It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Small Black Hole Grabs Scientists' Attention With its Astonishing Power

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Small Black Hole Grabs Scientists' Attention With its Astonishing Power

A black hole in a nearby galaxy has captivated scientists who are, for the first time, studying such a small yet high-powered destroyed star.

The black hole, named MQ1, resides in the M83 galaxy, according to a press release. The black hole is unique because it is the first superpowered black hole to be as small as it is.

as a microquasar - a black hole surrounded by a bubble of hot gas, which is heated by two jets just outside the black hole, powerfully shooting out energy in opposite directions, acting like cosmic sandblasters pushing out on the surrounding gas," lead investigator Dr. Roberto Soria, a research fellow at Curtin University, said in the release.

In terms of small black holes, MQ1 is pretty regular, the team found after studying it under numerous telescopes. Soria, also a member of the International Centre for Radio Astronomy Research (ICRAR), said its size is mostly what makes MQ1 significant.

First off 'Black Holes' exist.
I read the other day in a few threads people declaring that Black hole were still just 'Theoretical'. This seems like an interesting discovery. I wish they had some real images of the location. I searched and didn't come up with any, hopefully someone more knowledgeable would know where to find some? In any case, i thought some here would appreciate the update.

Enjoy.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Black Holes fascinate me.

As they relate to time, gravity, space, and multiple dimensions.

How can energy escape a gravity well like a black hole?

I'm sure there are answers out there, but I don't think I'm smart enough to figure it out!

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   
my personal interests in bl;ack holes has always been the claims that they suck in/take in everything around them. like giant vaccuum cleaners, BUT.... to WHAT AND WHERE, has always been my personal query??

???

i know theories abound, but ..... to what and where would prove extremely helpful in understanding the world/universe/etc around us.

good stuff

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing and I will have to read up a bit more.

As far as black holes being theoretical, not by a long shot. Astronomers have found many black holes and there are images of them available...taken from Hubble I believe.

One thing I found interesting, is that black holes are not black. They tend to be gray and have large rings of material around it.

ETA: Some pics.....link
edit on 2-3-2014 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   
theres not even a simulated image of it? My guess is the discovery is an error.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaFungi

Na, it's the real deal. I believe this is the pic you are looking for.

Source

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Perhaps a black hole can act as a accelerator to electromagnetism, pushing it temporarily beyond the constant speed of light in a vacuum?

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   

beezzer

I'm sure there are answers out there, but I don't think I'm smart enough to figure it out!

Energy cant escape from inside the event horizon. Nothing can escape from an event horizon, by definition! Instead, it is thought that jets originate in the accretion disk that surrounds the event horizon. Think of water circling a drain nothing falls directly into a black hole but instead spirals around it. Neutron stars and protostars have a similar disk swirling around them the stronger the gravity the faster the particles move. A general rule of thumb is that the speed of a jet is about the same as the escape velocity of the central object. so accreting black holes are at near the speed of light, while protostar jets are much more leisurely. Sometimes in unusual circumstances we see these jets being alot stronger than we believe they should be thats whats happening here.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonridr

Black holes are usually thought of as objects with such strong gravity that nothing, not even light, can escape from them. However, Stephen Hawking has shown that black holes can radiate energy. The reason goes back to quantum mechanics and the uncertainty principle. For very brief periods of time, matter or energy can be created from “empty” space because no such thing as truly empty space exists. Hawking realized that if a particle/anti-particle pair came into existence near the event horizon of a black hole, one might fall into the hole before annihilating its anti-particle. The other particle could then escape the gravitational clutches of the black hole, appearing to an outside observer as radiation.

Also, wasn't there research on neutrinos that produced faster-than-light travel? CERN?

Quote Source

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   

sheepslayer247

Black holes are usually thought of as objects with such strong gravity that nothing, not even light, can escape from them. However, Stephen Hawking has shown that black holes can radiate energy. The reason goes back to quantum mechanics and the uncertainty principle. For very brief periods of time, matter or energy can be created from “empty” space because no such thing as truly empty space exists. Hawking realized that if a particle/anti-particle pair came into existence near the event horizon of a black hole, one might fall into the hole before annihilating its anti-particle. The other particle could then escape the gravitational clutches of the black hole, appearing to an outside observer as radiation.

Also, wasn't there research on neutrinos that produced faster-than-light travel? CERN?

Quote Source

No it was actually shown to be a problem with there equipment neutrinos cannot move faster than the speed of light. Now your article is talking about Hawkings radiation thats a bit different than the jets we are looking at. This has to do with physics And empty space not being empty it has particles that pop in and out of existence. We call these virtual particles due to probability all particles exist in multiple places at multiple times. Normally these fluctuations will just cancel themselves out. For every particle there is an anti particle created the two interact and they're gone. Sort of like mater meeting antimatter now at the event horizon of a black hole these two particles pop into existence one gets sucked into the black hole the other escapes. ths is hawking radiation.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 10:50 PM
link   

sheepslayer247

Quote Source

Re-read that text you quoted, and note where it says:

"if a particle/anti-particle pair came into existence near the event horizon of a black hole"

The event horizon for a black hole defines the "never to return point".

Think of it as a sphere surrounding the actual singularity of the black hole that is out quite aways from it. Once you enter the boarder of that sphere (the event horizon) you can't return. Nothing can return, including light (hence the name "black hole").

Everything we see in images (visible light, x-ray, infrared images, etc) are showing us things all around the event horizion....but never past it.

Even Hawking's "Virtual Particle Pairs" is referring to particles near the even horizon, not past it.

I remember when I was a kid (so long ago we are not talking about it, heh), that I thought the black hole was just this ball. It wasn't until later that I read and learned more about the actual make up of what (let me add: theoretical make up of one, as we have no idea, having never been able to actually see into one), and that the "event horizon" that we hear about in movies, TV shows and scifi books, is really the area all around the black hole which is a border.

Depending on the size of the singularity will define just how big that event horizon is.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Thanks for clearing that up, guys.

These sorts of topics are fascinating, but I have much to learn in this area.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   

eriktheawful

sheepslayer247

Quote Source

Re-read that text you quoted, and note where it says:

"if a particle/anti-particle pair came into existence near the event horizon of a black hole"

The event horizon for a black hole defines the "never to return point".

Think of it as a sphere surrounding the actual singularity of the black hole that is out quite aways from it. Once you enter the boarder of that sphere (the event horizon) you can't return. Nothing can return, including light (hence the name "black hole").

Everything we see in images (visible light, x-ray, infrared images, etc) are showing us things all around the event horizion....but never past it.

Even Hawking's "Virtual Particle Pairs" is referring to particles near the even horizon, not past it.

I remember when I was a kid (so long ago we are not talking about it, heh), that I thought the black hole was just this ball. It wasn't until later that I read and learned more about the actual make up of what (let me add: theoretical make up of one, as we have no idea, having never been able to actually see into one), and that the "event horizon" that we hear about in movies, TV shows and scifi books, is really the area all around the black hole which is a border.

Depending on the size of the singularity will define just how big that event horizon is.

No what i said is accurate the virtual pairs form at the event horizon. One crosses it one does not thats Hawking's radiation.The odest thing is if something hits the point of the event horizon and you where watching from a distance you would see it stop.You wouldnt see it cross for a very long time do to the fact time will seem to have stopped.Now there is some debate if a singularity even needs to exist or for that matter does exist. we have computer models where a singularity isnt formed. But if you want to be realistic no black holes contain a singularity this is a mathematical construct. Its simply the point where our math breaks down this is why some scientists are saying our assumption is wrong. Something we dont understand happens because when math breaks down we always have something wrong in science.This is why were still looking for the theory of everything.And ill say this whatever that theory will tell us it wont be that there is a singularity at the center of a black hole.
edit on 3/3/14 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   

dragonridr

beezzer

Energy cant escape from inside the event horizon. Nothing can escape from an event horizon, by definition! Instead, it is thought that jets originate in the accretion disk that surrounds the event horizon. Think of water circling a drain nothing falls directly into a black hole but instead spirals around it. Neutron stars and protostars have a similar disk swirling around them the stronger the gravity the faster the particles move. A general rule of thumb is that the speed of a jet is about the same as the escape velocity of the central object. so accreting black holes are at near the speed of light, while protostar jets are much more leisurely. Sometimes in unusual circumstances we see these jets being alot stronger than we believe they should be thats whats happening here.

Thank you!

Can I ask another question?

Is the circular pattern always the same?

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   

beezzer

dragonridr

beezzer

Thank you!

Can I ask another question?

Is the circular pattern always the same?

No its not when a black hole forms its usually rotating because the star was rotating when it collapsed it can be in diffrent directions just depends on the original spin of the star.now we are pretty sure all black holes will have a rotation it might be very small but they all have one. There is a model that physicists will use when exploring the math of a black hole because it has less variables. This is called Schwarzschild black holes they have no rotation but as i said there possible only because in physics anything is possible due to the uncertainty principle but ill say highly unlikely.

edit on 3/3/14 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Thanks again!

Learning things today!

top topics

join