It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kombucha - does it really help and how the heck do I make it?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Thanks a great link - thanks!

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

I make my tea in 1 and 1/2 gallon glass jars. I use large paper filters for making coffee, held in place with a large rubber band instead of the lid to the jars. I store it in a dark cool spot in my dining room waiting for it to ferment. Then I store in the fridge. I use loose high quality black tea and pure cane sugar. when making it. I don't add any other flavors.

What type of physical results are you looking for Kosmic?

Are you looking for treatment for an existing issue, or just general well being and energy.

Des

edit on 12-3-2014 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

I had a terrible cold or flu a while back that kicked my butt. I've just had rotating maladies ever since, it's weird, because typically I am very healthy.

I read somewhere that Kombucha is supposedly good for restoring your body back to a natural balance...particularly your gut which is where most good or bad health stems from, IMHO.
edit on 3/12/2014 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Here is the seller I buy from. Fast shipping, great fresh product, in business for 5 years selling kombucha.
www.ebay.com...

I also make my own Lipo-C...it has changed my life in so many good ways. I'm 63, don't look or feel it, take no prescription meds nor have any health issues like I did before making and taking it. If you are into making your own...read up on the Lipo-C thread in my sig.

Des

ETA: Original Lipo-C thread. www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 12-3-2014 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I credit it in large part for curing a digestive disease I had. up!

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 06:28 AM
link   
I haven't seen any claims made about kombucha that cannot also be made about apple cider vinegar. Kombucha is easier to make that good ACV. However ACV is cheaper to buy. What ever tickles your goat.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I believe it definitely makes you feel better!

And definitely boosts your immune system and natural energy levels.

IMO it truly is a wonder elixer with many benefits.

We brew our own. I asked my wife to post the exact process last night, but she accidently deleted all her progress twice

we will try again later....

I highly recommend 2nd ferment!

Take your finished kombucha tea and a 16oz empty glass sealable bottle. Place various natural flavorings (ginger root, fruit chunks, fruit juice, lots of stuff!) in bottom of bottle, fill the rest with kombucha tea, seal the bottle and let sit In room temp for 2-3 days.

Then place the bottles in the fridge, they will be ready to drink, very carbonated like a soda (yet healthy!) and extremely delicous!

The store bought stuff is not bad either, I'll drink store bought every day when ours isn't ready

edit on 13-3-2014 by GoShredAK because: Editing

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   

OK here's the instructions that came with my initial scoby.

~How we make 1 quart of Kombucha Tea ~

~It's easy!~

(Kombucha tea is NOT an exact science. You can use different ratios of starter tea and sweet tea, more or less sugar. Experiment to your taste! )

1/3 c. sugar (using white sugar produces the most detoxifying tea, the most gluceronic acid)
2-3 tea bags (or about 1/2 ounce loose tea) (Plain black or green tea is best. Avoid teas with oils or else you will grow mold. Read the label.)

1/2 c. starter tea (which is just already prepared kombucha tea)

1 quart filtered water
1 kombucha mushroom

Boil a quart of water in a pot. Boil for 10 minutes to remove the chlorine if your filter does not remove it. Add 1/4 - 1/3 cup sugar and mix until dissolved. NO metal utensils. Metal, even rings on hands should NEVER touch the culture so be aware of that. Add tea bags, steep, and cool to room temp. Remove bags. Place kombucha and starter tea (your culture will be floating in the starter tea) in glass jar - plastic may leach into tea so only use glass. Pour tea you made into jar but leave about 1-2" room for tea to "breathe" while brewing. Cover with the coffee filter or piece of paper towel and secure with rubber band (to keep fruit flies out). Place in pantry or on counter (just not in direct sun) and do not disturb! Start tasting after 4-5 days (you can use a straw) and let it brew until

your preferred taste. The longer you brew, the more acidic it gets. When you see bubbles at the top of the liquid, it should be just right, nice and tart and sparkling. Ours takes about 5-7 days, although it can take up to 10. In the warmer months it does not take as long. Some prefer even longer brewing times. Remove the mushroom and the baby mushroom (new mushroom) which may have attached itself to the first. Bottle or drink. Start all over again! We also include instructions on how to make gallon size brews as well as other tips.

Experts recommend starting with 2-4 ounces per day. Listen to your body. Some people find this is enough, others drink several ounces per day. We drink it by the glassful. Kombucha tea is a diuretic so be sure and be drinking plenty of water as well, if you are consuming the tea on a regular basis.

I make 1 and 1/2 gal at a time.

Des
edit on 15-3-2014 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Have you ever tried, or considered second ferment?

We did Another batch last week with some friends (a kombucha flavoring party!) using a juicer for the flavorings.

We juiced all kinds of stuff; beets, ginger root, pineapple, mango, strawberries, raspberries, oranges, lemon, blueberries, apples, pears, plums, lime, and aloe Vera......and that's just round one. (with the juicer anyway)....

I drank my second bottle today and it was incredible.

Except it almost exploded. We're still trying to figure out which ingredient/time combinations produce the most fizziness.....

edit on 18-3-2014 by GoShredAK because: Oops

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by GoShredAK

Thanks for this info. Sounds like a fun party!

I decided to take a jar of peaches I canned last summer and liquified them with a hand held stick blender, and added them to a batch of Kombucha tea I have brewing.

Between the kombucha scoby black tea, sugar and peaches. In about 10 days I should have a gallon the healthiest moonshine ever made...

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Des

edit on 20-3-2014 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I make my own kombucha.

This website is apparently based on laboratory studies, something that can't be said for most other sources:
www.phoenixhelix.com...

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by chrismarco

I used a 40 dollar Kmart blender for several years. Then, I got the Vitamix. There is no comparison. It changes your diet and health completely. Your best deals will be the refurbished ones from vitamix.com or wait for a qvc deal. On the qvc website, you will save about 100 dollars, get free shipping and be able to pay in installments. The price seems high, but once you find yourself using it every day, it's really not.

As for Kombucha, I have tried it and did not notice any health benefit at all. Being a fermented product, it's probably good as part of any overall health plan. It feels good when you drink it, and for that I think it has value. But, I suspect it's growing popularity might have something to do with the alcohol content. You do feel a very slight buzz when you drink it. That might make people think or feel like it's doing something.

Overall, the cost is not worth it in my view. There are much cheaper things you can do to get positive results.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join