It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people always argue the wrong things?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   

SLAYER69
reply to post by deadlyhope

I hear ya

Bring up God and the next thing you know people wanna argue over the Bible or Religion as if they're really related

Interesting Rant.
edit on 23-3-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

Yep, even suggesting the abstract concept of an outside original cause, no matter how unknowable or impersonal.

Tends to get you lumped in with us "Religious" based nutters

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Isn't that the truth.

Thanks for your replies, everyone. I didn't suspect my midnight rage would turn into various members weighing in, but it did. Alas, regardless of what my post is about, , this is still a better place than many.

Hopefully I can go against what I rant about, often enough I will almost reply to a post only to realize I have written something that's sarcastic , or simply wrong, so I delete it. Now just to weigh in more often in positive ways, rather than just not weighing in negatively...

Cheers ladies and gents,

Deadlyhope

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Those are called straw man arguments. If you want to see plenty of examples, looks for certain posters posting on the threads I make or after most of my posts on ATS. I think some on ATS are doing it as a hobby.

A straw man, also known in the UK as an Aunt Sally,[1][2] is a common type of argument and is an informal fallacy based on the misrepresentation of the original topic of argument. To be successful, a straw man argument requires that the audience be ignorant or uninformed of the original argument.
The so-called typical "attacking a straw man" implies an adversarial, polemic, or combative debate, and creates the illusion of having completely refuted or defeated an opponent's proposition by covertly replacing it with a different proposition (i.e., "stand up a straw man") and then to refute or defeat that false argument, ("knock down a straw man,") instead of the original proposition.[3][4]
This technique has been used throughout history in polemical debate, particularly in arguments about highly charged emotional issues where a fiery, entertaining "battle" and the defeat of an "enemy" may be more valued than critical thinking or understanding both sides of the issue.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by theabsolutetruth

That's exactly what I'm talking about, thank you, the absolute truth.

What we cannot agree on together, we cannot change together.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

I'll go one step farther and say it is because of the basic human condition. Most people don't know their ass from a hole in the ground and they KNOW that they don't know it. They are sensitive about their beliefs because of that.

You have people on one side who know that their beliefs are just that and they aren't sure WHY they believe them. Then you have people on the other side who DON'T think that their beliefs are beliefs and instead think they are fact because that's what they were told.

An appeal to authority for all of their beliefs. In either one of these cases you are going to have responses that are emotional, or at the least lack any rational basis in the response and it creates an inability to have discourse.

The sad thing is that it's not like you can create a site that only allows the type of person who believes what they do based on rational, logical thought and KNOWS that what they believe are in fact just beliefs because it's impossible to know who's who until you hear what comes out of their mouth or rather, off of their keyboard.

So we must suffer the idiocy and weed through their posts to have any type of meaningful discourse.

It is frustrating, but it is what it is.

Jaden

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Masterjaden

Someone says something like -" I believe there is a solution to every problem, and often the solution can be found in the circumstances creating the problem. "

I realize human nature is an extreme force, but I do also believe their are solutions to problems. In the case of ats it'd be really hard, due to so many people and styles, but I do think something can be done, I just don't know what. But ignorance doesn't correlate with a solution not existing....

Some learn and grow to the point they begin to criticize, and instead of looking for and spreading ideas they seek out recognition, they feed their ego and don't want others to be as high as themselves. People like that halter the progression of everyone. Their cup is full, so it cannot be filled, and they also ruin others experiences with criticism, skepticism, the straw man deal, etc.

Anyways, thanks for posting everyone, this thread is as mild mannered and on point as I've seen.

Take it easy,

Deadlyhope

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 03:47 AM
link   

They are so utterly programmed to down to a DNA level that it is completely impulsive.

What shocks me is when you show someone the truth on some subject, and they have a complete epiphany, but then never learn the lesson from it, obviously to the core, and just repeat the same procedure with everything they come across.

De-evolving, damage, soul damage, it gets very deep.

Many do not have the genetic code to change themselves either, they will actually never know what they are missing, but they DO know that they hurt.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Part of the problem with the religious thing is that Dawkins, with that awful book of his, has reduced the argument to the level of primitive spiteful conflict. He should not say things like people who believe have a mental virus nor should he arrogantly claim a monopoly on reason and declare all those who don't reason as he does deluded. In speaking like this he has ensured that the debate will never rise above tiny-minded spite.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Greed doesn't just attach itself to money. Ones own ego can be greedy. Have to win this debate or for the most part, argument, because I have to feed the monster (Mr. Ego). Then we can throw in power just for a kicker and we have a full blown fight. At that time we no longer see where we were going with the discussion and we end up in a CF and loose sight of the goal. Which is to learn from others. That is what I got from your rant. Thank you.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join