It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sir Tim Berners-Lee: World wide web needs bill of rights

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   
www.bbc.com...

"It's time for us to make a big communal decision," he said. "In front of us are two roads - which way are we going to go? "Are we going to continue on the road and just allow the governments to do more and more and more control - more and more surveillance? "Or are we going to set up a bunch of values? Are we going to set up something like a Magna Carta for the world wide web and say, actually, now it's so important, so much part of our lives, that it becomes on a level with human rights?"

I'm glad to see Berners-Lee speaking out on this issue. I can only hope that his ideas gain traction. If we could get enough people behind this we could see a display of rights guaranteed to all people on the internet.

We should as a people support this.

Edit to add this link : webwewant.org...
edit on 12-3-2014 by Seiko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Seiko

Sir Tim bought to the world The World Wide Web 25 years ago Today.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Seiko

How well is our Bill of Rights working out for us over here?

You know the one where our 4th Amendment should be stopping the surveillance, and they don't care.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by alldaylong

That's why I like him as a spokesperson on this issue. He was trying to develop a way for people to share information easily across multiple platforms and systems. His concept of the hyperlink is what makes our web possible.

We should see the web as a way of sharing information not controlling it.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

In effective enforcement of, is not the same as the document being ineffective.

IT is the will of the govern that needs to place emphasis on such documents for it to have force,

Our leaders have been allowed to do what they have through the apathy of the people,

Things like "its doing us so well now" attitude is a big part of it.

The web certainly needs a universal standard of rights, EVEN IF IT IS ONLY AN IDEAL TO STRIVE FOR.

EVEN if its ineffective, we should always try to do better.
edit on 12-3-2014 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Seiko

"US has bill of rights for over two centuries, still needs to read it"

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Seiko
reply to post by alldaylong

That's why I like him as a spokesperson on this issue. He was trying to develop a way for people to share information easily across multiple platforms and systems. His concept of the hyperlink is what makes our web possible.

We should see the web as a way of sharing information not controlling it.

The free sharing of information has been, and always will be, the number one threat to tyranny.

Those who are against that free flow of information, are the enemy of the people.

It really is that simple, its a tactic as old as time, when you conquer you burn the library.

The internet is the modern library,

There used to be a time when the people fought the government from looking into our "library records", the fbi did this in the 90s, and it was fought on the state level, with many states creating laws to protect this LIBRARY META DATA (data about data) Becuase, the very act of monitoring WOULD CAUSE CENSORSHIP.

What do we have today? Mass surveillance of our META DATA, which means thought and speech are inherently being squashed from fear of monitoring, and yet the outcry is muted...

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

How very well said.

It takes effort to achieve things sometimes. Some of these things are worth speaking for. I would love to see this enacted, but even when faced with the possibility of compromise we will still achieve something. If we do nothing but sit in silence we can't complain. We must actively seek out and even at times demand what we think is fair.

An open web where ideas can be exchanged freely.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Seiko
reply to post by benrl

How very well said.

It takes effort to achieve things sometimes. Some of these things are worth speaking for. I would love to see this enacted, but even when faced with the possibility of compromise we will still achieve something. If we do nothing but sit in silence we can't complain. We must actively seek out and even at times demand what we think is fair.

An open web where ideas can be exchanged freely.

People forget, they forget things like the BILL OF RIGHTS, and CONSTITUTION, all that gun-ho idealism that america is supposed to be about, is not real.

ALL It ever was, was an IDEAL for all of us to strive for, to constantly make better.

WE may not have got it right, but the nation was made better by this constant striving to meet these Ideals we had not yet met.

Slavery,
Women Suffrage,
Civil Rights,
Gender/Marriage Equality.

These things come from Americans striving toward that Ideal, I have to believe that spirit still exist in America, if not in its leaderships in its people.

WE as a people hold the power, not just in America, but around the world, all it takes is just trying, just make the effort to be better.

I can't think the way things are will remain, WE the "people" I truly believe are better than that.

Every Man, Women, And child, has a right to free unrestricted access to the internet, free of worries from "big brother" , I have to think that the trend of history is away from tyranny not toward it, and that this is simply a rough patch along the path.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Seiko

Great find. I hope many people pick up his idea and both write a simple bill of rights and/or endorse it. He's one fellow who should be given ticker tape parades in all the major cities of the world.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   

benrl
reply to post by ketsuko

In effective enforcement of, is not the same as the document being ineffective.

IT is the will of the govern that needs to place emphasis on such documents for it to have force,

Our leaders have been allowed to do what they have through the apathy of the people,

Things like "its doing us so well now" attitude is a big part of it.

The web certainly needs a universal standard of rights, EVEN IF IT IS ONLY AN IDEAL TO STRIVE FOR.

EVEN if its ineffective, we should always try to do better.
edit on 12-3-2014 by benrl because: (no reason given)

This here

Truth like this is hard to come by. Good on you sir!

top topics

join