It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inside the Mind of a Serial Killer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Not sure if this is in the right place. If not, then mods, feel free to move it.

Anyways, not sure if this has been covered before but, do you think that serial killers something physically different in their brain which causes them to be such "natural-born killers?" And if yes, can it be suppresed through a caring and compassionate childhood?

Additional thought: Should/Does a child which exhibits signs of becoming a serial killer be sent to therapy or something similar?

Also, just found this web page with some quick information about serial killers.
Inside the mind of a serial killer

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 08:52 PM
link   
There was an ad on TV for one of Dr. Phil's shows a few weeks ago, where he said that serial killers have fourteen particular behavioural pointers. The show was about a kid who had nine of those pointers and was well on the way to being the next Jeffrey Dahmer.

Unfortunately I missed the show - pity that because it looked interesting.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Really? I'd like to find out what they are. I've only heard of three characteristics or common traits:

1. Abusive childhood
2. Cruelty to animals and/or children as a child
3. Bed-wetting at a late age

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Additional thought: Should/Does a child which exhibits signs of becoming a serial killer be sent to therapy or something similar?

Sure, any kid showing signs of maladjustment or problem behavior should be given help wherever possible.

In general, I would like to see more emphasis on psychological adjustment in our schools.

What is a healthy and realistic outlook on life?

What is a healthy sense of self-esteem and ego?

What is a healthy way to relate to other people?

What is a healthy way to deal with disagreements or people who are different from you?

What is healthy way to deal with mistakes and disappointment?

These are things that were never taught in the schools of my day, but I believe these basic psychological skills contribute as much to living a good life as knowing the basics of reading, writing and math.

LL1

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 03:22 PM
link   
The The Mind of The Serial Killer:

� A minimum of three to four victims, with a "cooling off" period in between;

� The killer is usually a stranger to the victim -- the murders appear unconnected or random;

� The murders reflect a need to sadistically dominate the victim;

� The murder is rarely "for profit"; the motive is psychological, not material;

� The victim may have "symbolic" value for the killer; method of killing may reveal this meaning;

� Killers often choose victims who are vulnerable (prostitutes, runaways, etc.)

But is it nature or nurture?

top topics

join