It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

West Coast Washout: Mudslides & Mandatory Evacuations!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   
ktla.com...

Mandatory Evacuations Issued as Powerful Storm Hits SoCal

I dont recally ever seeing this much flooding here in Los Angeles County.

It reminds me alot of the hurricane weather in the northeast, yeah that gloomy. Wonder what the rest of the year will be like, drought with patches of downpour, or just drought?

edit on 28-2-2014 by gardener because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by gardener

Finally, we're getting rain!!

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   

brazenalderpadrescorpio

Who told you to say that?

Obama, Feinstein, or Brown?

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   

After all the fires there is going to be a lot of sliding.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by lernmore

Okay, we got the drought deniers. And besides, nobody paid me.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   
i'm pretty sure there is no flooding or did I miss something? this is just a storm no? geeze people in california are like freakin out right now, omg moisture.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   

I don't know. Depends on what happens with the jet stream/oscillation/vortex as we pass out of winter. The whole thing has been strongly negative with a expansive and weak splatted out vortex most of the winter so far and it's mucking with the weather patterns. We've had similar instances of this in previous years but with less frequency, which I suspect definitely affected rainfall patterns. If this sticks then, I'm guessing drought periods until a strong and very wet front can break through the high pressure ridge in the Pacific would be the best guess.

I'm not a meteorologist though. Just somebody that happened to take climatology and meteorology in college as part of my first major.

climate.cod.edu...

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Theres lots of flooding and like the previous posted mentioned... MUDSLIDES!

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   

WhiteAlice

I don't know. Depends on what happens with the jet stream/oscillation/vortex as we pass out of winter. The whole thing has been strongly negative with a expansive and weak splatted out vortex most of the winter so far and it's mucking with the weather patterns. We've had similar instances of this in previous years but with less frequency, which I suspect definitely affected rainfall patterns. If this sticks then, I'm guessing drought periods until a strong and very wet front can break through the high pressure ridge in the Pacific would be the best guess.

If its gonna continue like extended drought then one big set of downpours then dry again, that means lots of major flooding, then mudslides, to come.

You know, when the ground becomes so dehyrated on top that rather than the rainfall draining down into the land, it first washes off the land, flooding, then instead of going down, the dried out land sitting around the floods soaks up the water like a sponge til it collapses (instead of the water draining down) and so following the flash floods, we have flash mudslides

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I wonder if the slide on Ventura avenue is finally gonna go?

I used to live under that thing.....

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I don't live there but...wth is that, looks hurricanish to me.

I saw tornado icons which have now turned to possible damaging winds on the map just west of LA a few minutes ago. Not looking forward to this thing slamming into the northwest or midwest later this weekend, we have already had record lows beating records from 1879.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 09:08 PM
link   

What's the most frightening to me is that this severe weather Is predicted to become the norm.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   

nrd101
i'm pretty sure there is no flooding or did I miss something? this is just a storm no? geeze people in california are like freakin out right now, omg moisture.

Well,even Canadian news was showing California roads washed out, and a couple of people and their dogs, getting rescued from trees.
Somewhere down there the rain wasn't soaking in very well...

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by brazenalderpadrescorpio

What's so hard to understand?

1. Feds turn off the tap. Yes, a Federal agency.
2. Crops turn brown
3. Hundreds of Million$ in emergency funds suddenly appear.
4. All the weathermen get "blindsided" by a "game changer".

BAM!!!!

BUY SOME OBAMACARE!

and I never denied any such thing...

There's always a drought in Ca., it's where I grew up.

Whitney Water FTW.

edit on 1-3-2014 by lernmore because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   

gardener

WhiteAlice

If its gonna continue like extended drought then one big set of downpours then dry again, that means lots of major flooding, then mudslides, to come.

You know, when the ground becomes so dehyrated on top that rather than the rainfall draining down into the land, it first washes off the land, flooding, then instead of going down, the dried out land sitting around the floods soaks up the water like a sponge til it collapses (instead of the water draining down) and so following the flash floods, we have flash mudslides

yes you are correct when the ground gets so dry the soil becomes hydrophobic and the water just washes away and is not absorbed....and can cause nasty flooding and alot of it

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   

lernmore

brazenalderpadrescorpio

Who told you to say that?

Obama, Feinstein, or Brown?

Ellen Deneneres. But she also thanked us for our prayers.

top topics

join