It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Question on the Philosophy of Human Cat Interaction

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
The point of this may be hard to grasp, but I would like some input.

I communicate well with cats. However, I am beginning to think my cat is smarter than me. Here is the situation. I show my cat what he can do, for example, I show him how to sit on different window ledges around the apartment and raise the blinds for him to do so. In effect, I am teaching him this process, and I teach him many more. He learns well.

The window is really the prime example, because the process of sitting on the window ledge and watching what goes on outside gathers a lot of information during the work day that I don't gather myself - even though I'm the one who showed him how to do it.

So what motivates the cat to watch out the window? Boredom? Or does the cat think that since I showed him how to look out the window that I also know as much as him about what goes on outside? Does he think that he has to keep up with my non-existent window watching?

When I show the cat how to look out the window, I think I forget that he now knows what goes on outside the window - I wonder if my cat thinks that just because I showed him how to look out the window, that I know what goes on outside the window, too.

But the reality is, I just know how to think critically and solve problems - and bring new processes into the situation - but that doesn't mean that I'm always manning them. So what does that make me?

Eventually, I will have shown the cat all the processes I can think of - but the cat is the one who does it, not me, so in effect the cat becomes smart as hell while my intelligence is in question.

This is not just about cats.
edit on 22pmSat, 22 Mar 2014 16:44:27 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

I've had cats all my life. All of them I have ever had love to go outside or look out the window if they're in the house. All of them. In fact, if I have anything in front of the window they will knock it over so they can sit up there and just watch the world go by. As to why they want to look out the window, well would'nt you want to look out the window if you were stuck inside all day? Even people in the looney bin like to sit and look out the window, so I don't know why its so surprising that the cat likes to do it.

The window is really the prime example, because the process of sitting on the window ledge and watching what goes on outside gathers a lot of information during the work day that I don't gather myself - even though I'm the one who showed him how to do it.

LOL! trust me, if you had never "shown" the cat how to look out the window he would have done it anyways. Even if you had left the blinds closed he would have found a way to get through them and sit on the ledge.

But you're right, I don't really understand your question, I just wanted to point that out.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Cancerwarrior

Ha ha - I think that is an important point. It does sort of answer a bit of my question as well, not sure how. I guess that even though I think of myself as teaching the cat, apparently I'm just deluding myself lol - although I am sure he takes from what I show him what suits his needs.
edit on 22pmSat, 22 Mar 2014 16:50:11 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   

You need to talk to SystemResistor.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Imagine that! an animal with a strong prey drive watching things that move.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Being owned by 8 cats I can tell you this much. You should change the OP title to Cat/human interaction. Because if they dont want to interact with you they don't. They choose us and concede to be touched and so fourth. I have one that if I don't let him in the bedroom at night...he will stand at the door and sing the song of his people's till dawn.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   

I have a cat who loves to look out the window; however, when I tried to take him outside, he panicked and wanted back in. He was part of a litter found in a rough part of town outside of a restaurant. I swear he has PTSD from that experience. He doesn't like loud noises (or loud people) at all.

Every cat that I've owned has been very clever. Some figured out that faucets were fresher water supplies and only drank from there. Others learned to open doors on their own. My current adoptee knows that his claws can wreck things. He accidentally clawed an oriental paper lamp one time and was just last night cautiously batting at an insect gently against that same lamp. He didn't get scolded for the tear, btw. His choice to be careful with it was made all on his own. Smart kitty with an apparent adoration of aesthetics.

My cats have never been treated as anything but equals in my household. As such, when I'm oversleeping through my alarm clock, my cat doesn't get in trouble for swatting me in the face to wake me because the sound is annoying him, lol (also self taught). They are intelligent family members and as such, it's pretty fascinating to watch them in their behaviors developed without human training or conditioning. Never underestimate a cat's intelligence. They are clever buggers.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   

My first response, on the literal interpretation of your post: the cat likes looking out the window because there is motion out there. Cats like to watch and track movements. They love to sit and observe things moving around. The next part of that natural desire is that, when interested by something, they will begin stalking it. Its all part of the predator cycle they go through.

Beyond that....I am unsure what you mean by "this doesn't refer to just cats"?

Have you ever noticed how little humans just sit and observe? You are right...we are problem solvers. Observational focus is something that we just don't take time for. it doesn't mesh well with an existence that shares a space with a clock.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Darkbake....I think yer cat probably just thinks of you fondly as "Staff"......

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Cats are the worst kind of pet, Opportunistic users.

You are just a Can opener to it, studies have shown a cat is as loyal as what it gets from you.

No wonder they get along so well with humans.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Might I suggest going on youtube and searching for "Sad Cat Diary". If this isnt cats, I don't know what is. I have laughed at this vid for months.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   
One of our cats acts like what we would expect an Egyptian Queen would act like. We are the servents, she likes us to hold the dishes up in front of her so she doesn't have to bend down or come out of her basket to eat. It has to be a wide bowl, she does not like to get her whiskers dirty. I am getting used to being a slave.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I've lived with cats all my life and I have never, ever had a blind that didn't have it's corners destroyed by cats pushing through to get into the window. They all do it. They can't help themselves.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Ah, cats. Some love them, some hate them, and I have even met a few that are indifferent to them. I myself am a cat person. I always had one, until I had children. I didn't realize how much I missed those furry, feisty felines until I got a stray last summer. His name was Emerson, but that didn't fit well, so I changed it to Ralph.

Mr. Ralph is an inside cat, and he LOVES to sit as near the windows as he can. He also, like all cats, is working on destroying all the blinds!
I think cats are very much like people. They sure are opportunistic like many people I know! But I love them, and hope to have a cat in my home for the rest of my life!

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   

benrl
Cats are the worst kind of pet, Opportunistic users.

You are just a Can opener to it, studies have shown a cat is as loyal as what it gets from you.

No wonder they get along so well with humans.

Not true at all. No, no, no! I had a neighbor who had an outdoor cat and it knew my schedual, when I was about to go to work and when I came home and he would always come running over for attention and 'talks'. LOL That cat adored me and I never fed it a morsel to get that attention. Once when I was a little girl my Mom was allergic to cats so I couldn't have any and she would scold me for feeding any outdoor strays. Well one day a lovely white kitty came over and would stay with me for the longest time every day. It was some time before I snuck food out for it. LOL That cat was very intelligent and would sometimes follow me like a puppy dog but if I told her to go home she would turn around and go. Wow!

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Hmmm...

You showed the cat what to do.

You bring new processes into the situation,
but that doesn't mean you're always manning them.

He gathers a lot of information during the work day,
that you don't gather yourself...

What does that make you???

Sounds like you are the cat's CEO!!!
Bwahahahaha!!!!
WOQ

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Windows are like a TV channel for cats.They love to watch what is going on outside.It brightens up their day to watch birds,squirrels,just anything that moves out there.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

Those cats are what hear called "cat dogs". My Ralph is quite like a dog in many respects, except he likes to wait under my bed and attack unsuspecting legs and feet! It's a bit funny, because my kids (ages 2-7) are always saying "Ralph is going to get me!" When they want to get on my bed. They'll have memories of this "ferocious beast", who is a cuddle bug!

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by chelsdh

Yeah I agree, my cat is like a "cat dog." Does your cat pant? Does it run around the house at high speeds growling like a dog? Mine does, just so you know.

Well, I kind of find the opportunistic nature of cats comforting because at least it makes it easy for me to know what to do to get along with them. Gus has made it easier for me to live alone. I think it is essential I have a cat or I'll go crazy.
edit on 23pmSun, 23 Mar 2014 15:06:04 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Dimithae

Windows are like a TV channel for cats.They love to watch what is going on outside.It brightens up their day to watch birds,squirrels,just anything that moves out there.

I bought a bird feeder to put outside the window for my cat to watch, ha! Hehe

top topics

<<   2 >>

join