It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ron Paul on Crimea: None of America’s business

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Aazadan

No it's not our fight. Read about the treaty we have with the Ukraine. I don't think what Putin is doing is right, by any stretch and I question the legality of that vote for Crimea to join Russia since international observers weren't allowed to witness the voting... however, none of that obliges the US to do anything. And we shouldn't, we are no example to begin with not to mention it will only make things worse.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by xavi1000

Yes, it will still be none of USA's business! Lets look at the facts! By Obama sanctioning only SEVEN people he has made our country look extremely weak to the rest of the world! What in the hell are sanctions on seven people gonna accomplish!

If he had any intention of rebuking Putin's actions, he would have sanctioned millions!! If he were a strong leader, he would be persuading the EU to get Russia under control and stop the tyranny! Better yet, if Obama were really upset about Ukrainian's being bull dozed, perhaps he would have honored their request for weapons so the people of Ukraine could defend themselves from the Russian military stronghold!

You think it was a fair decision the Ukrainian's were given? Do you think that vote came out of no duress? Fear is a great motivator! You would have voted for Russia too, if your life was being threatened and you were staring down the barrel of a machine gun!

The problem is, throughout history, America has come in a saved the day! So the rest of the world looks to US to solve their problems.

Ron Paul is right!! Not the United States' business!

Pax

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Kali74
reply to post by Aazadan

No it's not our fight. Read about the treaty we have with the Ukraine. I don't think what Putin is doing is right, by any stretch and I question the legality of that vote for Crimea to join Russia since international observers weren't allowed to witness the voting... however, none of that obliges the US to do anything. And we shouldn't, we are no example to begin with not to mention it will only make things worse.

If it weren't for the Nuclear Non-Proliferation issue I would say we could just let it go, like we should have with Iraq where we were obligated by treaty to go back in and enforce the peace terms. Unfortunately there's a bigger picture here and that's the issue of nuclear weapons. Ukraine gave up a HUGE arms stockpile, and they did so because of our assurances to protect their land. Do you think Putin would have taken Crimea if the Ukraine still had nukes? Especially when the one use of them that's politically acceptable is to use them inside of your own borders to repel an invading force?

If we want to make the world more stable and reduce nuclear arms in the world, then we must be willing to use conventional arms when necessary. Israel, North Korea, and Pakistan are states that it scares the hell out of me to recognize have nuclear weapons. If we want any hope of those states actually disarming at some point in the future, to say nothing of Iran then we must show that maintaining borders of non nuclear nations against nuclear nations will be respected and fought for.

I don't want US soldiers to die in Ukraine, and I only see a lot of bad things happening from the US and Russia getting into a direct conflict but standing by that treaty is the way to cause the least harmful backlash in the future.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Ron Paul is absolutely correct. US has no right to interfere in Crimea. This region was given to Ukraine in a good spirit by Russia, which was violated by Ukrainian leaders.

The problem with the "West" or the Western Alliance is that component nations have completely forgotten their responsibility and are only interested in money.

I repeat what I have said many times on this website - slavery and prostitution are the reasons for collapse of a nation.

Any civilization that allows these vices does not last long. It can for some time but will collapse.

USSR failed due to slavery. Feudal China failed due to slavery. Now USA thinks it can get its goods made overseas at very low prices, and even workers in USA itself are being paid unfair wages.

The "Christian wisdom" of saying "till death do us apart" at the time of marriage is absolutely true. Unmarried or married people changing partners is prostitution. The very act of a sexual nature creates a contract between a man and woman. Vedic law recognizes eight types of marriage, including one that arises from forced intercourse. The promiscuity that has taken hold in the Western society is very troubling.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Kali74
reply to post by Aazadan

I don't think what Putin is doing is right, by any stretch and I question the legality of that vote for Crimea to join Russia since international observers weren't allowed to witness the voting...

Would you please care to substantiate your opinion with facts? Please prove that international observers weren't allowed to witness the voting.

If you can't, then please be so kind to modify your opinion and accept that you were wrong. That's how self respecting adults do it.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   

GargIndia
USSR failed due to slavery.

Wow. Same here. Please substantiate your claim.

There was factual slavery in Russia during the 90s and beginning of 2000s, but that had nothing to do with USSR.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

I love so many things that Ron says. Unfortunately, he's too fringe to ever get elected president. I love his non-interventionist views and thoughts on individual liberty. Hopefully, some of his ideas will be backed by those in a position to actually change things. edpalermo.com...

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:00 AM
link   
The vote was never going to be anything different, the majority of Crimea is ethnic Russian population.

It didn't need to be fixed because it was always going to be pro Russian. Dur. No pictures of tanks in the polling booths or rifles at grannies head. Didn't you see the parties when the vote was announced?

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Lovely!!! If you sign a treaty as enforcer/guarantee, you put your pledge to seeing that treaty enforced. Yes, a similar treaty got the US into Vietnam, guaranteeing the DMZ. There maybe room to quibble about how ethnic Russians were crowded into Chimera by the Russian Empire and USSR, displacing by force the original Ukrainian people. Still, it is a naked power play on the same order, with the same justifications, as the Nazi moves to take the Sudetenland and annex Czechoslovakia prior to World War II.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Russia is getting what it deserves. A slap on the wrist and that is all. The truth is the vast majority of the people in Crimia really wanted to be Russian and even VOTED to be so. The problem is Russia broke some international rules in the way they went about bringing those people into their grasp. Russia deserves some minor condemnation but nothing more. It is none of our business beyond them breaking international norms. Not worth undoing 20 years of progress between east and west.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Where is all this nazi crud coming from? I only here it from Russia. Not doubting you, just something to back it up would be nice.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Xeven

They should have moved back to Russia then. If you start bowing down to an immigrant majority despite what your country's constitution says...you are in for fun times. Lets say for the sake of argument that Mexico is not that bad a place in comparison to the US and all the Mexicans in the US vote for the states they are in to be part of Mexico. There could be places where there is a majority that vote to leave and Mexico decides to send in troops....doesn't make it legal or right. All it says to me is limit immigration.
edit on 3/21/2014 by fenson76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by renden

You have not been paying attention. There was news footage of international observers being turned back at the Chimeran border by masked, self-defense forces.
The USSR did practice a form of institutional slavery. Which give raise to the Soviet worker saying, "They pretend to pay us, and we pretend to work."

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Brandyjack
reply to post by renden

There was news footage of international observers being turned back at the Chimeran border by masked, self-defense forces.

Where is that footage?

The USSR did practice a form of institutional slavery. Which give raise to the Soviet worker saying, "They pretend to pay us, and we pretend to work."

Who said, which worker, when, where?
edit on 23-3-2014 by renden because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by renden

Let us see, within the past ten days on broadcast news programs. You can google, can you not? The saying was told to me by an immigrant from the Soviet Union during the 1970's. I have more sources of information, historically, then television, popular books and such, and talk show pundits. I grew up surrounded by veterans of World Wars, I and II (both sides), family and friends.

edit on 23-3-2014 by Brandyjack because: lost words

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Brandyjack
reply to post by renden

Let us see, within the past ten days on broadcast news programs. You can google, can you not? The saying was told to me by an immigrant from the Soviet Union during the 1970's. I have more sources of information, historically, then television, popular books and such, and talk show pundits. I grew up surrounded by veterans of World Wars, I and II (both sides), family and friends.

edit on 23-3-2014 by Brandyjack because: lost words

So it's not a typical Russian joke but some sort of a factual statistic which is meant to prove systematic Soviet slavery?

I didn't think so either, so let's not just say things and then back peddle. There was no slavery in Russia, but there sure were labor camps.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join