It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Church 'praying' about plan to burn Quran

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Church 'praying' about plan to burn Quran, pastor says after warning
Gen. Petraeus said protest 'could endanger troops'

MIAMI — A church planning to burn copies of the Quran on Sept. 11 is 'definitely praying' about the controversial demonstration, its pastor said after Gen. David Petraeus warned it would put in danger the lives of U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan.

Source

WOW!

Id like to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

[edit on 7-9-2010 by SilentStigma]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Well, I guess praying is better than nothing.
It would be nice if they would listen and THINK about this meaninglessly inflamitory act though.
Do unto others ring a bell?

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by SilentStigma

There's freedom of speech and then there's the freedom to incite which is an altogether different ball game.

If the Church go ahead with this, then they and its supporters should take full responsibility for any reprisals against their actions.

It seems religious zealots on all sides have and never will learn anything.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Well - my thought is if they'd done that to start with then they would have realized it was a bad idea in the first place.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by SilentStigma

If they go ahead and Actually do this , then they will Lose All respect as a Religious Organization in the eyes of most Americans . Preaching Hate is Never the Answer to Idealogical Differences..........

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I think this is the third thread on this.

Here is one www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here is 2 www.abovetopsecret.com...

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Evidently they didn't pray too long about it. They are going ahead. No mention of praying about it her. I think the preacher has made up his mind and it doesn't matter what anyone (or God) says.. he's bound and determined to go ahead with this foolhardy plan.

Koran Burning to go Ahead

"We are taking the general's words very serious. We are continuing to pray about the action on September 11th," he said.

But he said "we have firmly made up our mind" to go ahead with burning the Muslim holy book.

For being a preacher all his talk of prayer is just talk. He's is basically saying that even if he prays and God says "Don't Do It!" - he is going to go ahead and do it.

[edit on 7-9-2010 by Frogs]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Thanks for the heads up sorry guys didn't see it had already I did look but im still not used to the new ATS layout.

Mods feel free to kill the thread since it has already been posted.

My bad guys.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Are they praying for guidance on whether to hold the book burning or not?
Or did they plan this all allong,and never intended on burning-rather just wanted publicity?

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
This is America. They are free to burn the Qu'ran if they want. Satanists are free to burn the bible if they want. Jews are free to speak out against whatever they want. So are Buddhists. So are Muslims.

Welcome to freedom.

Considering how Islamic countries treat Christians, the bible, rosaries, etc ... they have no right to be upset by this. It's MILD compared to what they do. If They don't like it, they can call up their brethren here and have them burn a bible or two. Watch the response by Americans ... it won't be the same as the ticked off Islamic countries.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Regardless of what you believe about 9/11 this man's actions do a complete disservice to the people who lost their lives on that day.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 03:56 AM
link   
My guess is that they wont actually burn real Qurans. They will admit afterwards that they were just blank books and the whole 'stunt' will prove just to be to raise awareness and start a dialogue about constitutes 'real' manifestations of spirituality and how belief systems co-exist (th point being that Muslims believed the quarans to be real)

It think it is obvious that no real church would consider burning a real holy book (or at least something that is considered holy). This act has to be a bluff.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   
I think they'll burn it. When they meet God after death they'd probably realize it was not a nice thing to do. They're inciting people for no good reason.

They still have a right to be idiots though.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Sickening.

I really don't understand the point of this. It does absolutely nothing for anyone.

Any person attending this event or even supporting that Church deserves whatever comes their way.

The majority of the world will probably see this as a small minority of ignorant fools with nothing better to do with their lives than spew hatred. Unfortunately, there will be a group of radicals out there who will gladly hype this up into an excuse to hate all Americans.

They're no better than the radical Islamic fundamentalists they purport to abhor.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by 547000
I think they'll burn it. When they meet God after death they'd probably realize it was not a nice thing to do. They're inciting people for no good reason.

They still have a right to be idiots though.

They have a right to an opinion, not the right to incite religious hatred and intolerance.

Even with freedoms in mind, others also have the freedom to openly deride that group of idiots and make a stand against them.
I fully expect to see a counter-protest by intelligent people to try to out-shout them and shame them into submission.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   
This is a disgrace to all Christians and what it means to be one. I for one do not agree with their childish antics and someone needs to take those anti-christs and spank them bare butt over the knees!!! I will do it.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I see a lot of statements from people like the members of this church saying things like "They can build a mosque in NYC when we can build a church in (insert ME country full of churches but sounds like it probably forbids them here)!

I think they need to keep that line of thinking going. If they want to burn Qu'rans and they feel it is what God would want them to do, they should go burn those books in (insert foreign country they claim they want mad anyway here).

Their whole argument is how intollerant Muslims are so why the heck do they not go to Afghanistan and burn them books to show the world what tolerance is supposed to look like.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

This is America. They are free to burn the Qu'ran if they want. Satanists are free to burn the bible if they want. Jews are free to speak out against whatever they want. So are Buddhists. So are Muslims.

Kind of the same way Muslims are free to serve in the US military? They do you know. I wonder how proud they must be to be overseas, fighting the good fight to protect this right. I would imagine it is a bit of a morale buster. Can anyone honestly justify doing anything to further enrage our enemies while at the same time making our own men and women care less for us?

Welcome to freedom.

Considering how Islamic countries treat Christians, the bible, rosaries, etc ... they have no right to be upset by this.

Why? What do Muslim nations have to do with the US? The US is not a theocracy so there is no comparison. Do you believe this one church is a nation unto itself?

It's MILD compared to what they do.

Yeah, we should behead some folks on live tv too. They do worse, right? Interesting moral ideology at work there.

If They don't like it, they can call up their brethren here and have them burn a bible or two.

Who is they? You realize that a lot of the "they" that do not like this are not Muslim and are Americans? I am one of those. Are you labeling me as an enemy of the state?

Watch the response by Americans ... it won't be the same as the ticked off Islamic countries.

But apparently you hope it will be close.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnjeluvDeath
Kind of the same way Muslims are free to serve in the US military? They do you know.

I was a Chaplains Assistant in the US Army for 5 years. I'm well aware there are Muslims in the US Military. Hell .. there are christians, buddhists, muslims, jews, wiccans, jedi, _____ (fill in the blank). So what's your point?

I wonder how proud they must be to be overseas, fighting the good fight to protect this right.

Just because one group of idiots burns a Qu'ran, that shouldn't change how anyone in the US Military feels about defending the rights of freedom here in the USA. If it does .. then those military personel have no business being in the military.

Do you believe this one church is a nation unto itself?

Your comment makes no sense. Try rephrasing.

They do worse, right? Interesting moral ideology at work there.

They do worse so therefore they have no right to complain when others do something that they do.

Who is they?

Muslims overseas who get upset because some people here burn a Qu'ran.
That was very clear.

Are you labeling me as an enemy of the state?

No. But I from your disjointed response I have formed a rather interesting opinon of your 'intellect'.

But apparently you hope it will be close.

But apparently you are totally clueless as to what I hope.

This is America.
The church has a right to it's freedom to burn whatever book it wants.
The end.

edit on by FlyersFan because: misspelled because

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
the act of 'book burning' seems to be a western meme...
do the Islamists consider a Koran burning such a stigma?

will the church leader pour 'holy fire propellant' on the copies
or will he lead the members in prayer for a divine inflamation?

Drama - Performance Art - or just Disrespect

edit on by St Udio because: i mispelled the word 'fire'...what if i had typoed ridiculous?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join