It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Northern Lights reports in ENGLAND!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I just had my son on the phone who is out and about in Edinburgh, Scotland and he says there are Green lights high in the North West sky. I can't get out (DIsabled) to see this..I had a friend on Facebook from Newcastle, England say he can see them. Can ANYONE else in Europe see this?
Anyone who would not usually see them. Can you check?
My son is taking pictures, he will be home in a few hours I will post the pictures..

In the meantime can anyone else see this?

Regards
Shaun
edit on 27/2/2014 by shauny because: (no reason given)

edit on 27/2/2014 by shauny because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by shauny

Looking forward to seeing an pics.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by shauny

I don't live in Europe -- St. Louis, Missouri USA.

We as a norm don't see northern lights, but there times we do depending on what the sun is sending our way.

edit on 2/27/2014 by Chamberf=6 because: extra word

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Looks like it can be seen as far south as Essex.

BBC reporting it too... www.bbc.co.uk...

I'm off to look out window!
edit on 27-2-2014 by FlesyhTwonk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I hope we see them over here ... it's a clear night. Seeing them is on my bucket list.
I'll have to go out and take a look every so often this evening ....

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Nothing down here in Sussex, did see them couple of years back, reddish.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
everytime you can see Aurora in Europe, it is cloudy and rainy at my place

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
sorry for doublepost
edit on 27-2-2014 by aLLeKs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Nice! The last time I saw the Northern Lights I was about as far south as London. 51st latitude here in Canada.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
There was a big blast from the Sun. It was expected to make a glancing blow to the Earth, an updated tale from Spaceweather.

spaceweather.com...
Had it been a head-on event it would be possibly troublesome. US'er's might expect to see aurora after dusk.
The Northern sky is well lit here, but there are also clouds from my point of view although the sky is clearing fast.

A picture from Denmark,

(courtesy spaceweather.com)
edit on 27-2-2014 by smurfy because: Image.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I saw the northern lights the other day, the last sun flare, but I haven't checked this time around. I'm way up here in northern WI and we usually get some pretty good northern light shows. Are they unusual for you guys in UK?

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
here's space weather.

www.swpc.noaa.gov...

as you can see from the map. scotland gets lucky.

www.foxnews.com...

The sun fired off a major solar flare late Monday, making it the most powerful sun eruption of the year so far and one of the strongest in recent years.

The massive X4.9-class solar flare erupted from an active sunspot, called AR1990, at 7:49 p.m. EST. NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory captured high-definition video of the monster solar flare. The spacecraft recording amazing views the solar flare erupting with a giant burst of plasma, called a coronal mass ejection, or CME.

Earth isn't in danger from the latest eruption of space weather activity, according to officials with Spaceweather.com, which tracks space weather and stargazing events. Sunspot AR1990 (previously named AR1967) is located on the southeastern limb of the sun, pointed away from Earth. This is the third time this sunspot has rotated onto the Earth-facing side of the sun.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I've just popped outside where I am and no sign at all. Just the sweet sounds of some drunken teens and cats fighting in the distance. It's cold. It's clear. I've have far too much wine to start imaging Saturn, which has just popped up above some houses out back, and it's damned shame I can't see any aurora.

Such is life in Blighty, I guess.

Some rather good pics appearing on the ol' twitter though!

Happy Aurora Hunting, my fellow Brits.
edit on 27-2-2014 by cado angelus because: Homophones - grrrrr

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   

I just had my son on the phone who is out and about in Edinburgh, Scotland and he says there are Green lights high in the North West sky.

I just have one thing to say ,Buckfast tonic wine.

People in Scotland will know what im talking about
lol

edit on 27-2-2014 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Yup good ole Buckie lol.

Am down here in central Manchester, keep going out but it`s too "street lamp orange" here, such a shame!!!

Saw them up in the hills round Buxton once, bout 10 years ago.

Absolutely stunning.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by fenian8

I used to live in Aviemore for a while but was never lucky enough to see the lights..least not the real ones

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by shauny

I had an email from my friend who lives on the Isle of Skye (off the west coast of Scotland) to say she was watching the northern lights tonight ... I live on the edge of the North Yorkshire Moors nr the N.E coast and have seen nothing even though it's a clear frosty night.

That said I have been lucky enough to see the lights twice so far ... once when I was visiting said friend on the Isle of Skye a couple of years ago and once when I was celebrating a Pagan Sabbat on the beach at Whitby (N.E coast) near to where I live and it has to be said ... they are a sight to behold.

Woody )O(

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I would not be surprised at all, with reports in England tonight, they were seen a lot farther south than normal. Great night for photography. Here are a few (I have none from England sorry, just Scotland and Ireland (and Space)).

Donegal (Ireland)

Aberdeen (Scotland)

Inverness (Scotland)

Inishowen, Donegal (Ireland)

Donegal (Ireland)

Isle of Lewis / Harris, Outer Hebrides (Scotland)

Stonehaven (Scotland)

Edinburgh (Scotland)

Creich Castle, Fife (Scotland)

Space (NASA)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Oops, one more image from Stonehaven (Scotland) sorry.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join