It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

States Pull Out of Talks to Cut Aircraft Pollution

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Never ending policy ..
.. Economy first!
Forget the environment and the people living by the national airports, with planes flying and dumping fumes right over their heads.

I say it's time to get priorities straight.

States Pull Out of Talks to Cut Aircraft Pollution
Tue 23 November, 2004 22:09

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. state and local air pollution control officials said on Tuesday they are pulling out of five-year-old talks to develop a voluntary program for reducing pollution from aircraft engines.

A pollution-fighting deal with the aviation sector -- which is expected to see a doubling of nitrogen oxide (NOX) emissions by 2030 -- could not be reached, and the officials said they told the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) so on Monday.

Major airports already have NOX emissions that are greater than those by large stationary sources, like refineries and power plants.

Officials with the State and Territorial Air Pollution Program Administrators (STAPPA) and the Association of Local Air Pollution Control Officials (ALAPCO) joined talks in 1999 to cut pollution from aircraft engines.

"More than five years later, we are extremely disappointed that no progress was made concerning the primary objective of reducing aircraft emissions," the associations said in a joint letter to the EPA and FAA.

The two associations represent air pollution control agencies in 54 states and territories and over 165 major metropolitan areas across the United States.

The officials said a proposal made this summer was "inadequate in terms of scope and stringency" and constrained on the ability of state and local agencies to protect against aviation-related pollution.

Specifically, the groups said the proposed nitrogen oxide emission standard for aircraft engines was not strong enough and excluded other pollutants, such as soot.

The officials also opposed excluding airports not in metropolitan areas that failed to meet EPA's clear air standards and were concerned there were few protections against "dumping" old equipment at non-participating airports.

The officials said that despite not being able to reach an agreement, they are committed "to identifying and implementing strategies" for meaningful emission reductions from the aviation sector.

reuters

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   
General Aviation uses in ONE YEAR the same amount of fuel cars, trucks and busses use in ONE DAY. I am Green. But going after Aviation is not in the best interests of the Earth. Here's why: the reason we fly.

While the Cessna 172 the flight instructor is flying above your head may not stop Armageddon, the student he is training might. We train NASA pilots every day at my airport. And the industries we support develop the technology that makes it possible to Deny Asteroids.

The people who build and buy near airports KNEW the airport was there BEFORE they came. I live under an approach, and my bumpersticker reads I LOVE AIRPORT NOISE.

[edit on 25-11-2004 by Chakotay]

join