It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terrorist attack in China - 113 injured, 28 dead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Details are a little slim through this media outlet, but they do say it was a terror attack. Interestingly enough, it was accomplished by knife wielding men.

Knives… 113 people injured and 28 dead, from knives.

Now that might make people think about what exactly classifies as a WMD nowadays dun nit?

An attack by knife-wielding men at a railway station in Kunming in south-west China has left at least 28 dead, the state news agency Xinhua says.

Nothing is known so far about the motivation behind the attack, in which 113 people are said to have been hurt.

However, authorities described it as an "organised, premeditated, violent terrorist attack".

Five suspects were shot dead but their identities have not been confirmed, Xinhua said.

Pools of blood
Witnesses said that the men attacked people at random.

A survivor named Yang Haifei, who was wounded in the back and chest, told Xinhua he had been buying a train ticket when the attackers, most of them dressed in black, rushed into the station.

"I saw a person come straight at me with a long knife and I ran away with everyone," he said.

www.bbc.com...

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Started a thread on it earlier today which of course, like people do, is getting hijacked.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   

opethPA
Started a thread on it earlier today which of course, like people do, is getting hijacked.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Oh, didn't see it. I'd normally direct the mods to close, but since yours is in BAN and mines in another, it is acceptable for both to exist. If they'd like to, by all means.

In any case, feel free to direct people to derail this one…

S&F for yours.
edit on 1-3-2014 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Added reply from other thread:
Updated info:

(Reuters) - China blamed militants from the restive far western region of Xinjiang on Sunday for an attack at a train station on the other side of the country by knife-wielding "terrorists" in which at least 33 died, including four of the assailants, who were shot dead.

The attack, in the balmy southwestern city of Kunming late on Saturday evening, marks a major escalation in the simmering unrest which had centered on Xinjiang, a heavily Muslim region strategically located on the borders of Central Asia.

Muslims? Good grief, there's that word again associated with violence and unfortunately a term that draws much suspicion and animosity these days it seems.

Xinjiang is home to the Muslim Uighur people, many of whom chafe at Chinese restrictions on their culture and religion.

Motive?

The attack comes at a sensitive time as China gears up for the annual meeting of parliament, which opens in Beijing on Wednesday and is normally accompanied by a tightening of security across the country.

More motive?

China bristles at suggestions from exiles and rights groups that the unrest is driven more by unhappiness at government policies than by any serious threat from extremist groups who want to establish an independent state called East Turkestan.

Good luck on establishing anything "independent" in China.
www.reuters.com...

Well I guess I can see motive, but what a hell of a cost, and these actions seem to do more harm by mixing extremism with the perpetrator's cause or stance, but then again, by definition, these guys are extremist nuts. Why do they target the common folk for their political angst? Why not officials or authorities? (Not that I wish harm to anyone…for clarification)
Can you imagine the scene? Horrifying for sure!

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

ban knives! What we need is knife control! Why does someone need a knife anyway?

top topics

join