with as much as some others, but I can make as much as I can of what I do have so long as I work within the same laws as the rest. And I can keep what I earn for myself if I earned it fairly.

What we have here in the states is a horrible, bastardized concoction of the two.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   

LABTECH767
One thing to think about, every slave rebellion begins with a quest for social justice and every slave rebellion begins when the minority whom garner all the power shrink to an extreme as opposed to the majority whom are suffering because of there corruption and greed.

Or it begins with the desire to have liberty - your rights to your personal property, defense, etc. Social justice mocks those.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

Yes but it was never about the result but the attempt and for so long as someone is attempting to do so then the world is a potentially much fairer place, All children should have access to decent education and a meritocracy should be enshrined in law but also all people should whatever there meritocratic rating have a chance to improve themselves.
This may never be a functional reality but the ideals must live on as they tend toward a more progressive society, Here in Britain where I live we have no meritocracy and unfortunately the general tendancy based in our own culture is to pull others down, for example and from experience a supervisor becomes concerned for his own position if someone shows aptitude in certain areas which he thinks overlaps his own job so he will often move them away from where those above him can spot that ability, this is a result soical moral decay in british social structure and shows a more animalistic propensity to self preservation at the expense of others at all level's of society, but as in the story about the priest and his native indian utopia it can be simply a matter of eductation and social structure.
Changing it though when it is an entrenched state of mind is a near impossible task but I believe that does not detract from the value of trying to do so.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join