It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Climate Council report: More than 150 weather records broken last summer

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   

markosity1973

deadcalm

Based on actual data collected over the last 100 years, we cannot say with any level of certainty that human CO2 emissions are responsible for either climate change (although a stronger case exists for that), or GLOBAL warming. Local and regional weather perhaps...but globally....no. GLOBAL warming is a myth at this point.

Okay, it's a given that CO2 is perhaps not the reason for climate change.

Is it?

Guess physics has changed in the two years since I last posted.

Release a GHG at a faster rate than even during the PETM event, and the chances are we'll see rather interesting changes in climate and weather (and ecosystems).

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 04:06 AM
link   

melatonin

markosity1973

Okay, it's a given that CO2 is perhaps not the reason for climate change.

Is it?

Release a GHG at a faster rate than even during the PETM event, and the chances are we'll see rather interesting changes in climate and weather (and ecosystems).

I concede that I could have worded that statement better.

What I meant that CO2 is not the sole cause of climate change. There are other dangers lurking like all the methane beneath the Siberian permafrost that is starting to escape and there is belief that the sun may have something to do with it along with it being a cyclic thing - the graph I posted on the last page has ups and downs for instance.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

Here is the inverse as the Mini Ice age starts to balance things out 1882 temperature and snow records broken in the USA November 2014

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk

markosity1973

BTW Colder winters were also predicted by unpopular old Mr Gore in his inconvenient truth video. In particular, North America's eastern seaboard and Europe's western seaboard are vulnerable because of the North Atlantic current, which is faltering at the moment.

Ha! The global warming crowd have covered just about every kind of weather!
"Its hot so proof of global warming"
"Its cold so proof of global warming"
"Its.... insert ANYTHING here...so proof of global warming"

If you don't understand the science that's what it sounds like. In actual practice, any specific statement by real scientists has to be validated by observation, simulation and theory. It's good to be skeptical of things you hear in the media---check that the results flow back to actual science and scientists.

Here's a question for all the believers

fact acceptors

- What would the weather be like if there's no global warming???

The weather would be more consistent with historical patterns and simulations which exclude human influence. I assume you mean no anthropogenic global warming---without the natural greenhouse effect, the Earth would be solid ice everywhere.

This hypothetical scenario (no human induced changes) has been studied heavily---and is not compatible with known data.

Even a formerly skeptical scientist at Berkeley is now convinced.

www.nytimes.com...

CALL me a converted skeptic. Three years ago I identified problems in previous climate studies that, in my mind, threw doubt on the very existence of global warming. Last year, following an intensive research effort involving a dozen scientists, I concluded that global warming was real and that the prior estimates of the rate of warming were correct. I’m now going a step further: Humans are almost entirely the cause.

My total turnaround, in such a short time, is the result of careful and objective analysis by the Berkeley Earth Surface Temperature project, which I founded with my daughter Elizabeth. Our results show that the average temperature of the earth’s land has risen by two and a half degrees Fahrenheit over the past 250 years, including an increase of one and a half degrees over the most recent 50 years. Moreover, it appears likely that essentially all of this increase results from the human emission of greenhouse gases.

edit on 19-11-2014 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: markosity1973

melatonin

Is it?

I concede that I could have worded that statement better.

What I meant that CO2 is not the sole cause of climate change. There are other dangers lurking like all the methane beneath the Siberian permafrost that is starting to escape and there is belief that the sun may have something to do with it along with it being a cyclic thing - the graph I posted on the last page has ups and downs for instance.

This is correct. There are other significant anthropogenic influences besides CO2, and in the short-run they are easier to control than CO2; but in the end, CO2 is still the biggest lever controlling what climate the Earth will end up in.

The Sun is not responsible however, other than known Milankovitch cycles, and that effect is in a downward phase, not upward. This hypothesis has been checked and measured extensively by scientists for decades. Solar influence on current global warming is negligible.

Things melting in the permafrost comes from higher northern temperatures, which is what you expect and observe from global warming from greenhouse gas increases.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join