It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time travel? (realistically)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Time travel is theoretically possible. But also in theory you can only travel forward because if you travel back to before the time machine/you were made then when you re-entered normal space time the particles that make up the object will return to where they were at that moment in history. Is this true or is there a way that mattercan travel back in time.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Lol too many paradoxs! I doubt it though, or we'd know wouldnt we, it would already have been done! We'd see folk from the furure now and have records of visits in our past! And george Bush would not be president!

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 12:27 PM
link   
yeah I'm with Instar on that one
exactly

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 12:42 PM
link   
do you belive in string theoroy becuase it will be cool to shift into another dimenstion with different laws of physics if the dimension was near our maybe you could modifiy the one of the past without physically being there just a fantastic idea

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Well, to answer your question, yes, time travel is possible. You are doing it now. We are all doing it. If we weren't, there would be no such thing as motion.

However, I'm going to assume you meant "is there a way to change 'speed' or 'direction' while travelling through time". (ie. to go backwards in time, or far ahead of the current pace). Again, the answer is, "yes", it's possible. Do we know how, yet? Probably not. Will we know any time soon? Probably not. Will humans be the ones to discover it first? Probably not. Will humans eventually discover it? Probably.

Nothing is certain, and nothing is impossible. Everything is either "probable" or "improbable".

I realize this is all semantics, but the point is that it really doesn't matter to speculate, unless you intend to go get a doctorate in quantum physics, become independantly wealthy, and make this your life's research, and be prepared to be ostracized at large by the rest of the physicists who want nothing to do with "pseudoscience." And believe me, as one who travels in those circles, the absolute last thing you want to do is get your work labelled as pseudoscience, because from that point on, your career--and consequently, your funding--is over.

If you plan on persuing this type of career, I recommend you follow the example of a Dr. Puthoff in Austin, TX, who has been exploring possibilities in Zero Point Energy for some time, but before he even so much as states anything even approaching a theory, he has an entire large heavy manuscript worth of hard science, formulas, and emprical evidence to support his claims. Though a few physicists may still roll their eyes at the supposed futility of his work, they respect the fact that he takes a hard, "real science" approach to it.

Now, if you are looking for ideas to bounce, I have one that I am willing to share. Unfortunately, it's not free--you'll need to buy the book, once it's published.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I heard about, that it is really possible..the only need is a big, big, amount of energy.The "Stargate" fiction isn�t such unrealistic.

The only problem is the use of energy

[edit on 24-11-2004 by dacruz]

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 01:26 PM
link   
This all appears to be covered in very great detail in the John Titor section. Well worth a couple of hours reading.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 01:28 PM
link   
the energy of an exploding star

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Yes. If you can travel near to the speed of light, then you can time travel, but it'd take a long time to develop well.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nexus
Yes. If you can travel near to the speed of light, then you can time travel, but it'd take a long time to develop well.

Ummm time slows down at the speed of light , but remains constant if you are not at or aproaching the speed of light. You really wouldn't be "time traveling" you simply would be "experiencing" time at a slower rate than someone who was not going the speed of light. IE if you travel for 5 years at the or near the speed of light, you would age 5 years...yet the non participants (the people,places etc) not going the speed of light would age decades, so in a way that would be time travel.

Here's a good read for ya ...enjoy

www.readmag.com...

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Actually, it would probably be a lot easier to send or receive a signal through time than to send yourself or some object. An electronic signal is energy, so the question would be how to change its state to move it through time, or how would you receive a signal from another time?

Think of a special filter on your internet connection that filters away today's connection and enhances tomorrow's connection. So when you log on, you get to see tomorrows news and whatever else you use the internet for.
You can always be sure you'll still have internet connection for at least tomorrow and maybe that same connection for the next several years. But that connection is only as good as that system your running it on depending on how far into the future you could log into. Imagine trying to use your current rig for the internet connection of 2015, probably won't work. But if you took notes, you would know what was coming down the pipe anyway. Or the connection may be noexistent due to a world catastrophe.

Now the question, would you always be able to connect from your location to the future if that location no longer exists in the future? Such as your house gone in 2 years and becomes a vacant field. Would the connection past two years still be doable? (provided this could be accomplished)

I believe the energy required would be a heck of a lot less than trying to send an object with actual mass.

Someone, should prove this before thinking of sending people.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Ok, this is how it works. You are looking at a clock and the light off of it is bouncing towards you at the speed of light and past you at the speed of light. If you move away from the clock at the speed of light it would appear that the clock had stopped because you are moving at the same speed as the light bouncing off of the clock. If you move back towards the clock at the speed of light, the clock would be appear to be going twice as fast as it was before because the light off of the clock is going at the speed of light towards you and you are going towards the light bouncing off of the clock at the speed of light. With this theory, time travel sort of exists, but essentially it doesn't.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 10:18 AM
link   
What you are saying thought is an optical illusion in a sense, but I can see wha tyou on about, if you were going twice as fast as the speed of light then time would appear slower.

Edu

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I Really think time travell is possible. maybe it is alredy happening without our knowledge...if so, probably this will keep secret forever cause I bet every single person in this world would want to travell in time to live a special moment of the past, or see someone that is alredy dead, etc...
Have any of u dreamed about something that after some days or weeks happened exact the same as it happenned in the dream , n then u say to yourself..wow I dreamed about this and it happening... well when we think , our thought has a frequency that changes as we think in something bad, good, exciting, etc n probably when we sleep. I saw this on a scientific article that explained relationship between thought and the eletromagnetic spectrum, frequencies of the waves transmited when we think etc... depending on the frequency it can 'bypass' space-time n it can go forward in time ( n perhaps back too) so we dream or think on something that after some seconds, minutes, hours,days,weeks or maybe months really happens. I really think this is not a 'special power or gift' it is pure phisics. cool stuff like this has alredy happened to me and I think it might have happened to most of u. Based on this we can conclude that time travel is possible somehow, even to matter but would require advanced technology not only in terms of achieving the speed of light, but also to be sure that the matter arrives at its destiny intact. n this is extremelly important mainly if the matter is a human being. now we get to 2 conclusions... time travel is possible and it is alredy happening in a very secret way or time travel is possible but no human being could achieve it phisically cause would die before arriving on the destiny...

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Time travel is really posible and tehre have been experiments to prove that it works. First, the grand daddy equation:

dT = To/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)

where: dT = change in time
To = orginal time
v = velocity
c = speed of light

as described by Einstein's therory of special relativity. Scientists have done multiple experiments where two atomic clocks were syncronised so precisly that a gnats butt looked like the size of a truck. One was left on the ground and the other was in a plane a number of hours. When the time was analised, the difference was very, VERY small (I think on the order of .000001s or less) but consistant with the equation given above. Fowards time travel does happen every day when you get into a car, but the effect is so small that you would have to drive 60 mph for several million years before you had a 1s difference. In fact, the effect would not be noticed to any degree until you get around 83% the speed of light (if I remember my calculations correctly). From there you start traveling faster and faster till you hit c. At that point, I think, that if you where going that fast it would seem to you that the universe ended (1/0 = infinity, therefore 1s your time would take infinit earth seconds to pass, you would reach the end of time literaly before you knew it).

If there was a way you could go fast than c, you would go backwards in time. I remember reading an artical in the paper and a magizine that a team had spead light up to 3 times that of normal and was actualy dected outside the device before it had entered it. I can only see two honest solutions to this; a) the sensor was faulty or b) the light had to exist in to places at once and had to come from the future (if it was not going backwards in time, it would have been deceted a finite time AFTER it had entered the device).

I'm sorry for the lack of evidence, but the first part if true and is in several books of mine. The second part I remember because it came out just before I started writing a paper on Time Travel.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 05:48 AM
link   

If there was a way you could go fast than c, you would go backwards in time. I remember reading an artical in the paper and a magizine that a team had spead light up to 3 times that of normal and was actualy dected outside the device before it had entered it. I can only see two honest solutions to this; a) the sensor was faulty or b) the light had to exist in to places at once and had to come from the future (if it was not going backwards in time, it would have been deceted a finite time AFTER it had entered the device).

surly this experiment proves backward "time travel/ light travel" is possible?

if the light hits the sensor before the light has entered the "accelerator" then its gone back in time?

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Yes, it is possible, but so far it only works for elctromagnetic waves as they are the only known things that travel at the speed of light. Just getting up to the speed of light will take more energy than there is in the universe

Oh, also, if you want to really kill your brain on a thought, for the light to in two places at once it must be created by the sensor that reads it and the source that creates it in the 'past' only to destroy itself in the 'future'. Now would you still consider this the same stuff or is it different?

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Ok,

If energy and matter cannot be destroyed or created, only converted
and there is a constant amount of NRG/MATTER "stuff"

then if you went back in time to say 1900, there would be
about your body and a time machine worth of matter increase in the 1900

this would upset the fine balance of the universe and could possibly distroy it.

maybe someone already had created a time machine and used it about
15 billion years ago......look what happend then
BANG!

the only way i could see timetravel "for humans" is by astral projection.
note that some people have recived reports of timetraveling whilst out of there body

so in the future maybe around the time the brain and computers merge
(like in "ghost in the shell")
there will be a system ogmented into the brain that will induce high quality constant OBE at will leaving the subjects "atral body" to go where and when they desire.

but physicly time traveling Will never be achived or if they do find a way

nobody will have the ballz to use it in case the universe collapses under the minute increased content as described above.

would scientists really risk the unknown facters of messing with the universal order and possibly ripping the universe appart?

I dont fink so...maybe bush would.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Even if time travel was/is possible in whatever form, how would we be able to set what time we would go back or forward to?

It's not as if time is kept somewhere, its just movement of objects really that define time. Considering that time is a human creation and even then our "time" might not even be all that accurate.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrentReznor
Ok,

If energy and matter cannot be destroyed or created, only converted
and there is a constant amount of NRG/MATTER "stuff"

then if you went back in time to say 1900, there would be
about your body and a time machine worth of matter increase in the 1900

this would upset the fine balance of the universe and could possibly distroy it.

maybe someone already had created a time machine and used it about
15 billion years ago......look what happend then
BANG!...

If someone went back in time and it wasn't at the time of the big bang then we wouldn't be alive today to talk about it unless you believe that every time you time travel you travel into a different dimension. Then we would just be destroying other dimensions

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join