It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

challenge put forth for pc help; can't find a THING online about this.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

Dont overclock laptops, they are already pushing their thermal limits trying to cram the latest tech into such a small space. 10 degrees may not sound much but you will not only be shortening the life of the mod you are overclocking but any other parts near it.

Overclocking desktops is far easier and more reliable due to after market upgrades such as larger cpu coolers, upgraded heat sinks on memory and GPU.

Also its worthy to note that a few more Mhz on the GPU will be unlikely noticeable in games. Like wise a few more Ghz on the cpu will not really give much of a boost, besides mobile chips already mod their multiplier and clock due to load anyway.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

No, I'm looking to do the opposite: underclock. How low am I able to go? Will the minimum settings be safe?

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 04:00 AM
link   

sarra1833
reply to post by Biigs

No, I'm looking to do the opposite: underclock. How low am I able to go? Will the minimum settings be safe?

Oh I am sorry, my brain likes to skip certain words to make things more fun.

Under-clocking you can go as low as you like. To keep your performance decent, just drop 5% at a time, each time. You will find dropping your gpu and cpu clocks will see the most dramatic temperature changes, so the memory and shader speeds not so much.

If you have a game in mind to play which currently runs at a solid 60 frames, you can drop your gpu clock down till that starts to suffer, go up just a little so its solid 60 again and thats going to be your comfortable setting. However if you are playing something that runs erratically at say 43 fps, then its simply up to you to adjust it using your judgement.

If you are playing a game that requires barely any CPU but lots of GPU, you may benefit more from dropping the cpu instead of the gpu and reduce the heat that way, if they share the same heatpipe that is.
edit on b0101452 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

dunno what to do. i have replaced the pads twice now, put on new paste and now it's exceeding 99celcius.

im going to do it again, but NOT use the pads on the gpu and just try paste.

ridiculous. utterly ridiculous. the fan is blown out too so im not sure the issues here. it's bothering me.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join