It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Trouble With Large Threads. - Not Trouser Related :)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Hi Board,

I've noticed what appears to be an unavoidable trend on successful threads....

Firstly, what exactly do I constitute a successful thread? I would say a thread that gains a significant number of thread posts, perhaps beyond say 3 pages up to the monster mega page threads that I've spotted here.

I think what makes these threads successful is often lead by a current event and/or good timing. The subjects are often captivating and/or cause immediate emotional responses.

The issue I find is that actually as a reader these threads only make good reading to page three.... beyond that the same opinion seems to sprout again and again and again from different mouths.

It's as if most people only ever read the first three pages then make a response.... then they seem to look at which page their response landed on and go from there.

Even the star system (nope we are not in star trek) doesn't appear to give an accurate picture of thread quality, only thread popularity. Get your post on page one of a mega thread and you are almost (unless you are a complete nincompoop) certainly set to gain lots of stars.

So is ATS suffering from the same issues the Music Industry and in fact all Media has over the last two decades.... it's Quantity not Quality that really counts??

The only exception to this rule that I can see are the Staffs Applause... This at least does indeed indicate a quality reward for a quality post.

Perhaps ATS could do more to weigh in the quality of content rather than the shear volume when considering say, what hits the front page.

Just my thoughts,

Peace,

Korg.

edit on 14-3-2014 by Korg Trinity because: Grandma

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Well duh, of course similar opinions are going to be spouted, it's called "a discussion". That means putting your two cents' worth in whether or not it's unique, or echoing someone else.

I've been following the main Beijing-bound MAS thread page by page since day one. The individual opinions aren't a problem to me, they add depth to the conversation, even if some personal thoughts are kind of "out there".

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Korg Trinity

Have to agree with ya. I don't have a solution. ETA: I don't usually post in a thread I haven't read in its entirety. A lot of times, I'll read a thread and if I have nothing unique to add ... I just move on. There are so many intelligent folks on these boards it almost seems like a competition to nail a subject down in a rational way. Keeps me coming back!!

Applause is always a pleasant surprise. It amazes me at times the level of participation we enjoy with the staff and owners of this site. It's obviously a passion for them ... not just about advertising revenues.

My number one though, is a response from a member I respect. I don't care if it's a steering comment, a contradiction, a simple opposing opinion, or a U2U.

-Cheers
edit on 1432014 by Snarl because: ETA

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Nyiah
Well duh, of course similar opinions are going to be spouted, it's called "a discussion". That means putting your two cents' worth in whether or not it's unique, or echoing someone else.

I've been following the main Beijing-bound MAS thread page by page since day one. The individual opinions aren't a problem to me, they add depth to the conversation, even if some personal thoughts are kind of "out there".

A quality discussion should be multifaceted and not just people saying the same thing....

What's more is I would go so far as to say that although it's perfectly acceptable to agree with someone's comments, it isn't acceptable to simply re-spawn the exact same discussion point that may have been resolved several pages earlier.

Caused of course, by the fact that the person hasn't read the entire thread. Though perhaps not entirely their fault given that there are threads out there with 200+ pages.

Peace,

Korg.

edit on 14-3-2014 by Korg Trinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Korg Trinity
So is ATS suffering from the same issues the Music Industry and in fact all Media has over the last two decades.... it's Quantity not Quality that really counts??

Sure but

What/who determines the acceptable level of 'Quality'? What's interesting to some bores or irritates others. I wont watch Honey boo boo, Dancing with the Stars, and quite a few others, Nor do I watch FOX news etc... I know for a fact many things I find interesting some think of as dry and boring.

Saying a thread should be limited to or by page three or four is not very advisable in my opinion, Oftentimes many things become very interesting, revealed or discovered by say page 6 or 7

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   

SLAYER69

Korg Trinity

Sure but

What/who determines the acceptable level of 'Quality'? What's interesting to some bores or irritates others. I wont watch Honey boo boo, Dancing with the Stars, and quite a few others, Nor do I watch FOX news etc... I know for a fact many things I find interesting some think of as dry and boring.

Saying a thread should be limited to or by page three or four is not very advisable in my opinion, Oftentimes many things become very interesting, revealed or discovered by say page 6 or 7

I'm not suggesting this at all. I'm completely against censorship or limiting ATS in anyway.

Perhaps what I'm trying to say is that the Large Mega threads need their own indexing or starter page. So people can have a true multifaceted discussion. perhaps highlighting areas that have been discussed and been resolved.

Peace,

Korg.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Staffs Applause... This at least does indeed indicate a quality reward for a quality post.

Not necessarily. I have no problem sharing the fact that I once got an applause just for posting a picture of myself.
I thought it was an inappropriate use of an applause as the post was not one sporting any quality content that was meaningful, important etc. since it was just a picture. I can only imagine how many inappropriate applauses are dished out because a moderator "personally" fancies something. Nothing towards the staff, but they are not the ultimate supreme judges to decide what is quality content and what is worthy to be of quality content. ... maybe they think they are, or ARE indeed set on that pedestal on "this" forum, but in the big picture that encompasses all of what is quality and relevant... a resounding no. They're just people.

sorry but It's true

I'm not going to butter up just because that's the sociological thing to do around here if you want to be heard, popular and liked
If something isn't right it should be heard and acknowledged despite what your ego might want - important to note that goes for ALL parties involved.
edit on 3/14/2014 by unb3k44n7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   

unb3k44n7

Staffs Applause... This at least does indeed indicate a quality reward for a quality post.

Not necessarily. I'll share the fact that I once got an applause just for posting a picture of myself.
I thought it was an inappropriate use of an applause as the post was not one sporting any quality content that was meaningful, important etc. since it was just a picture. I can only imagine how many inappropriate applauses are dished out because a moderator "personally" fancies something. Nothing towards the staff, but they are not the ultimate supreme judges to decide what is quality content and what is worthy to be of quality content. ... maybe they think they are, or ARE indeed set on that pedestal on "this" forum, but in the big picture that encompasses all of what is quality and relevant... a resounding no. They're just people.

sorry but It's true

Hahaha lol

I hadn't thought about sexual politics when I made that comment. I am a new new man... or maybe I'm just too old to consider it all.

I accept what you are saying, and yes you are right... my comments above are only true if the staff themselves have integrity.

Peace,

Korg.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by unb3k44n7

I can only imagine it was the members photo thread that posting a picture of yourself would garner such results, No offense, *I'm sure it was a nice picture of you* but, how do you know they applauded you for how you're perceiving it and not for simply participating in said thread?

edit on 14-3-2014 by SLAYER69 because: Typo

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I in no way stated anything to do with whether the photo was perceived as "nice" or not by said staff. ie: sexual. which led to the applause. You just assumed that. Inappropriate in this case doesn't automatically mean sexual, your mind just went there, as did the posters above you.

how do you know they applauded you for how you're perceiving it and not for simply participating in said thread?

Both irrelevant and assumptive points.

MY POINT (which I will repeat once more to see if you 'get it') is IF the applauses were originally established to be used by staff to indicate quality content that is of importance ...that in this case that violated what they should be used for thus it was used inappropriately.

example:..Maybe they should applause a member if they post a photo of a turtle sitting on a rock. This would surely indicate this member contributed quality and important, or impressive information that should be acknowledged....

I like how nobody understand my points in my posts leaving me having to elaborate constantly ...
I could have taken a shower in the time it took to elaborate my point because you, and the poster above you, who seemingly do not "get" the point I made

PS You used the word participation. If they are being dished out because of simply participating that's even more so a joke and indicates nothing of importance.
Therefore my conclusion is the number of applauses one recieves on this forum do not indicate if a poster is posting quality, relevant and important information -- and that the applauses are just mostly used as novelty

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by unb3k44n7

Fair enough the applause do state...

"A member of the forum staff, XXXXXXXXXX, has applauded your activity on this thread titled, XXXXXXXXXXXXXX. Thank you for contributing to the quality of our forums. You received a 500 point bonus, keep up the good work. Do not reply to this U2U.

So replace participating with 'Activity' and or 'Contributing'

So in essence posting your picture was actively contributing

Back to the topic at hand...

Finding a way to index the threads in a more meaningful manner seems interesting. Any suggestions?

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   

unb3k44n7

I like how nobody understand my points in my posts leaving me having to elaborate constantly ...
I could have taken a shower in the time it took to elaborate my point because you, and the poster above you, who seemingly do not "get" the point I made

All I can suggest is you perhaps look at how you put your point across, and try and understand that a large part of our membership have much life experience and have over the years learned to read in between the lines.

Having been accused of missing the obvious for looking too deeply is not a crime but an indication of how deeply someone thinks.

Getting back on topic though...

I would like to float the idea to the staff that if a thread get's beyond a certain number of replies it have a thread index starter page. This would at least be able to break down the subject being discussed.

I know this is what the various boards are supposed to be for, but seriously who is going to read through say 378 replies before posting???

Peace,

Korg.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   

with all due respect you're reply was one that mimiced that of a tool-like response.... and now im annoyed. and for the topic at hand i do indeed have a very good idea to index threads more efficiently and mentioned it a few days ago casually off the boards to a few people, but you can bet your buttons it will never be taken into consideration by anyone (staff), which is why Ill never bother bringing it up formally and presenting it.

All of which boils down to whether Im liking this site as much as I once did when i joined as I travel about it and see and learn more of the political games taking place, and how some of the staff respond and treat members. members are often insulted and many topics of importance left unacknowledged. i know this from both constant observation and experience. when it comes down to it its a private site, and even though the game is sometimes not moral and indeed insulting, its still their game.

i think my point was made. They should know who they are. I need not be more specific.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   

unb3k44n7

with all due respect you're reply was one that mimiced that of a tool-like response.... and now im annoyed. and for the topic at hand i do indeed have a very good idea to index threads for efficiently and mentioned it a few days ago casually off the boards to a few people, but you can bet your buttons it will never be taken into consideration by anyone (staff), which is why Ill never bother bringing it up formally and presenting it.

All of which boils down to whether Im liking this site as much as I once did when i joined as I travel about it and see and learn more of the political games taking place, and how some of the staff respond and treat members. members are often insulted and many topics of importance left unacknowledged. i know this from both constant observation and experience. when it comes down to it its a private site, and even though the game is sometimes not moral and indeed insulting, its still their game.

need not be more specific.

I'm sorry but I'm a little confused

I may be wrong, and forgive me if I am... but why do I detect so much animosity from you?

No one here has been negative about you or anything you have posted.

Why do you feel that thread indexing won't be considered by the staff? What makes you so certain that the very thought of posting the idea seems a waste of time for you?

Peace,

Korg.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   

sure about that?

Why do you feel that thread indexing won't be considered by the staff? What makes you so certain that the very thought of posting the idea seems a waste of time for you?

I have my reasons. Which are well documented, valid and personal that I will not share. you're free to believe what you'd like.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   
At the end of the day you have two conflicting goals:

- the members want a forum model that provides ever improving content
- the owners want a profit model that provides ever improving revenues

I think there is an obvious, and understandable, conflict here.
And I think we can see which one will win out in the end.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   

unb3k44n7

sure about that?

I re-read everything and yep, I'm quite sure no one has said anything outwardly negative to you. Perhaps this is a matter then for perception.... Which is what your original point was no?

I have my reasons. Which are well documented, valid and personal that I will not share. you're free to believe what you'd like.

That's fine, but please respect that no one will understand what you are trying to say unless you actually say what you mean. Maybe this is the source of your frustration?

Anyway, what ever issues you may have I wish you nothing but the best, and of course Inner Peace.

Peace,

Korg.

edit on 14-3-2014 by Korg Trinity because: 4 matting

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   
The replies here are BS and twisted. Not surprised it's pretty common occurence around this site. You point out something and your points are twisted constantly, and troll-like, patronising responses like you should find inner peace or implying I have issues are then implemented. This is how the site works when someone is trying to explain something that is controversial that people do not understand. It's like explaining things to a wall. It's pointless.

Innerpeace? I hope you find a way to 'see' what is going on around the site at times.
But you do not. I have no problem with my stance or innerpeace. And am indifferent and have nothing else to say to either of you.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan
At the end of the day you have two conflicting goals:

- the members want a forum model that provides ever improving content
- the owners want a profit model that provides ever improving revenues

I think there is an obvious, and understandable, conflict here.
And I think we can see which one will win out in the end.

Oh yes.... that old nutshell.

Well I have to say that I have not had much contact with Simon previously, perhaps a couple of times. I have to say that in the times I have had the chance to discuss with him, he seemed completely committed to adding quality to the board.

If as you are suggesting the board is focused more on the business side then I would have to disagree. I haven't received any spam U2U's about buying ATS t-shirts and other items.... have you?

Is ATS a sandbox.... kind of, but not in the same sense that certain fruit like companies have made their products, more a case of enforced etiquette.

I think the idea of indexing large threads would only add quality to the site and perhaps prevent some of the member Churn we obviously suffer.

Peace,

Korg.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   

unb3k44n7
I in no way stated anything to do with whether the photo was perceived as "nice" or not by said staff. ie: sexual. which led to the applause. You just assumed that. Inappropriate in this case doesn't automatically mean sexual, your mind just went there, as did the posters above you.

For the record

I didn't 'Assume' anything 'sexual', In this instance it was you who assumed that's what I meant. Your mind went there in your reply, Not mine.

*Adds another ATS hash mark this one for being 'tool like' Places it next to his recently acquired 'Lover of Putin'

I'm out, peace.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join