It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI agents slip into Canada without approval

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 03:23 PM
link   

An internal FBI audit shows that U.S. agents carry out investigations in Canada, often without the knowledge or approval of the Canadian government.

The most recent audit by the Federal Bureau of Investigation's inspector general, done in 2004, documents the growth of FBI operations in Canada since 2001. It says the FBI has given agents in its Buffalo field office clearance to conduct "routine investigations" up to 50 miles into Canadian territory. It also says that about 30 per cent of FBI agents crossing the border to work in Canada failed to get "country clearance." In other words, they didn't get Canada's approval.

This stinks. I thought the FBI was domestic charter only ? If apprehended these agents should be arrested and persecuted to the fullest extent of the law. If the shoe were on the other foot I'm certain the US would have their panties in a knot as well. Stay the hell out of other nations affairs, you have enough domestic issues to deal with (ie. school shootings should keep you busy for decades from the looks of things)

src: ca.news.yahoo.com...

brill

[edit on 5-10-2006 by brill]

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I think it is reasonable to assume that the "undocumented" trips out of Buffalo went a bit further than 50 miles into territorial Canada... I'm thinkin' Toronto... quite likely Scarborough. I have seen significant numbers of blacked-out suburbans with diplo plates on a number of occasions in the last couple of years...

That they work without the knowledge of Canadian officials does not surprise me, wonder what the CIA must be up to in Canada huh? Both agencies apparently have offices in TO and Ottawa set up within other organizations and companies just like most other friendly nations of the world I'd expect.

I'm impressed that this was reported by the audit but wonder about the timing and perhaps an ulterior set of motivations.

Thanx for posting that,

Victor K.

40'

[edit on 5-10-2006 by V Kaminski]

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Wow, I wonder what kind of legal mess they can get themselves into with this practice. I know Canada has very strict gun laws ... off duty officers from the US have to leave their firearm at home or apply for all kinds of special permits. I know that off duty officers have been arrested in Mexico and had to wrangle their way out in order to get home due to taken their firearms with them.

I'd imagine an FBI agent has no special powers in Canada ... once they cross that border they become a private citizen. Maybe there's some sort of ongoing agreement with the US-Canada governments that allows them to operate as a law enforcement officer within the Canadian border?? Otherwise unless they've been issued a Diplomatic Passport they really don't want to be messing with laws in other countries.

Either way, where's the professional courtesy in letting the local agency know you're there. The only way I can see this practice as valid is when in a fresh pursuit of a criminal ... but notice should be made as soon as reasonably possible. I don't think us down here in the states would appreciate the mounties running around or neighborhood without any permission.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 07:29 PM
link   

I'm certain the US would have their panties in a knot as well.

Over Canadian "agents" coming over here?
Yeah..cause Canadian spies, special agents, government agents, whatever you want to label them as, are sooo intimidating and scary right?

Anyways..what is Canada gonna do? Assemble their hay fueled tanks, civil war rifles, two inflatable boats complete with flag and broom sticks they bought from France, and their 500 troops it'd take two years to call up to mount a ground war against the gang resistence they'd meet in an invasion attempt of Detroit?

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Oh, Pleeeeze--

You guys must be either out of sync with real events, or too young to remember Leonard Peltier.

(Hello again, Dick
)

[edit on 5-10-2006 by Ed Littlefox]

[edit on 5-10-2006 by Ed Littlefox]

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by DickBinBush

Yeah..cause Canadian spies, special agents, government agents, whatever you want to label them as, are sooo intimidating and scary right?

Anyways..what is Canada gonna do? Assemble their hay fueled tanks, civil war rifles, two inflatable boats complete with flag and broom sticks they bought from France, and their 500 troops it'd take two years to call up to mount a ground war against the gang resistence they'd meet in an invasion attempt of Detroit?

Would it surprise you to know that the longest sniper kill was recorded by Canadians in 2003 in support of US troops in Afghanistan?

www.snipercountry.com...

I could have quoted the Macleans article but it's Canadian, you might not validate it.

I nod at you with my hockey helmet, holding a donut, while watching a curling match.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 08:12 PM
link   
OH! Well..as long as they have the longest sniper shot..I guess they must be feared then..

Light shines on a dog's ass every now and then

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 09:26 PM
link   
What's the deal with anti-Canada, Dick? Can I call you Dick?

Regarding someone's question about the agents' firearms, since they were in the country illegally to begin with, it's fairly unlikely that they left 'em at home.

I, too, am surprised that this was turned out in an audit, or made public for that matter. It would be nice for the MSM to give it some airtime, but I guess that's just not gonna happen.

I guess it's just a sign of how all our agencies are more or less morphing together into one group with different departments...the Wal-Mart of the government.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 10:14 PM
link   
hey dick wanna guess why canada has a small military?

because they have no enemies

i guess its cool to spend all your money on military, just so your healthcare and education can go to **** huh?

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOVUS ORDO

i guess its cool to spend all your money on military, just so your healthcare and education can go to **** huh?

This made me laugh ... because it is so true. When me and the family travel outside the US ... we always say we're "from Canada". I figure it's safer than being truthful and saying we are from the states.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 11:52 PM
link   
It's been happening for years...

Anybody remember Agent Cooper hitting One-Eyed-Jack's with the Bookhouse Boys across the Canadian border from Twin Peaks, to try to rescue Audrey from the evil clutches of her father and Jaques Renault?

Sorry...

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by SmallMindsBigIdeas

Originally posted by NOVUS ORDO

This made me laugh ... because it is so true. When me and the family travel outside the US ... we always say we're "from Canada". I figure it's safer than being truthful and saying we are from the states.

As for this story, FBI/CIA/NSA have been trampling over our sovereinty for decades. It's not a new thing.

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I have a suggestion.....arm your friggin border guards!

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 01:30 AM
link   
But what kind of investigations are the CIA and FBI conducting in Canada? This is what I don't understand...WHY are they there?

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
I have a suggestion.....arm your friggin border guards!

What does that have to do with this? Are you suggesting that we start to arrest, at gunpoint, FBI/CIA agents who try to enter my country and conduct operations illigally?

I'm all for it.

But what kind of investigations are the CIA and FBI conducting in Canada? This is what I don't understand...WHY are they there?

To trample on our soverenty.

[edit on 6-10-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor

On Wednesday the 4th, I saw on the news that Congress passed a law making it illegal for Americans to buy prescription drugs from Canadian pharmacies. I can't find a decent link, but it warranted a couple of minutes on CNN because traditionally the same drugs are cheaper if bought from Canada, since their pharmaceutical industry seems to be better than ours, at least in price.

So given the timing, it's possible that these agents were checking out your medicine industry. Although I could personally think of much simpler and less risky ways to do so, when it comes to money this administration will spend a dollar to save a dime.

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by DickBinBush

Typical response, let's bomb them because well you know thats just how the US takes care of problems. I know it must be hard to accept this but just because you have a dominating military doesn't make you right on everything.
I think we've all seen how having an almighty attitude helped New York 5 years ago. Like I said the FBI is a domestic charter, shouldn't that concern you that they're off playing somewhere and not tending to more pressing home issues.

brill

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Is this that big of a surprize? The US has never really respected Canada, and there are reasons for it. Our cow tow'ing to their demands due to the money issue. I personally find that sad because Canada is one of the few countries that can close it borders and live as well, if not better in some ways, than we do when we internationally trade. We have all the water, land, tree's, food(both in terms of wildlife and arible land), and remarkably few people to share it with.

The US being here is just making sure Stevie knows who the Boss is, why else would we send troops to a situation only 38% of the population beleives in. In the end, I think we as well as our American brothers will have some very hard questions to ask ourself's before this is all over in regards to who actually owns stuff here.

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Now you Canadians know what it's like.

Better secure your southern borders before we steal all your jobs.

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 10:59 PM
link   
OK, I've read the thread to this point, and although it may be cliche, it is left for some one to say...

"Badges?! We don't NEED no Stinking BADGES!"

Seriously, the US has, for quite some time favored the conduct its international dirty work in other nation's backyards. One of the "privledges" assumed of super-power status.

Besides, if an operation goes "wrong", there's always "plausible deniability"; what happens in some other country stays in some other country.

See: Rendition.

<<   2 >>

join