It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GlobeXplorer Censored

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Call it the case of the missing White House. Users of Mapquest's free aerial photo database recently noticed that details of several Washington D.C. government buildings were no longer discernable in overhead images of the U.S. capital.

A comparison of old and new images posted on the government secrecy watchdog site Cryptome shows that portions of overhead color photos of the Capitol building and the grounds of the Naval Observatory, where the Vice President's residence is located, have been distorted -- pixilated into an digital blur.

Article [ here ]
Image Comparison [ here ]

Probably the most blatant "cover-up" ever
Definately interesting, considering a year ago you could get some very close up images of all the buildings now apparantly obscured. Wonder if this makes the images I saved and printed worth something since they were done before all this mess?

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I have to say it appears as though someone is on the job in our defense department.

Why should we give ANYBODY FREE Recon photos of our capital and official structures in the current world political climate?

PEACE...
m...

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Interesting, its illegal to fly over these sites too right?

Perhaps some new SAM or other defensive systems are going to be installed?

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kano
Interesting, its illegal to fly over these sites too right?

Perhaps some new SAM or other defensive systems are going to be installed?

I don't think its that so much as planning a route for a car or truck bomb through the city or even a plane. Heck even a RPG shot could be estimated using the photos if one took the time to figure out the distances and such. I wonder if sites that have the images mirrored, or took their own are also at risk of being censored or sued?

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Yeah it is probably for security reasons, having a map of our capital on the internet for the world to use wouldn't be too smart.

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I wonder if the Russians would ever post this info in regards Moscow? Nah.

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I'm guessing that the secret service is reading this thread. Ya think?

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Maybe Cant Be Too Sure But The Pics Are Cool I Think But A Genaral Security Hazard i Would Think

[Edited on 18-12-2003 by ShadowMan]

new topics

top topics

join