It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

challenge put forth for pc help; can't find a THING online about this.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Seriously in the entire www, there is NOTHING with this information, so I'm sending out a 'challenge accepted' to you all in hopes you can help me and save my pc.

I have an Asus Republic of Gamers laptop:

Asus G60vx-rbbx05

I redid my thermal paste on the cpu and chipset and saw the thermal pads which were on the gpu (nvidia gtx geforce 260m) were getting quite ratty so I cleaned them off and put paste on instead.
I'm thinking that the paste isn't good; there may not be the means for the connection to be properly made which would be had with pads instead.
my gpu runs at about 94celcius with JUST firefox going. When things run correctly, I barely reach 60 celcius with firefox open, high end game running and other aspects going.

my issue is this: what size thickness of thermal pads does this laptop take? I thought it was a one size fits all deal but nope! I see there are thickness ranges of like
0.7mm
0.5 mm
all the way up to 6mm D:

if anyone can help me get this thickness information,
I'll owe you not just all the internets in the world
but massive major hugs and joy

because i miss gaming and im jonesing and i haven't the funds to splurge on a new desktop.
yes, im about to blow out the heatsink later today as im sure that's part of the issue, but i'd rather replace the pads, yanno? just to be on the safe side. If it came stock with pads there, it must need pads. they were a light blue - though Im sure that means nothing, but just in case, there we are.

this is my call for one/some/all of you to grab a 'challenge accepted'.

even folks on just answers couldn't help. :/

it's like finding a single cell amoeba in a 6000000000 ton pile of stuff and things. Without a microscope.

ats, halp!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   
this is a little confusing, do you mean the actual contact between the heat pipe system and the gpu/memory or do you mean the pads that stop the heat pipe touching the laptops casing?

Usually heat pipes are as close as possible to the heat source, so thermal paste would normally be fine, you then use insulating pads to make sure the pipes don't touch things that shouldn't get hot, like the underside panel.

I often change pads out for paste and ive never run into this issue.

I guess if you suspect a special size is needed [because paste is >0.1mm thick], you are just going to have to find and measure the ones you took off, or send an email to asus or the distributor (if they handle minor repairs and replacements).

Good luck

edit on b5353710 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   
..... im not too sure ROFL. you know where you put thermal paste over the cpu to keep the heat from blowing out your stuff? sometimes they put little pads on there instead. I hope that helps because that's all I know on how to describe them. Alas I got rid of the old pads, never in a million years thinking i'd need them again. there really wasn't much to them, though they were thin, I'd guess somewhere between 0.7 and 1mm thickness.

I just have a feeling if I choose either one, it'd be like doing the paste gamble: too thin, it wont work. too thick, it won't work.

the pads which were on there were kind of gummy feeling if that makes sense, though it was my first time doing anything with pads. maybe they're all like that in substance.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

It really depends how well the laptop model is made, some flex and have gaps and rattle, these are better to use pads with as the stickyness helps to make sure theres always contact between the heatpipe/heatsink. Better made solid laptops that can hold the cpu gpu memory to the heatpipe you can use the far far better thermal paste, however the difference in temperature you are seeing would not be as much.

A good quality aftermarket thermal pad will only be a few degrees behind a silver paste compound.

You are either going to have to "trail and error" with a range of pad sizes, or get some official word from the manufacturer. If i could get my own hands on the laptop, i could be of a lot more help to you. Im afraid its up to you and your judgement

If yours looks like this i29.photobucket.com... then i would use paste for sure, since the gpu and cpu are help down by screw. The laptops with a "camping" style clips are better with pads usually.

edit on b3131848 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 08:07 AM
link   
If this is an accurate representation of what you disassembled, I am no judge of size, but surely someone can help with it;

thermal pads are pretty malleable tho, and I'm not sure that as you're cooling the memory, it would hurt to have a slightly bigger than needed size?

Hopefully someone has an answer, I can't help too much, but that is what it supposedly appears like??

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by sn0rch

yes that is IT.

also, i called asus: they can not give me that information. they are ''not allowed to''.

what the heck. they want me to send it in for too much money im kinda not willing to pay as this is an 09 laptop. zero warranty.

i may just go online and buy a few sized pads and try my luck myself.

edit on 11-3-2014 by sarra1833 because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-3-2014 by sarra1833 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

yeah biigs, that is definitely what mine looks like.

without the heat escaping holes cut out.

which i would do if i knew how to use a sawsall xDDD

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
These Blue 100mmx100mmx1mm GPU CPU Heatsink Cooling Thermal Conductive Silicone Pad may do the trick for you.

Disclaimer: I am in no way at all related to or associated with this ebay account that I just linked ok!

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   
thanks! as it's shipped from china though, that takes a few weeks. i cant go w/o laptop that long, haha. but i can find something closer im sure.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Glad to be of service!

Well done to my fellow ATS members as they also helped me locate that info!

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   
So use paste compound on the gpu and cpu bits, and pads for the memory parts.

Thats what i would do in your position.

If you find that it still overheats while doing low load things, then you may have other issues, such as bios messing up your voltages, your voltage regulators faulty or perhaps faulty capacitors (check the tops of the caps are not 'dome-ed').

Oh and remember, too much paste, is almost as bad as no paste!

edit on b01011016 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

oh gosh paste is so picky; too thin, nope! too thick, nope! yet for each pc there is its own difference in thick/thin application, haha.

thanks for your help, EVERYONE. im going to be blowing out my heatsink later today as well, too, so hopefully that will stop some issues.

if that was the issue all along, im just going to laugh and shake my head. but at least it'll be FIXED.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   

So use silver paste compound on the gpu and cpu bits, and pads for the memory parts.

Just wanted to add a piece of advice concerning thermal compounds. I used to use Arctic Silver, until I found something better. IC Diamond from Innovation Cooling is a diamond based compound that is completely non-conductive unlike the silver based compounds and works better as well. If your really worried about heat while gaming on your laptop use the diamond compound not the silver based stuff.

edit on 11-3-2014 by Nucleardoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   
sounds like you might have the same problem with the Nvidia chip not transfering heat right as this motherbroad,,maybe change the thermo pad to a copper shim....

go to around 10 minute make

edit on 11-3-2014 by Hoaxster because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
The correct thermal pad is the 100x100x1mm as suggested by a previous post. Also, as suggested earlier, you should use diamond compound instead of silver.

You can check out this Notebook Review forum post how you should apply these both properly to solve your overheating problem.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I've had issues with my laptop with an nvidia video card.

I reapplied thermal paste to help with cooling. On the cpu/gpu i applied a small pea sized bead of paste in the center and spread the paste with an old credit card.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
For notebooks I would do some reading (see the links below...)

Seems like many have successfully used paste VS pads...

For desktops, the goto thermal paste solution for most has been ARCTIC COOLING MX-2 or MX-4.

MX-2 is the most popular of the two, not too thin or too thick.

MX-4 is too thick for some people's taste.

MX-2 is what Puget Systems uses BTW which says a LOT in my book...

It outperforms Arctic Silver substantially.

The below discussion appears to be the same lappy as the OP's:

"Make sure and use a good thermal paste; I used Arctic MX-2..."

How-To: G60VX Massive Performance Boost

"I had used Arctic MX-4 on my G74, and also a friends G73, so i decided to go w/ that on my G73 as well. So far i have noticed about a 7°C drop over the thermal paste that was there before..."

Thread: G73Jh Repaste - Arctic Cooling MX-4

"MX-4 or IC Diamond. A cooling pad is not very useful, the bottom of the G75 is made from plastic which does not conduct heat very well and the venting is minimal. "

Thread: what thermal paste to buy?

"...a lower gain -12 degrees on the GPU, I'm also holes at the GPU and I changed the thermal paste from the CPU and GPU by Arctic Cooling MX-4"

Cooling Solutions for G75

Asus G60 MX-2 MX-4 site:rog.asus.com
Search > AS5 paste G46 Notebook site:rog.asus.com
Search > ARCTIC COOLING MX-2 MX-4 site:rog.asus.com
Thread: Re-pasting of CPU and GPU
Thread: Thermal paste
Thread: Re-pasting gpu

edit on MaruTue, 11 Mar 2014 14:36:56 -05002pm31Tue, 11 Mar 2014 14:36:56 -050020143611 by Murgatroid because: Added link

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   
thanks for all the info!

alas, asus tech refused to give me the needed information - but i could send my old waranty-less laptop in to them for a huge cost.

ha no. imma go get those 1mm pads someone here suggested and go from there. i did blow out my heatsink and it's now at 78 celcius which is NICE compared to the 94 it was running at (this is with a cooling pad going underneath though.)

wish me luck. i'll keep you al posted on here.

Oh, i ordered some different brand of thermal paste, not arctic silver since so many have lately said it's bad news; the stuff im getting is called
Gelid extreme something.
if that doesn't work, i'll try what another poster suggested. im not giving up.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Haven't watched these yet but they might come in handy for those with ROG heat issues...

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Another quick question: I downloaded an nvidia thing that lets me underclock my gtx geforce 260m to a minimum of
core: 125 mhz
memory clock: 199mhz
shader clock: 312mhz

it can max up to
core: 1000
mem clock: 1320
shader: 2500

how low should i go? i hear this will lower the temps too?
factory settings are:
core: 500
mem: 799
shader: 1250

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join