It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Communications without interceptable signals? Challenge.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   
This is probably the correct forum.

How could two or more people communicate and pass large volumes of data without sending it electronically? Such that there would be no signal that could be intercepted. No wave-length, frequency, amplitude ...
I'm not trying to be satiracal, whimsical, or fanatical: just plain could it be accomplished?
I'm skeptical about ESP, distance observation techniques and telekensis, etc... but I don't see this question as the same thing.
Is it possible, non-electronically?

[edit on 24-11-2004 by Tuatara]

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 03:56 PM
link   
We used to do it alot in the "olden days", you write the "data" on paper then put it in an envelope also made of paper. You stick a paper stamp on it, and folk "carry" it to the receiver! Fantastic huh!

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 03:59 PM
link   
But still interceptable, and probably decodable.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Can you give a little more information about your limits here?

I doubt that you can guarantee a completely non-interceptable message with our current technology. You can, however, obfuscate the message carrier so that one would not think to look there.

If, for example, you arranged to have wads of gum stuck outside the Museum of Natural Science in a specific pattern, and your message recipient would know how to interpret that pattern, it would be very unlikely that anyone would even imagine that that was a code of some sort.

This security problem, like a lot now, seems to come down to social engineering. This is a concept that hackers have used for years to get passwords and access to computer systems without using any technology other than e-mail or a telephone. In the reverse, it's used to mask what you want hidden in such a way that nobody'd think to look for it there. Cut a message in your son's hair. Shave in a specifically uneven, but not in an unbelieveable, way. Buy a specific number of commercial spots on the evening news, where the commercials themselves are unimportant but the order is. Hide the message by hiding the fact that there's a message at all.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 04:20 PM
link   
LOl ok. Smoke signals? ultrasonic soundwaves?

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Limits! I guess I'm asking for something outside the limits of our technology.
Hypothetical: I need to pass tactical data from a soldier to a HQ, non-electronically (also non-pigeon bird) in a way that can't be intercepted. How could this be done?

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 04:28 PM
link   
By "electronically" do you mean using electromagnetic frequencies (radio, light, etc) or anything that takes an electronic device to decode?

If the former, I could see using some sort of very low frequency sound as a carrier signal. Something that would travel a long way, would not be too impeeded by trees or buildings, and something definitely below the human range of hearing.

Again, the goal with this form of communication would not be to prevent interception, that would be impossible, but rather to hide the fact that communication is going on at all.

Looking outside our current technology: Assume that we have a way to keep quantum entalgled particles stable enough. Implant one in a receiver on the soldier, keep the other at HQ. Changes in the state of one particle should be mirrored in the other particle due to the quantum entanglement, basically they'd act as if they were the same particle (at least as far as my layman's understanding of that goes.)

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   
the quantum entanglement theory is very interesting, and another recent post concerning Seti is just now discussing this very similar topic.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 04:42 PM
link   
It's already been acheived at the Australian National University, the teleportation of lazers is almost two years past now and the emergent technologies are being commercially developed by IBM and HP.

www.theage.com.au...

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Quantum entanglement could possibly produce a type of communication without any need for EM waves; an instant on, anywhere communicator. If you are talking about present day tech I am afraid that we don't have communication like that.

colossalstorage.net...

^take a look at this.

posted on Dec, 25 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   
how would it be decodable if it is only between 2 people if you code it and some one decodes it he is a rat.quite simple just post it.air mail.

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Maybe you could send it as a radiosignal through hyperspace, or a higher dimension, it would be difficult to intercept.

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Laser light is so directional and focused that it would be difficult to see if not directly in the recieving end.

If you used fiber optic wire it could be compromised, but you'd know it by the discrepancy in the light on the recieving end.

Basically any visual thing you can do can be coded in a way that can be decrypted without electronics.

Anything could be modified in a way that wouldn't seem like a message, but would be a message to someone who was looking for it.

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Well , my first post (in my bad english ..sorry )

If two entities need to communicate, there will be always a way to intercept data on the fly ... if we take our currently known technologies , it's clearly impossible! And i'm afraid that new ones won't bring the solution... Or maybe temporarely. If one day, Quantum physics is our friend ;-) there will be always someone to to do the same ,with quantum physics to intercept data..and so on..

Maybe you could send it as a radiosignal through hyperspace, or a higher dimension, it would be difficult to intercept.

That's the most we can do.. make it diffcult to intercept

The only NON-interceptable object would be an object which do NOT exist in a NON-existing dimension. ..hm..difficult to receive...

An non interceptable object/message is not receivable actually. The only way to create it , is to NOT make it/write it/send it..

OK, I see the future...lol ..we'll have soon Time Paradox Encryption Harware ... woaw sounds good

Greg

[edit on 26-12-2004 by Wooky]

[edit on 26-12-2004 by Wooky]

new topics

top topics

join