It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Replicator Technology

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Ok I was wondering about this for say the last week or so, but has anyone ever created the technology or come up with ideas on how a kind of Replication Technology could be produced (Like the ones in star trek)

If this technology was ever to be built then it could mean the end of many industries and could lead to many world problems being fixed for example the food crisis....However it could be used for creating weapons.

I have many ideas on how this could be created but I am wondering if anyone else has ideas, on this topic...

Additionally does anyone here, have any information about molecular scanning and if possible a way of storing these patterns in a database or bufffer.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I remember hearing something about a month or two ago where a lab has come up with a way to transport one atom to another destination, but it is only a copy, and not the original, as the original is destroied in the replication. Untill this tech gets more study, you will just have to keep using your fax machine for replication and transport.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Still this idea of creating and destroying is one that would aid the Replication technology. How did they create the second atom ? Cos once this is done on a mass scale and the patterns for objects are programed into a computer then replication COULD work in theory.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I will try to find the link for the site, On said site it had info on how it would work, and an estimated year if when the tech. will be invented (publicly atleast.

The way in which, even before I read this site, I figured it would work is somehow changing the atomic structure of say, garbage into what ever the desired item was.
I think they said it will be done with nanobots that are comprised of a mere 400 atoms, On a side note the Star Trek replicator works on the transporter basis, it takes a lump of the material(s) needed such as say carbon to make food and changes its structure while it is in an energy stase.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 04:08 AM
link   
You're probably talking about quantum entanglement there. One atom (like carbon) gains the exact characteristics of another (carbon) atom at another location. HOWEVER, due to quantum uncertaintly, in order for this second atom to behave exactly the same way as the first one, and at exactly the same time, even though they are in two different locations, is if you don't know the exact state or either atom. As soon as you find out the exact state of one atom, the other ceases to exist....or something like that.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 05:06 AM
link   
I recall hearing about that one atom transport technology thing. I believe there was a problem with that though. The ammount of information in one atom is vast, imagine attempting to create/transport an entire item or entity. Each atom would have to be thoroughly scanned then transfered and rematerialized at another location exactly as it was before. That would requier too much energy, scanning and memory storage than we can currently deal with.

Eventually we very well may have fast enough computers and scanners to do such a thing properly, moving something or someone, or creating it from scratch, but that's far off. I believe nanotech will come first. It'd be alot cheaper as the nano devices could reproduce one another (assumin they can create anything) and at that point they could build something.

It's the future, I would expect to see viable nanotech creation of items some time in some of our members lifetimes. It'll truely be revolutionary. I wonder what problems that might solve, or create.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 12:13 PM
link   
ok first of all to get damn good replicators you would have to make nano technology scientists at the moment are working on getting somthing in a molocule but this is more fantasy than fact

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 02:18 PM
link   
The closest thing we have to replicator technology today is the rapid prototyper.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 04:33 PM
link   

However it could be used for creating weapons.

That's probally the worst thing that could happen. Which means that it would have to be used by governments only, but how could we trust them? They could replicate nukes as many times as they wanted, this would be very dangerous.

I do think that this technolgoy could come in handy, but could proove to be the end of Humanity (Nuclear Wars worldwide).

So, at this time, we shouldn't have access to this technology, for our sake, and for the sake of human kind. When we finally get to global peace, then we should go for it...

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   
You have to reember though, like with every technology, there are good and bad uses.

Ok the weapons are something that are a problem unless there was a some form of program to restrict that kinda of things, such as food and clothing....Still until the nanotechnology does become semething better, we are living fantasy but once this technology is available, a new era wil begin.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 04:58 PM
link   
funny when u think of it 1 atom beeing transported is easy peezy when u think how small an atom is and i know how that is

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 04:59 PM
link   
If one atom can be transported, why cant two ? or Three ?

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Well as stated above this technology already exists(sorta). Desktop Manufacturing will the next big thing after Consumer 'Bots hit the big time.
Here is the link the video is the first one on the page.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 05:03 PM
link   
What do these consumer bots do then ? Do they change one form of material into another by re-arranging atoms ?

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Hehe no I wish. I was just hinting at how long its gonna take for just a desktop rapid prototyping machine to go mainstream you should watch the video i linked ya too very interesting
Consumer 'Bots(like the ones japanese construction firms are funding because they have an acute skilled labor shortage ie they want cheaper labor) We are a looong way off from any type of rapid nano-assembly being available on ebay heh

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   
HAHA, I wish I could see the vid, but for some reason I cant see it
Dam stupid computer....I was down the local university today, and there they had a 3d printer which allowed for you create a design on the computer and it would assemble a prototype model, however this is far from replication, would never result in food issues begin solved.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by racos
HAHA, I wish I could see the vid, but for some reason I cant see it
Dam stupid computer....I was down the local university today, and there they had a 3d printer which allowed for you create a design on the computer and it would assemble a prototype model, however this is far from replication, would never result in food issues begin solved.

Well don't be so sure. Just because I can't make food it can help rural villages with only solar &/ wind power available. They have actually taken a rapid prototyping machine to a rural village in africa where one of the only universities south of the sahara exist, and they trained them for 2 weeks(i believe cant remember or find the link),left them after the 2 weeks with about 6 weeks of supplies and after 3 months they did a check and they never even hiccuped when they ran out, they just switched to locally obtained supplies wich improved the economy, made totally new products that were otherwise unavailable before they got the machine, they were initially making things like Plastic Braclets(to learn on just to get the basics down cuz CAD programs can be complicated), Keychains etc etc. Then after the instructors left and the local Profs took over they set about to start making things people could use, like piping for one. Cant really remember the article much from there on, I believe it was on Wired or Nature ill make a more thorough check.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Seems interesting.....Its intereting to see how different technologys we take for advantage can make such a difference in the difference cultures of the world.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 02:07 PM
link   

You have to reember though, like with every technology, there are good and bad uses.

Ok the weapons are something that are a problem unless there was a some form of program to restrict that kinda of things, such as food and clothing....Still until the nanotechnology does become semething better, we are living fantasy but once this technology is available, a new era wil begin.

But what will people do? Get one of these tools and sell everyhting they get off of them. Money could be replicated, it may as well be, with people selling all the stuff...

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nexus

But what will people do? Get one of these tools and sell everyhting they get off of them. Money could be replicated, it may as well be, with people selling all the stuff...

Well in that case we would have to completely rethink all of our economic models. Eventually with enough atomic precision these machines could potentially churn out valuble products like Silicon chips, Optical chips etc.. In a future like this Intelectual Property will be the only thing that has value(relatively speaking that is I'm sure that we'll come up with a totally new models for economics and place value on different things than we do now)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join