It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harry Reid: People Aren’t Educated on How to Use the Internet

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Quadrivium

How can a President change a law without going through congresss? - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

My friend to answer your question I'll just give you Obamas answer.

Is he king?

Will,,,,,, in his own mind,,,,,and then the media and obama faithfuls had him believing he was,,,,,

He's the President, but don't expect him to act that way.

edit on 26-3-2014 by guohua because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   

DontTreadOnMe
Every time I think I've heard it all, every time I figure the ACA proponents cannot possibly sink any further...some maroon open's his mouth.

He should be ASHAMED of himself.

You're right and this time they didn't blame Bush,,, No,, they Blamed the American People!

Yes, it's our fault, your's and mine, yes, I'm setting here and I don't know what I'm doing right know, this is all magic to me.
Why, how did this black box even light up
COOL!

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) is at it again in his strident defense of Obamacare.

Attempting to excuse the Obama Administration's latest delay of the sign-up deadline, Reid blamed Americans who, in the 21st century, still don't know what this Internet thing is all about.

Reid Defends obamacare

Yes, Harry, it's Magic, burn me at the stack, I must be a Witch!!!

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Elton
That was painful to watch, why does Nevada keep him???

He's actually quite good for the state (I lived in his district for 18 years, and even voted for him, I just don't like him in a leadership position). One of the best things he has done has been to help out the geothermal industry in Nevada. That is a real green energy technology that works.

That said, he's wrong in the context he's using the phrase. Sure there's some people that don't know how to use a website but that group is the minority, and it's the extreme minority among the young people that have to fund the program for it to work. It's just an empty excuse.
edit on 26-3-2014 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Stupid is as stupid does dear Harry. Just listen to the snake turn and roll. Lying is nothing for this jerk.

edit on 26-3-2014 by whywhynot because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Aazadan

The majority of our reps believe that we are simple children and they have been elected to handle our affairs. I say throw them all out and start again.

I even have a name for the new party - "Take out the trash"

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Ok, I apologize if I am on a rant, however it is an on topic rant, but I am deeply offended by Sen. Reid's condescending accusation that we poor subject's are too ignorant to know how to sign up for Obamacare. Reid is like 100 yrs. old right? Just because he finally had to give up his typewriter because you cannot get ribbons anymore and he needs a staffers help in replacing the batteries in his pager, he believes that WE are morons? Get a grip Harry, welcome to America 10.4. We get it, we are plugged in and turned on. We absolutely understand the internet. Heck, I've got a 6 yr. old grandson that knows how to surf, with parental guidance of course. Harry you are a sniveling, self-serving moron and I hope that you wake up one day and look into the mirror. That guy looking back at you is pretty pathetic.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Aazadan

He's actually quite good for the state (I lived in his district for 18 years, and even voted for him,

He is a cough cough Senator, he doesn't have a district. Senators are elected for the entire state. You could have lived in his district when he was a congressman in the 1980's but that was more than the 18yrs ago that you say you lived there.

He soaked the state for millions and doesn't give jack about the state. He is the chief mother whore.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   

whywhynot
reply to post by Aazadan

He is a cough cough Senator, he doesn't have a district. Senators are elected for the entire state. You could have lived in his district when he was a congressman in the 1980's but that was more than the 18yrs ago that you say you lived there.

He soaked the state for millions and doesn't give jack about the state. He is the chief mother whore.

Yes, you're right he's a senator, sorry. Anyways he has been great for the state. I no longer live there but it's one of those cases with congress (which is extremely common) where people are happy with their guy but see everyone else as the problem. I'll go as far as admit that Harry Reid should NOT be in a leadership role, but I think he has done an excellent job on state issues which is what he should be doing.

I lived in Nevada from 1984 to 2002, grew up there.

whywhynot
reply to post by Aazadan

The majority of our reps believe that we are simple children and they have been elected to handle our affairs. I say throw them all out and start again.

The truth is he isn't that far off when saying people don't use the internet properly. This website alone is excellent proof that many people are simply bad at evaluating their sources. The internet is a great source of knowledge, but because anyone can publish (and this is not a bad thing) one must have the ability to critically evaluate a source. This isn't like 200 years ago when most books published were credible. There is a lot of questionable content written out there. However, he gets no points for making this observation as it clearly wasn't what he meant in the context that he said what he said.

As far as believing most people can't handle their affairs, if you look at the details of how anyone runs their household with a critical eye, I bet you'll disapprove of most. This is human nature and it's one of the reasons why it's so important to not have devices collecting and storing data on everyone.

Anyways like I said before, I outright disagree with him that people don't know how to use the internet. I'm sure some don't but that's an extreme minority among the younger generations that need to sign up for Obamacare.

whywhynot
Heck, I've got a 6 yr. old grandson that knows how to surf, with parental guidance of course. Harry you are a sniveling, self-serving moron and I hope that you wake up one day and look into the mirror. That guy looking back at you is pretty pathetic.

I've been reading since age 2 and half, writing since 3 and a half (I even learned to hunt and peck a keyboard before a pencil and paper). By age 4 I was using a 2400 baud modem to go online and check out various BBS. As a whole it's not the younger generation (I'm 31 now) that has a problem using the internet. Some of us have been using it for literally our entire sentient lives.
edit on 26-3-2014 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Aazadan

Yeah Harry's a real peach bringing home the bacon:

Sen. Harry Reid (D-NV):

A July 30, 2012, headline in the Las Vegas Review-Journal alerted Nevadans to Sen. Harry Reid’s latest influence-peddling scandal – this one involving ENN Energy Group, a Chinese “green energy” client of the Nevada law firm of which Reid’s son, Rory, is a principal.

As Reuter’s reported on August 31, 2012, “Reid has been one of the project’s most prominent advocates, helping recruit the company during a 2011 trip to China and applying his political muscle on behalf of the project in Nevada. His son, a lawyer with a prominent Las Vegas firm that is representing ENN, helped it locate a 9,000-acre (3,600-hectare) desert site that it is buying well below appraised value from Clark County, where Rory Reid formerly chaired the county commission.”

“Well below appraised value” is a considerable understatement. The deal Rory Reid put together for the firm his dad brought to town saw ENN purchase the site for just $4.5 million – a mere fraction of separate appraisals that valued the property at $29.6 million and $38.6 million. Even with all of that, however, the project has failed to move forward as rapidly as Harry and Rory Reid would like – for the simple reason that there is currently no market in Nevada for the green energy ENN claims it could produce.

But, of course, funneling money to the Reid family is nothing new for the Senate Majority Leader. As the Washington Post reported in a February 7, 2012, story titled “Public projects, private interests:”

In 2004 and 2005, the Senate majority leader secured $21.5 million to build a bridge over the Colorado River, linking the gambling resort town of Laughlin, Nev., with Bullhead City, Ariz. Reid owns 160 acres of undeveloped land in Bullhead City.

And according to Peter Schweizer, writing for Fox News on December 12, 2012, “Sen. Reid has sponsored at least $47 million in earmarks that directly benefitted organizations that one of his sons, Key Reid, [RW1] either lobbies for or is affiliated with.

Needless to say, the well-entrenched Sen. Reid has been a repeat Top Ten offender.

Link

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Why are opponents of these incumbents using their words to hammer them hard in the elections? We are too dumb to use the internet, we can not just point and click, getting on, and ordering stuff?

I guess 55 percent of the people who do shop online from the US may disagree.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by guohua

This coming from a Democrat who's party leader spelled respect - RSPCT.

I take it back.. I think some of Stalin's ideas might be applicable to our politicians... /end sarcasm.

Blaming the people, insinuating they are stupid and claiming they don't know how to use a computer.

Mr. Reid - every time you point your finger at someone to blame, you have 4 more pointing back at you. Please fix your rectal-cranial inversion.

Sincerely

The Neanderthals

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   
So,,, Harry, are you trying to save Obamas Butt with people 65 and older who don't use the computer much so they don't need to sign up for obamacare because they have Medicare.

Low adoption rates among older people remain a major hurdle. Slightly more than half of Americans 65 and older use the Internet, compared with well over three-quarters of those under 65.

In addition, Internet use is lowest in the South, particularly in Mississippi, Alabama and Arkansas.

Willa Ohnoutka, 78, who has lived in the same house in suburban Houston for 40 years, said she did not use the Internet at all. “I use my telephone,” Ms. Ohnoutka said. “I get news on the TV. I’m just not comfortable involving myself with that Internet.”

Harry,, You think Mrs. Ohnoutka, needs to sign up for obamacare?
Others cite expense as the reason they do not use the Internet. Surprise, Surprise!!!! Didn't Somebody Say, People needed to give up some things so they could Afford Obamacare?
Now Who Was That??

Gloria Bean, 41, an elementary school teaching assistant from Calhoun City, Miss., said cost was also a reason she had not had Internet access at home for three years.

“I just couldn’t afford it,” she said. Being cut off, she said, “has affected me and my children.”

“They have to have it for school to do research for a paper or something they need for class,” Ms. Bean said.

As a result, she added, she often rushes from her job at school to pick up her children and take them to the library, where there are 10 computers.

Most of U.S. is Wired
So Harry,,, How about you and your Boss getting those Shovel Ready Jobs Handed Out to Americans he promised and get this Economy Kick in the @ss and get people working, Maybe then they can pay to afford the internet and a good computer.
But you and obama would prefer just to keep the Serfs Thinking You All Know What's Best For Us and You CARE!!!!
We All Know That's A Load of Bull%hit!

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Well, FROM experience he's in the ball park. He's not right on, but in the ball park.

You'd be surprised at what people don't know about there own cell phone. I'll give you a hint, people love iphones because it's easy peasy.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I hate to have to agree with Harry Reid. I've been in the computer biz for many years. You would be surprised how many elderly don't know the basics of operating a computer and finding something on the internet. They know how to send emails (after showing them how), but anything else they try to avoid.

Actually, the majority of elderly people I've had to repair computers for so they can send emails have these extremely old machines that would crawl to a stop if they tried to access a modern web page. They would always say, "I only use it for emails, I don't need a new computer".

A LOT of people feel intimidated by computers still, and although they may have one, they just don't want to deal with it or even try to learn. Many don't even have internet connections in their homes simply because they don't have a need for it, and don't want to pay for it.

Cell phones / smart phones are just small computers too... Many still don't know how to use all the features, and even more just don't own one. It was only two years ago I finally got a cell phone for my dad, he swore against getting one since they were invented, even swore against pagers.

If you are a youngster, it may be hard for you to believe / understand the vast amount of people who still don't have a computer or cell phone. It is a very high number.
edit on 26-3-2014 by WeAre0ne because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by WeAre0ne

Just an FYI, depending upon your definition of elderly, mostly they are on Medicare. They couldn't sign up for Obamacare if they wanted to. Therefore your comment agreeing with Senator idiot really doesn't have relevance since Reid was claiming that it was a lack of computer skills that was keeping the sign up low.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by WeAre0ne

You missed the point.

They kept telling everybody to call a phone number because the website didn't work.

They also said people could sign up with a paper mail in.

There were also many "store-front" offices that had staff to "help" you apply.

This has absolutely -zero- to do with computer or internet "illiteracy".

Harry is trying to re-write history to mask the failures.

Classic blame the victim tactic.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 11:53 PM
link   

xuenchen

Explaining the reasoning behind the latest Obamacare delay, Reid said too many people just didn’t know to use their computer properly and needed more time.

LOL

This is the Democrats' latest attempt to re-write history and provide lame excuses for failure.

Harry Reid is NOT up for re-election in 2014 and therefore can afford to scapegoat himself for the advancement of the party.

The entire point here is to get as much *HEAT* off of Democrats' sixes this November.

Notice how they are ignoring the massive website failures and how we were all told to use a "Navigator" or simply call the toll-free phone number or to use a paper application.

Be aware that other high profile Democrat Senators are also "self-scapegoating" because they are not up for election this year either.

Schumer, Feinstein, Reid are the ring leaders this year.

And note also that Harry Reid is under investigation for corruption by the State of Utah and the FBI has been "instructed" to offer only minimal assistance in that ongoing investigation.

And all this time I thought it was slow hardware on this side. I play contrabuffoon Harry, but you DID know the back end isn't even done on your site yet...? That's why the insurance exchanges aren't getting anything from the enrollees, the back end applications are still MIA. Oh well, maybe next month... but I'm a Cubs fan too.
EDIT:: Glad I had time to be more succinct and on-thread, my apologies.
Senator, I'm retired now, no thanks to the last couple of administrations-- and I still as a computer tech and heavy user (to the point of building workstations for engie types from scratch) still have to have four of them. They all do different jobs and I need all of them. I only hope for the sake of our Congress your successor will do a fraction of the job I demand from one of my babies, however they may infrquently misbehave.
But at this point in the Peter Principle's hyperextension I may be praying for too much.
edit on 27-3-2014 by derfreebie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I've never liked Reid either or Pelosi. Every time I think I want to vote Democrat...they keep throwing people like these at me.

Not really in his defense, but...having worked Tech support for internet connectivity, I can say that ...most people don't know how to use the internet. LOL Facebook, yes. But that's about it.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Elton
That was painful to watch, why does Nevada keep him???

Had to bump the best question of the thread so far.. I think they're dehydrating him completely so the mold materials don't stick to him. Also I believe they're going to pour some bas-relief Welcome to Arizona signs so we can behold His Niftiness in 3D on the interstates and scare the kids in the back seat coming by."There: THAT'll shut 'em up.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 12:06 AM
link   
So did Reid ever get around to explaining what people were doing wrong and how to correct it? If he knows that people were using the Internet incorrectly then he has to know what they were doing wrong, you'd think he'd give folks a heads up so the issue can be quickly resolved. Either that or he's just a dishonest quisling...yeah, let's just go with that, that sounds about right.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join